Help with Hilook NVR and Cameras - factory reset NVR

Jayson H

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey there,

I bought a second hand Hilook DVR and cameras recently. I naively thought factory resetting the NVR would be a good idea, now the cameras aren't being recognised.

At first I assumed it was the dreaded IP Camera password issue, but wanted to check here before chucking the lot out.

The NVR Model is NVR-208MH-C/8P, and the cameras are IPC-T240H.

I changed all the passwords when I re-configured the NVR, but I have the original Admin password from the owner. If I use "plug n Play", the error message is "user name or password is wrong".

When I plug in a camera, and use a password, it gives an error message "The Network is unreachable" and under "Fault Recommendation", has a list starting with "Network Connection failed".

I know its a long-shot, but can anyone help me out? What else can I do or check?

Cheers

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I changed all the passwords when I re-configured the NVR
Including those of the cameras?

You need to match up the camera IP addresses and the camera passwords with the IP address and password as configured on the corresponding NVR PoE channel.
Suggestion :
In the NVR web GUI, Camera Management, note down the IP address that's configured for each PoE channel
Connect a PC to an unused NVR PoE port and use SADP to find one camera at a time, and match it's IP address to the channel it's connected to.
Changing the IP address with SADP will require the correct camera password.
If the NVR then complains about the camera password, apply the correct password under Camera Management in the NVR web GUI, with the channel in Manual mode as opposed to Plug&Play..

Jayson H

n3wb
Reaction score
Including those of the cameras?
Not that I am aware of. I did a factory reset, then installed the latest firmware, ran the initial Wizard, which prompted passwords.

You need to match up the camera IP addresses and the camera passwords with the IP address and password as configured on the corresponding NVR PoE channel.
Suggestion :
In the NVR web GUI, Camera Management, note down the IP address that's configured for each PoE channel
Connect a PC to an unused NVR PoE port and use SADP to find one camera at a time, and match it's IP address to the channel it's connected to.
Changing the IP address with SADP will require the correct camera password.
If the NVR then complains about the camera password, apply the correct password under Camera Management in the NVR web GUI, with the channel in Manual mode as opposed to Plug&Play..
When I change the IP Address in SADP to match the address on the NVR, it gives me a "Device Rejected" notification:

1669626472317.png

Does that mean the password is wrong?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
When I change the IP Address in SADP to match the address on the NVR, it gives me a "Device Rejected" notification:
That means that the camera password used in SADP to change the IP address is incorrect.

The original default behaviour for cameras added under 'Plug&Play' to NVR PoE ports is for the NVR to use the NVR admin password to activate the cameras.
Did you use the original NVR admin password to set the camera IP address?

Jayson H

n3wb
Reaction score
That means that the camera password used in SADP to change the IP address is incorrect.

The original default behaviour for cameras added under 'Plug&Play' to NVR PoE ports is for the NVR to use the NVR admin password to activate the cameras.
Did you use the original NVR admin password to set the camera IP address?
Yes.... I suspect the person I bought it off changed the NVR password to a generic one (A1234567), Would this have changed the camera password as well?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any chance this is NOT a Camera password issue?
SADP rejecting the admin password being used to attempt the IP address change suggests it is.

As a long shot you could ask the seller to share the original NVR password, which may be what's been applied to the cameras.
Failing that - you'd need to reset the camera to the 'Inactive' state.

The product info for that camera does not mention a reset button.
In theory you could use the 'Forgot password' link in SADP, which will export a reset request file to send to Hikvision, though they are unlikely to respond.
The next method would be to reset by re-applying the same version of firmware using the Hikvision tftp updater method.
The trick will be finding the correct firmware to use.
HiLook firmware isn't widely published, but I've found in the past that the normal series firmware can be used via the tftp updater method.

Jayson H

n3wb
Reaction score
SADP rejecting the admin password being used to attempt the IP address change suggests it is.

As a long shot you could ask the seller to share the original NVR password, which may be what's been applied to the cameras.
Failing that - you'd need to reset the camera to the 'Inactive' state.

The product info for that camera does not mention a reset button.
In theory you could use the 'Forgot password' link in SADP, which will export a reset request file to send to Hikvision, though they are unlikely to respond.
The next method would be to reset by re-applying the same version of firmware using the Hikvision tftp updater method.
The trick will be finding the correct firmware to use.
HiLook firmware isn't widely published, but I've found in the past that the normal series firmware can be used via the tftp updater method.

Excellent! I have messaged the seller, hopefully he gets back to me.

It really seems bad practice from Hikvision that there isn't a work around here.... from an environmental perspective, there has been a lot of energy spent in making these cameras, only to end up in land-fill......

Will give it a day or two for the original owner to get back to me.... how likely is the tftp method to work?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
only to end up in land-fill.
They should not end up in landfill due to a lost password ...

What is the firmware version as shown by SADP?

how likely is the tftp method to work?
It should work OK, provided compatible firmware can be sourced.
I've used R6 series firmware on a IPC-T140 with no problems.
The EU portal might have suitable firmware though the model isn't a full match :

Maybe this also :

Jayson H

n3wb
Reaction score
They should not end up in landfill due to a lost password ...

