High CPU without cams

Reaction score
I recently acquired a used Optiplex 7050 with a i5 6500 CPU to pair with my 2 Hikvision cameras that I've been using without an NVR for the past year. After installing Blue Iris as a VM in Proxmox and then attempting to use it bare metal, I'm seeing significant CPU usage even without any cameras added on a fresh Windows 10 installation.

I've followed the guides for reducing CPU usage (with and without the cameras added), of course it's lower without them but hitting near 100% CPU usage when allocated 2 cores and no cameras seems odd to me.

Edit: Prior to purchasing the Optiplex I tested BI as a VM on my PC and it seemed fine even when allocated even a single core and 2GB of memory.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure what impact it has a VM in Proxmox, but I am leaning towards that or some driver issue associated with the VM.

Even a 4th gen running BI with no cameras enabled will sit at 0%.

I assume because you are using a VM that you plan to use the box for other things? For testing assign the entire CPU to BI and see what happens.

Maybe try to delete and reinstall BI?

Reaction score
Not sure what impact it has a VM in Proxmox, but I am leaning towards that or some driver issue associated with the VM.

Even a 4th gen running BI with no cameras enabled will sit at 0%.

I assume because you are using a VM that you plan to use the box for other things? For testing assign the entire CPU to BI and see what happens.

Maybe try to delete and reinstall BI?
I also tried installing it bare metal on Windows 10 and had more than 0% usage without cameras, both were completely fresh installs of Windows and BI

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Something is certainly wrong!

By fresh installs, I assume you mean with the Windows Media Creation Tool that eliminates the computer manufacturer bloatware, or was it a "fresh" install from the recovery on the drive?

Reaction score
Something is certainly wrong!

By fresh installs, I assume you mean with the Windows Media Creation Tool that eliminates the computer manufacturer bloatware, or was it a "fresh" install from the recovery on the drive?
Yeah. I'm not sure what's causing it, I've even tried Windows Server