Help setting up a small system

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just a distinction - for analog cams it is a DVR and it is an NVR for ip cameras - so make sure that $50 unit is indeed an NVR.

P2P is simply a method to make a camera "plug and play" for the consumer where they can simply scan a code and it pulls up on an app, but it needs an internet connection initially (P2P should be avoided BTW for security concerns), but many cameras have that and you can still use it without an internet connection. Most the cameras people use on this site have P2P capability and we have turned that off as our cams are not on the internet. In all honesty, with very little computer knowledge, most can set these up without P2P. Or you configure the system initially connected to the internet, let P2P connect it, and then disconnect and hang up the cameras and place the NVR where you want to (but try to avoid that if possible).

Look for an IP cam that has ONVIF capability and in all likelihood it means it can work offline like you intend. Anything else is proprietary and will need an internet connection like Ring, Nest, Arlo, etc.
I found this very cheap Zosi 4 camera CCTV+ DVR system (without hard drive) for $105 with good reviews on Amazon (I know many reviews on Amazon are fake).

But it's not wireless and I need wireless access to my phone to view a live video stream and recorded video. So the question is, can I connect the NVR to a wireless router and get the live local feed and access to recorded video on my phone over LAN wifi?.

Also, it's not PoE, so I'm assuming I need an outlet to plug them into, or is there a PoE adapter I can use for it?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That is a CVI, composite video, system. The cables they supply are dual cables, coax and power, and they supply a four way power splitter. According to the listing the cables are 60 feet long.

The DVR can be pugged into a router or switch and connected to via your LAN and, probably, from outside as well depending on how you configure your router for the DVR. It is best practice not to enable P2P, or other service like that, and not to forward any ports for security reasons. The hazard is the DVR and cameras getting hacked and used as drones for various types of attacks on other web sites. Your ISP may frown on that if it happens. Blocking the DVR from having web access is a basic security procedure.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I found this very cheap Zosi 4 camera CCTV+ DVR system (without hard drive) for $105 with good reviews on Amazon (I know many reviews on Amazon are fake).
I need wireless access to my phone to view a live video stream and recorded video. ..
Hi @Safari

In general, do not expect that the cheapest most affordable vendor to spend much money on developers working on the mobile apps.

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is best practice not to enable P2P, or other service like that, and not to forward any ports for security reasons. The hazard is the DVR and cameras getting hacked and used as drones for various types of attacks on other web sites. Your ISP may frown on that if it happens. Blocking the DVR from having web access is a basic security procedure.
Yes, I dont want remote access. I want local access offline only. The cameras are going up in a remote warehouse. But I dont want a monitor, I want 24/7 recording and local access to a live feed while I'm at work, at the cheapest price possible.

I originally looked for a camera with a sd card for recording so I could bypass the NVR/DVR, and built in wifi hotspot so I could bypass the routet, and directly connect to the camera with my phone via a offline hotspot or rtsp. But those cameras are difficult to find or too expensive for me. This Zosi system can be completed with a $50 hard drive and a $25 router. I think anyway.

I'm still very new at this stuff

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Keep in mind that if you go the SD card route, you will have to go with reduced video quality if you plan to record 24/7 unless you only care about a day of footage.

I have a 2MP camera set with a bitrate of 8192 that I record 24/7 to a hard drive and it consumes around 3.9GB per hour - so at that setting you are going to not even get a day and half of recording on a 128GB card. A 4MP camera could even go thru it faster.

Though this wiki if for hard drive space considerations, it would still be valid for an SD card - so make sure you are comfortable with not a long recording time: Calculating Required Hard Drive Size

I would also only buy one camera first and try it out - some of these will not let you record and watch at the same time of an active file - maybe not a deal killer for you, but you should be aware that you may have to not record while reviewing.
Yes, I have found a Zosi 4 camera + DVR (without hard drive) for $100 on Amazon with good reviews. I will need a $50 hard drive and a $25 wireless router to wirelessly access the system. And these cameras are not PoE, so I'll need very long AC extension cords or a PoE adapter.

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Those cameras are powered by the DVR,. That's what the four way splitter is for. Alternately they could be powered "locally" using a 12 volt wall wart, plug in power supply, rated at least at 1 amp.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Now I'm leaning towards getting a $50 DVR, a $25 router and two $50 ip cameras. Or $150 Swann 2 cam system. That should do it.

