Help with fps yoyoing

stopsign

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me what is causing the fps to yoyo on both my cameras, They will not stop bottoming out for a few seconds then climb back up to around 9.5 fps.

I am using 2 AP009 cameras, gigabite network adaptor, windows 7 os.

I have them both running on wifi, and I cannot connect anything else on wifi while the cameras are working.

stopsign

Last edited by a moderator:

mkkoskin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Bad wifi signal/connection might cause this, try lowering camera bitrate and see if that helps. Lowering bitrate will lower the quality, but also the bandwidth required, so if it makes the fps stay at a steady 9.5 (or to what it is set) it's probably signal/connection problems caused by the wifi.

If lowering bitrate doesn't help, try dropping other cam off the wifi and see if the other one is now steady 9.5fps without yoyoing.

mkkoskin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It seems that the bitrate goes down with fps, but thats logical. Could you disconnect one of the cameras completely to check if one camera can stay at 10fps then?
If for some reason your wifi can't handle more than 1MB/s for longer time, this could explain the yoyoing.

stopsign

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi mkkoskin, I diabled one of my cameras but no the yoyo did not stop, I have checked my wifi on my router and it says data rate of 130mbps whatever that means, I have deleted both cameras and re-installed them but that has altered nothing.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi mkkoskin, I diabled one of my cameras but no the yoyo did not stop, I have checked my wifi on my router and it says data rate of 130mbps whatever that means, I have deleted both cameras and re-installed them but that has altered nothing.
Its the wifi..wifi is problematic particularly with these low end cameras like sricam...the specs indicate that the camera uses mjpeg compression which is a bandwidth hog compared to h.264...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a massive data rate for even WiFi - 802.11n, which in its original form can reach a theoretical 150Mbps, but in more advanced forms could double up on the single channel limit.
Presumably there is something other than the cameras consuming almost all the bandwidth.

What WiFi standard is your access point using?

stopsign

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi alastairstevenson,

I don't know to be honest with you, The only thing that happened yesterday was I bought a new mobile phone, and when I went on wifi my signal just started to diminish to next to nothing, I have nothing else running at all that needs wifi.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Simply put, your WiFi network is not up to the task. Maybe your router isn't very good. Maybe your house construction materials are not friendly to WiFi.

Or maybe there is too much interference. A simple (but probably ineffective) thing you could try is to change the radio channel in your router settings. If you do this, only choose from channels 1, 6, or 11 and do not let the router automatically choose a channel. The way modern WiFi works, the radio will use multiple channels to increase connection speed. It just so happens that there are 3 channels that do not overlap with each other -- 1, 6, and 11. It is irresponsible to choose for example channel 3 because that would be like double-parking. Blocking 2 of the 3 available spots for no reason.

You might try a wifi analyzer app on your phone to see if you can identify the channels being used in your area by yourself or your neighbors. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

An app like this won't find other noise sources though, like microwaves or analog 2.4ghz radio sources. It will only find WiFi networks.

stopsign

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, Thanks for your help on this matter, this problem only happened yesterday after I used my wifi on the new phone I bought.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Simply put, your WiFi network is not up to the task.
You will be right. WiFi and HD cameras don't mix well.

I was assuming, maybe incorrectly, that
I have checked my wifi on my router and it says data rate of 130mbps whatever that means
referred to the level of traffic that was flowing, as opposed to the connection speed of each device using the WiFi, in which case it looked like something else was consuming loads of traffic, as the cameras are consuming around 10Mbps each.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Routers and wireless devices often report some high link speed like 130 Mbps and then dip down to something more realistic like 12 Mbps (if you're unlucky!) once there is enough load that all the signal problems become apparent.

stopsign

n3wb
Reaction score
Good morning helpers, It would appear that my wifi signal from my router maybe faulty the blue light that signifies the wifi signal goes off and that is why my camera/s are yoyoing, so I am waiting now to have a word with BT.

Thanks guys.

stopsign

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all helpers,

I got in touch with BT and I had to do a factory reset which I did, While I had one camera on things were ok but as soon as I put my second camera on the fps rate started dropping again so I decided to hard wire one and now It is ok, touch wood, I will hard wire the other camera when I get back off holiday, Thank you all for your help, my problems were touched on by all of you.

Many thanks.