Help with Hilook NVR and Cameras - factory reset NVR

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
How long to wait for TFTP? I had this one going for 12 minutes....
Once the file is transmitted, it's either checked and quietly deemed invalid, in which case no further messages occur, or after maybe 2 to 3 minutes will say 'Firmware update completed' if the firmware has been successfully applied.

Either way, after the file transmit, wait about 3 minutes then shut down the tftp updater and power cycle the camera, see what the status is with SADP.
Success will be if it comes up as 'Inactive'.

Jayson H

n3wb
Reaction score
Once the file is transmitted, it's either checked and quietly deemed invalid, in which case no further messages occur, or after maybe 2 to 3 minutes will say 'Firmware update completed' if the firmware has been successfully applied.

Either way, after the file transmit, wait about 3 minutes then shut down the tftp updater and power cycle the camera, see what the status is with SADP.
Success will be if it comes up as 'Inactive'.
Nothing so far.... will keep trying tomorrow.

Jayson H

n3wb
Reaction score
I have tried a number of firmware versions, nothing yet.

Interesting developments: The two red lights on the camera stay on permanently now, whereas previously they went on for about 20 secs.

The camera is no longer coming up on SADP.

I tested a non-flashed camera, and it comes up on SADP.

Any ideas what this means?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have tried a number of firmware versions, nothing yet.

Interesting developments: The two red lights on the camera stay on permanently now, whereas previously they went on for about 20 secs.

The camera is no longer coming up on SADP.
That's not good.
It means that the updater in the camera validated the firmware and applied it, but the camera does not boot it properly, for reasons unknown.
What version of firmware was it that caused this?

This must be very frustrating.
Having got to the point where firmware can be applied using the Hikvision tftp updater, but not having any firmware that works.

There are other steps that can be taken to explore this further (remembering that the original purpose was to regain access due to an unknown password) but they would require yet more time spent on the topic.
Arguably it's not a very cost-effective thing to do, though there may some interest and satisfaction in doing so.

Jayson H

n3wb
Reaction score
That's not good.
It means that the updater in the camera validated the firmware and applied it, but the camera does not boot it properly, for reasons unknown.
What version of firmware was it that caused this?
No idea, I applied 5 or 6 before I started checking with SADP.

This must be very frustrating.
Having got to the point where firmware can be applied using the Hikvision tftp updater, but not having any firmware that works.

There are other steps that can be taken to explore this further (remembering that the original purpose was to regain access due to an unknown password) but they would require yet more time spent on the topic.
Arguably it's not a very cost-effective thing to do, though there may some interest and satisfaction in doing so.
I dont mind, I have the time at nights, and have 8 cameras that need fixing.... my time is free, whereas the cameras will cost me $800+.

I am learning a lot....

What have you got in mind?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What have you got in mind?
There is still the slight long shot of using the 'Forgot password' button in SADP on a working camera to export the reset request XML file and send to Hikvision technical support.

Another next step in exploring how to properly gain access to these cameras would be to connect up to the serial console.
That's an internal communications port that provides a command interface and live log output from the running system.

On all the Hikvision products I've seen, this is provided by a 4-pin header on the circuit board.
To access this you need a couple of low-cost items, usually on eBay :

A serial TTL to USB convertor such as a PL2303TA-based device.
A 4-pin 1.5mm JST ZH wired connector, usually sold in 10-packs.

Jayson H

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Everyone, especially @alastairstevenson .... I have managed to get 7 of the 8 cameras going! Before ordering the hardware above, I thought..... as a long shot, I will email Hikvision support, and see if they help me. My hopes were not high, given the other stories I had read online. It took four days, but I managed to get codes for each of the 7 Cameras that hook up to SADP, using the lost password feature. Because they have to stay powered on and connected to the router, I could only do one at a time. Sometimes support got back to me in an hour or two, sometimes it took 12. Not sure if it was an automated process, as I was asking questions for the first couple of re-sets, like "I have 8 cameras, can we do this easier?", and I also replied to one email, which got no response, so I ended up opening a new case each time, with a new email, then adding the snapshot of the camera and the XML file.

Anyways, happy days! And thanks for the help. I learned a lot!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have managed to get 7 of the 8 cameras going! Before ordering the hardware above, I thought..... as a long shot, I will email Hikvision support, and see if they help me.
Well, that's a good result! Using the Hikvision password reset request service does seem to be a bit hit and miss - but your experience has been more on the hit side.
Good to hear!