What is the firmware version as shown by SADP?
Its V7.3

It should work OK, provided compatible firmware can be sourced.
I've used R6 series firmware on a IPC-T140 with no problems.
The EU portal might have suitable firmware though the model isn't a full match :

Maybe this also :
I will give the original owner an extra day to get back to me, I can see he hasn't read the message yet.

Jayson H

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, I have not heard from the old owner, so am moving to Plan C - TFTP.

I have read and re-read the instructions in the original thread. So far I have:

Downloaded the TFTP from here:

Downloaded and installed CuteFTP, and enabled Telnet in Windows.

Now I am stuck at the first hurdle! How do I:

"You will also need your original mtd5 & mtd6 files." - where do I get these?

"Set your PC IP to 192.0.0.128" - is this the same as opening a Chrome Window and using the IP address?

Sorry for all the basic questions, I am sure people have asked these in the past, so it is easier to point me towards a youtube clip or other reading, happy to do that.

Cheers

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Downloaded the TFTP from here:
That's the Hikvision tftp updater tool, tftpserv.exe

Downloaded and installed CuteFTP, and enabled Telnet in Windows.
You don't need that, you'll be using the Hikvision tftp updater tool.

"You will also need your original mtd5 & mtd6 files." - where do I get these?
Not relevant when using the Hikvision tftp updater tool.

"Set your PC IP to 192.0.0.128" - is this the same as opening a Chrome Window and using the IP address?
No - it's the PC IP address that needs changed to 192.0.0.128
"
Setting the IP address on your PC or mobile computer
  1. Click Start >Settings >Control Panel.
  2. On the control panel, double-click Network Connections.
  3. Right-click Local Area Connection.
  4. Click Properties. ...
  5. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
  6. Select Use the Following IP Address."
You will also need the relevant firmware file for the camera.
Because it's a HiLook device there is some uncertainty as the firmware is not widely published, unlike the Hikvision firmware.
As a bit of a guess (because there is a (B) suffix), try this in the first instance :

Unzip the digicap.dav file and put it in the same folder as the tftp updater program.

And ideally, as the tftp updater works best this way, power the camera with a 12v power supply and connect the camera to a router / switch port as opposed to directly to the PC.
If you don't have a 12v power supply - you could try using the NVR PoE ports (with the NVR powered on), but that tends to be less successful in running the update process.

The process is something like:
Change the PC IP address to 192.0.0.128
Start the tfp updater program.
The first time, there should be a Windows firewall popup. Click OK to that.
Power on the camera and watch the tftp updater status window.

If it works - the camera will probe for the updater, connect, download the firmware, validate it and apply it and finish with an 'Update successful' message.
For that result, shut down the tftp updater, and use SADP to see the status, which should be 'Inactive'.
Activate the camera by creating a new password.

If it does not connect - powering the camera with 12v and connecting it to your switch / router should help.
If it connects and downloads but rejects the firmware - then a search for valid firmware is required.

Jayson H

n3wb
Reaction score
And ideally, as the tftp updater works best this way, power the camera with a 12v power supply and connect the camera to a router / switch port as opposed to directly to the PC.
If you don't have a 12v power supply - you could try using the NVR PoE ports (with the NVR powered on), but that tends to be less successful in running the update process.
Cheers, that sounds a lot simpler!

I will go hunting for a 12V power supply and give it a go.... I think I have one somewhere that will fit, if not, I can go to Jaycar and get one.....

Jayson H

n3wb
Reaction score
running into some issues... I think I have changed the IP address. The instruction are a little different, I am using Windows 10 Pro.

1669897366980.png
But then when I run the tftp file, this appears:

1669897480192.png

The camera has two red lights at the top when I power it up, but they go out after about 20 seconds.

How fussy is the power supply? I am using an old laptop charger that fits the plug.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
How fussy is the power supply? I am using an old laptop charger that fits the plug.
It must be 12v give or take maybe 10%

Many laptop chargers are 19v - hopefully the one you are using isn't!

The tftp updater window looks normal, for when a camera hasn't yet attempted a connection.
Presumably both the camera and the PC are both connected to switch or router ports? ie no WiFi.
Also - try temporarily disabling the Windows firewall, or any network-inspecting AV that may be installed.

Jayson H

n3wb
Reaction score
It must be 12v give or take maybe 10%

Many laptop chargers are 19v - hopefully the one you are using isn't!
Nope, its 12.6V at 0.5 Amps....
The tftp updater window looks normal, for when a camera hasn't yet attempted a connection.
Presumably both the camera and the PC are both connected to switch or router ports? ie no WiFi.
Also - try temporarily disabling the Windows firewall, or any network-inspecting AV that may be installed.
Is it normal to have no internet connection when I change the IP address?

1669936490068.png

I have turned all firewalls off:
1669936532280.png

And also tried a different camera.

PC is plugged into LAN 1, camera is in LAN 2 on the router/modem.

Still, the camera isnt being picked up on tftp.