HIk cam poe voltage

themow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 2032I. I have been using it with 12power supply plugged into the cameras port. I bought a passive POE injector. I plugged 12v into it and the camera will not power up. What voltage and amperage should I be using? I have read 48V but hiks documentation mentions 12v

Attachments

kbhenze

n3wb
Reaction score
The POE standard is 48 volts, so 12 will not work.That injector should need 48 volts also.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hikvision documentation states that the PoE standard implemented is 802.3af - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet which at the providing end is 44-57v, nominally 48v. Note that the power is only made available following the activating 'handshake' indicating that the receiving device is PoE compliant.
Hikvision cameras can be powered either using 12v DC via the socket for that purpose, or using PoE via the Ethernet cable.
To do the job properly you should really use an active PoE injector. A passive injector does no more than feed the applied voltage to the Ethernet cables, as per the diagram on your picture.

themow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Not disagreeing, just trying to understand. If I use a 48v adapter plugged into this passive injector, how is that different from an active injector?

Also if an active injector is superior, does anyone have any experiences with these $8 ebay units?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Not disagreeing, just trying to understand. If I use a 48v adapter plugged into this passive injector, how is that different from an active injector?

Also if an active injector is superior, does anyone have any experiences with these $8 ebay units?
Stay away from no mane junk from ebay.
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PoE150S-Gigabit-Injector-compliant/dp/B001PS9E5I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1444686402&sr=1-1&keywords=poe+injector

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If I use a 48v adapter plugged into this passive injector, how is that different from an active injector?
An active injector should conform to the 802.3af standard, so that power is applied safely and in the way that the camera requires based on it's role under the same standard.

themow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Makes sense. Thanks for the info.

I just ordered the TP-LINK TL-SF1008P
fills 2 needs

Last edited by a moderator: