Help please

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have several analog cameras mixed with my newer stuff. It will still give you an over view of what is happening.

I would probably keep that system working, and start replacing it with newer digital IP cameras. If you are an IT or PC
person, you can run Blue Iris to record, or you can get a NVR and record on it. Most NVR will send messages to your cell
upon motion and you can watch on your phone or your PC. Buy a NVR that will accept several cameras, as they tend to
multiply like rabbits once you get using them.

As you get newer cameras to replace the old ones, then move the old ones where you just need an overview,
or just remove the old and replace with new. The difference is like a black and white TV VS a HD TV.

Reaction score
Looney2ns thank you! being so new to all of this and this particular model being so difficult to figure out, I am quite proud that I did resolve my own issue.
old-timer, I to believe that is the route I will take. Keep this system up and running and pray I have no more issues until I am able to get everything I need for a more secure and hopefully user friendly version. I purchased this system in a hurry after my PPO against my ex expired and I just wanted something up quick just in case. But saving up now for a better system.
I appreciate every single persons help on this. Thank you all so much for not only being helpful but being respectful as well.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought this one a year ago for 2 camera's on a remote garage. Cheap enough to not cry over if somebody gets into stall 4 and rips it off. Ive tried a few different older camera's on it to see if they worked and they did. But some brands of DVR's can be very finicky about what they will run. The interface is simple. the motion detection worked out of the box.
Not advocating that you buy it, but if the other one becomes unstable mine has been rock solid for 20 months. Bottom line is that it makes you feel safer when its working right.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I bought this one a year ago for 2 camera's on a remote garage. Cheap enough to not cry over if somebody gets into stall 4 and rips it off. Ive tried a few different older camera's on it to see if they worked and they did. But some brands of DVR's can be very finicky about what they will run. The interface is simple. the motion detection worked out of the box.
Not advocating that you buy it, but if the other one becomes unstable mine has been rock solid for 20 months. Bottom line is that it makes you feel safer when its working right.
You are absolutely right. The few days I was without motions showing up on this system I have, had my anxiety through the roof. My ex lives only a few short blocks away from me so it’s pretty scary when I don’t have this working the way I need. I know the cameras don’t really protect you, but they definitely make me feel as if I’ve got a much better chance at protecting myself and my son in court if he ever tries to sneak around here again.
thank you for your advice and a potential lead.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
any of those cameras or the DVR itself allow inputs? If camera motion detection is wanting... could add in a Bosch Gen2 Tritech motion detector. Dang things are nearly fool proof.
I just looked at that Amazon link. Nope, no inputs on cams or DVR. Pity.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Paul Hacker

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, I own both kinds of setups. I have 19 IP cams (and 2 USB cams for when I have my 3D Printer working) all on Blue Iris. I also have 8 analog cams on 2 DVRs similar to what you have. Honestly, to me, analog is ancient technology. I don't care though because all of my analog cams are simply for live viewing all of the critters out my way.

So, my advice (and it's worth the full cost that you've paid to get it [zero]) is... since you've found the problem and have corrected it, it's currently working as good as it's going to (and that has been good enough for you). If that's the case and money is an issue, just stick with it knowing it's limitations...
I agree and if the ex is a real pita, buy a gun and learn how to use it.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
You may want to consider saving up for a good security alarm first, before better cameras. Your First line of defense is by securing your doors and windows ( perimeter) for when your at home. comes with a indoor motion sensor too. also nice for when your away.

The ring alarm is a good wireless alarm that is easy to install.

Reaction score
You may want to consider saving up for a good security alarm first, before better cameras. Your First line of defense is by securing your doors and windows ( perimeter) for when your at home. comes with a indoor motion sensor too. also nice for when your away.

The ring alarm is a good wireless alarm that is easy to install.

This is my next step, but have not looked much into alarm systems just yet as I wanted to get cameras up for if he sneaks around I’d have proof. At this point I don’t see him actually breaking in, but crazier stuff has happened.
whoeber said get a gun, I am in the process of this as well. I’ve never had much experience with guns and they make me nervous to have in the house with a 5 year old (and sometimes a teenager) who are both pretty obsessed with them.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is my next step, but have not looked much into alarm systems just yet as I wanted to get cameras up for if he sneaks around I’d have proof. At this point I don’t see him actually breaking in, but crazier stuff has happened.
whoeber said get a gun, I am in the process of this as well. I’ve never had much experience with guns and they make me nervous to have in the house with a 5 year old (and sometimes a teenager) who are both pretty obsessed with them.
Be sure you find someone to properly teach you how to use and handle a gun. Take a class or 4 on how. You also want to know your local laws backwards and forwards.
"Buying a guitar does not make you a musician" if you get my drift.
Also, you need to find someone that will help YOU decide what fits you in a guns as far as how it fits your hand, how much recoil is it going to have, etc. It's best if you can go somewhere, with supervision and try several different guns to see what fits you. Only YOU can decide which gun that would be, not some sales dude behind a gun store counter. If you know someone you trust that owns a 22lr hand gun, that's a great way to get accustomed to guns is by shooting a 22. You need a mentor.
Buying a gun, taking it home, throwing it in a drawer and calling it good, is what gets folks in trouble with guns. It takes practice to become proficient with any tool, and a gun is a tool.
It is also a very big responsibility. On the upside, most females are naturally good shots, better so than men. The testosterone doesn't get in the way. :)

