HFW5442 cam - What NVR

BryanJ00

n3wb
Reaction score
I am new to this game but have decided to splash out on 5442 cameras. What 8Ch NVR is recommended?

As I understand it, if the camera has WizMind then it is not required in the NVR. Am I correct.

Thanks.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
As I understand it, if the camera has WizMind then it is not required in the NVR. Am I correct. Better buy the NVR support it too.
I think you want to have the Face Recognition function, so if your camera is not FR cam, have to buy a NVR5216-16P-I/L , this one is the most professional one.

BryanJ00

n3wb
Reaction score
So I was quoted on the NVR5208-8P-4KSE2, placed the order for the installation and now I find out that it is actually the NVR2108HS-8P-I, which they tell me has the same specs. I don't believe this is the case but haven't had time to study it closely.

Please can one of the experts summarize the differences for me.

Thank you.

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The 2108 is an interesting piece of kit, due to the AI. The downside is that it's very limited with AI-channels.
I (always) recommend the 5-series as it's so much more competent. I ran the 4-AI-series before upgrading to the 5-series.

If you can see yourself running cameras tracking plates or PTZ with video metadata etc you definitively want the 5-series as 2- and 4-series lack a lot of functions.
Depending on your setup built in POE-ports may be redundant. If you will run cable from the NVR to each camera, then you should have the POE-version.
As I have cameras on various buildings I utilize my already existing LAN and do not use the POE ports from the NVR.

Edit: In the end of this video, from 1:30, you can see how Video Metadata work on the 5-series, you get LPR "for free". 4- (and 2-)Series are no way near this. The camera in the video is a 7442, all "big" PTZs also support Video Metadata with the same result.

Last edited:

kobebeef

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks. Face recognition is not a requirement, more looking for Human / Vehicle detection.
If you can still buy.
NVR4216-I is also a good choice.
Has Face recognition and Human / Vehicle detection.

BryanJ00

n3wb
Reaction score
My apologies and thank you, I have been trying to source equipment.
So I eventually saw the equipment today:
HFW5442EP-ZE, I assume the P is for PAL so all fine.
DVR5216-16P-4KS2E (no 5208's available).

All sounds good but the camera was manufactured in May 2020 and the NVR in May 2021, nowhere on the boxes is WizMind mentioned. Are these pre WizMind and is all that's required a firmware upgrade to WizMind, or is it not so simple?

Thanks in advance.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WizMind is simply a marketing term. If the camera comes with what you want (AI for human and vehicle for example) then you are good to go.

BryanJ00

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok I'm confused. Surely WizMind is a tradename for a level of AI firmware and if I don't have it in my camera it would be a disadvantage?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope, WizMind and WizSense are simply marketing terms for the capabilities covered under each.

WizSense is geared towards the smaller installations (and usually cheaper cameras) and WizMind is geared towards businesses (usually more expensive cameras) - so things like people counting, loitering, etc. are important to them (although some of the 5442 series has those as well).

So you just look for the features you want and purchase the correct camera from what you are trying to accomplish.