I tried to find a system for $100 by using p2p ip direct cameras with sd cards bypassing the router and NVR, but finding a camera with those features is difficult. Most cameras on Amazon require internet access to function
$79.99 Camera's $29.99

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those cameras are powered by the DVR,. That's what the four way splitter is for. Alternately they could be powered "locally" using a 12 volt wall wart, plug in power supply, rated at least at 1 amp.
Good to know I dont need long extension cords. Zosi had the PoE version for twice the money. Huge cost difference

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good to know I dont need long extension cords. Zosi had the PoE version for twice the money. Huge cost difference
Hi @Safari

Zosi, not knowing much about that company and without good references I would avoid it.

The Amcrest brand, The Dahua Brands, are better options... if you can afford a bit more.

Otherwise, perhaps just get a Wzye camera to see if you can use that to help out.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Otherwise, perhaps just get a Wzye camera to see if you can use that to help out.
Or something like it makes some sense in this case.

Save the rest of the money for something better than an oddball CVI system.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - took a closer look at Z

From one of the Amazon ads for a "PoE" kit:

On the main title it looks like it is a good PoE kit...

ZOSI PoE Home Security Camera System,H.265+ 8Channel 5MP CCTV NVR Recorder with 1TB Hard Drive and (4) 2MP 1080P Indoor Outdoor Weatherproof PoE IP Cameras with 120ft Night Vision for 24/7 Recording
Visit the ZOSI Store
4.0 out of 5 stars 168 ratings | 48 answered questions
Amazon's Choice
for "zosi nvr"
Price: $209.99
With Deal: $169.99 & FREE Shipping. Details & FREE Returns
You Save: $40.00 (19%)

Sold by ZosiDirect and Fulfilled by Amazon.
Style: (2MP)-4Camera+1TB

However .. in the description it states:

【Plug & Play Simplify PoE installation】

This is a key term which means IS NOT PoE, that is it does not meet meaning PoE standards.

I would high recommend avoiding any company selling in a deceptive and fraudulent manner.

imho ZOSI and Amazon is clearly fraudulent in their descriptive title and selling this kit.

1610413999810.png

ref:

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Keep in mind that if you go the SD card route, you will have to go with reduced video quality if you plan to record 24/7 unless you only care about a day of footage.

I have a 2MP camera set with a bitrate of 8192 that I record 24/7 to a hard drive and it consumes around 3.9GB per hour - so at that setting you are going to not even get a day and half of recording on a 128GB card. A 4MP camera could even go thru it faster.

Though this wiki if for hard drive space considerations, it would still be valid for an SD card - so make sure you are comfortable with not a long recording time: Calculating Required Hard Drive Size

I would also only buy one camera first and try it out - some of these will not let you record and watch at the same time of an active file - maybe not a deal killer for you, but you should be aware that you may have to not record while reviewing.
Yes. I think I'll have to go with the NVR or DVR if I'm going to go with the TVI analog cameras, which looks likely at this point. But I still need to find a way to locally access the live video stream on my phone, I'm hiding DVR, router and the wiring behind the ceiling tiles. I have no place to put a monitor. So viewing live video and recorded video from my phone is a must. But I still dont know if that's possible with a CCTV/DVD system

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FYI - took a closer look at Z

From one of the Amazon ads for a "PoE" kit:

On the main title it looks like it is a good PoE kit...

ZOSI PoE Home Security Camera System,H.265+ 8Channel 5MP CCTV NVR Recorder with 1TB Hard Drive and (4) 2MP 1080P Indoor Outdoor Weatherproof PoE IP Cameras with 120ft Night Vision for 24/7 Recording
Visit the ZOSI Store
4.0 out of 5 stars 168 ratings | 48 answered questions
Amazon's Choice
for "zosi nvr"
Price: $209.99
With Deal: $169.99 & FREE Shipping. Details & FREE Returns
You Save: $40.00 (19%)

Sold by ZosiDirect and Fulfilled by Amazon.
Style: (2MP)-4Camera+1TB

However .. in the description it states:

【Plug & Play Simplify PoE installation】

This is a key term which means IS NOT PoE, that is it does not meet meaning PoE standards.

I would high recommend avoiding any company selling in a deceptive and fraudulent manner.

imho ZOSI and Amazon is clearly fraudulent in their descriptive title and selling this kit.

View attachment 79433

ref:
I'm not sold on zosi yet. I still looking around. I'm considering buying a cheap NVR/DVR and building my own cameras with raspberry pi. But that needs more study

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @Safari

Zosi, not knowing much about that company and without good references I would avoid it.

The Amcrest brand, The Dahua Brands, are better options... if you can afford a bit more.

I looked into wyze cameras, they would be perfect because they are small and discrete, but it does not appear they allow local only offline usage of their cameras. Unless I misread it

I might try Amcrest, they appear to allow local live feeds and sd cards