The boys need to be taught proper handling of guns, and learn to respect them.

Reaction score
Be sure you find someone to properly teach you how to use and handle a gun. Take a class or 4 on how. You also want to know your local laws backwards and forwards.
"Buying a guitar does not make you a musician" if you get my drift.
Also, you need to find someone that will help YOU decide what fits you in a guns as far as how it fits your hand, how much recoil is it going to have, etc. It's best if you can go somewhere, with supervision and try several different guns to see what fits you. Only YOU can decide which gun that would be, not some sales dude behind a gun store counter. If you know someone you trust that owns a 22lr hand gun, that's a great way to get accustomed to guns is by shooting a 22. You need a mentor.
Buying a gun, taking it home, throwing it in a drawer and calling it good, is what gets folks in trouble with guns. It takes practice to become proficient with any tool, and a gun is a tool.
It is also a very big responsibility. On the upside, most females are naturally good shots, better so than men. The testosterone doesn't get in the way. :)

The boys need to be taught proper handling of guns, and learn to respect them.
You are exactly right. They make me very nervous and lack of experience with them is the main thing holding me back from just running out and getting one. I have spoke to a couple friends who are willing to help me get comfortable and find the right one. I am a very good shot with my compound bow though lol so if push comes to shove ‍:)
my teenage boy I’d be willing to take classes with but the older Boys are only here for 5 weeks in the summer and a week at a time their other breaks. The youngest is with me full time and we are learning proper ways to handle toy guns as far as not pointing at people or self etc etc.
thank you for all of your advice on this, it is very much appreciated.

Reaction score
can go totally overboard like I have been doing with my tire slashing person. Find a used alarm system (DSC or Honeywell, for example) on craigslist for $50-100. Buy a couple motion detectors. Get Home Assistant home automation (free) and install on a used junky laptop/computer. Have Home Assistant toggle outdoor or indoor lights along with beeping. Get a PTZ camera (the cameras that rotate) and add a couple plastic pipes to them so they look like gatling guns.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
can go totally overboard like I have been doing with my tire slashing person. Find a used alarm system (DSC or Honeywell, for example) on craigslist for $50-100. Buy a couple motion detectors. Get Home Assistant home automation (free) and install on a used junky laptop/computer. Have Home Assistant toggle outdoor or indoor lights along with beeping. Get a PTZ camera (the cameras that rotate) and add a couple plastic pipes to them so they look like gatling guns.
maybe you could launch those tranq darts from Mutual of Omaha's wild kingdom they used to shoot to get Salivia samples from
White Rhino's. :)

Last edited:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
You are exactly right. They make me very nervous and lack of experience with them is the main thing holding me back from just running out and getting one. I have spoke to a couple friends who are willing to help me get comfortable and find the right one. I am a very good shot with my compound bow though lol so if push comes to shove ‍:)
my teenage boy I’d be willing to take classes with but the older Boys are only here for 5 weeks in the summer and a week at a time their other breaks. The youngest is with me full time and we are learning proper ways to handle toy guns as far as not pointing at people or self etc etc.
thank you for all of your advice on this, it is very much appreciated.
If you are good with a bow, have one handy all the time. An arrow can make a huge impact on a person. Also, mark them so they can't
say they was not there.

Guns can be one of the best tools to equalize the difference between a small person and a huge person. The "can be" part
is if you know how to use it and when to use it. If the gun gets taken away from you, it can be used against you. If someone that
does not have the training gets hold of it, it could be bad. I am pro gun, but you have to understand the whole story.
I think all kids need to have firearms training. If they know how to handle and what guns will do, they are a lot less likely to
misuse them. Toy guns are what we used for our childern, then progressed from there. The NRA has a good program for kids.

I don't know the laws where you live, but some states will give you a concealed carry permit quickly if you have a VPO or other
good reason for it. If not, pepper spray can be a good backup. Get a good sized one that has the dye in it, so they are marked
for a while. Again, check your laws.