Help please

Reaction score
I’ve posted before and wasn’t met with very good feedback. I understand if most do not agree with my choice of camera system, but I do need one for protection from my ex and this is what I could afford at the time. So please, save your opinions on my system.
I’ve set up my system XVIM and all cameras are on and recording. The issue I seem to be having at the moment is that it is not showing me motion hits on the app or the internal playback. Can anyone assist me with tweaking these settings toget it where I can easily reviewany motions?
attached is a picture of my son waving to the camera and you can see it did not trigger the motion or mark a hit on the playback as a motion.

thanks in advance.

Attachments

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I did a quick search and I see that there is a spot under "Motion Detection" to change the sensitivity. It defaults to "2", but "4" is the most sensitive. So... change it to "4" and try the test with your son again.

Reaction score
I did a quick search and I see that there is a spot under "Motion Detection" to change the sensitivity. It defaults to "2", but "4" is the most sensitive. So... change it to "4" and try the test with your son again.
Thank you. I’ve ran through each and every level of sensitivity possible thus far. I’ve as well set it to regions to block out and then changed it back to all and still it will not show me motion hits.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well, unfortunately, this is the problem with cheaper systems (not judging, just stating a fact). So... just to be sure you have a chance to catch something that motion detection isn't catching... do you have it set to continuous recording?

Also, have you tried setting it up to ONLY look for motion on your porch? All that snow is probably overloading it's not-so-great motion detection...

You do have the Motion Detection status toggle "ON" , correct?

That's about all that I can come up with.

Last edited:

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Thats what my first though was. Is motion detection even enabled with the checked box?

Reaction score
Thats what my first though was. Is motion detection even enabled with the checked box?
Well, unfortunately, this is the problem with cheaper systems (not judging, just stating a fact). So... just to be sure you have a chance to catch something that motion detection isn't catching... do you have it set to continuous recording?

Also, have you tried setting it up to ONLY look for motion on your porch? All that snow is probably overloading it's not-so-great motion detection...

You do have the Motion Detection status toggle "ON" , correct?

That's about all that I can come up with.
motion detection is enabled. It was working fine up until a few days ago and all of a sudden stopped triggering on playback for motion hits.
think I will just factory reset and set it all back up again and see if that doesn’t fix it all. Will keep you posted. Thanks everyone

Reaction score
Is it possible for me to keep my cameras I have but hook them up to a new dvr system? One that is easier to setup and maintain?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it possible for me to keep my cameras I have but hook them up to a new dvr system? One that is easier to setup and maintain?
Maybe, but lots of variable here, so it depends....
  • What is the model # of the cameras?
  • Or a link to where you bought the system if online?
  • What kind of connectors are on the back of the DVR/NVR where the cams plug in:
    • round silver jacks that the camera connector plugs into with a 1/4 twist clockwise?
    • or a female jack that looks like a modular phone jack on steroids?

Reaction score
Maybe, but lots of variable here, so it depends....
  • What is the model # of the cameras?
  • Or a link to where you bought the system if online?
  • What kind of connectors are on the back of the DVR/NVR where the cams plug in:
    • round silver jacks that the camera connector plugs into with a 1/4 twist clockwise?
    • or a female jack that looks like a modular phone jack on steroids?

this is the system I purchased. Hope this answers all of your questions. If you have a lead on an acceptable replacement please let me know. I’m severely new to all of this but need the added security to protect myself and my son.
thank you

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I assume you're wanting to use the in-place cameras because of expediency and maybe cost.

FWIW, those are analog cameras (not IP or network cameras) and technically could be connected to any brand of DVR/NVR that accepts an analog input. It boils down to the device's hardware and firmware (built-in software) that tells the NVR how to work (an over-simplification) but it's like all coffee pots aren't the same...some brew better-tasting coffee.

All my cameras are monitored and recorded by Blue Iris (VMS software on a PC) so I'm not an expert on analog recorders but now that we know what you have, hopefully someone else can make a good recommendation.

I do know that there are even hybrid NVRs that accept a mix of analog cams (for now) and IP/netwok cameras (for the future) but again, I'll leave that to someone more versed in NVRs in general.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
for now I have finally figured out the problem and adjusted settings to resolve this issue. I’m not sure how or when it happened. My older children were up for Christmas break and I think maybe my oldest son fudged some of the settings to keep me from catching him sneaking out in the middle of the night OR it happened when I reset my internet modem from work. I’m not sure, but for now I have it fixed as seen in the picture attached. It’s now showing me red marks for motion hits which is what I want because anytime I have a motionI need proof of I screen record from my phone.
I am in the process of saving money to buy either a new dvr system or a new system all together but if possible to keep these cameras and hook them to a new dvr that would be ideal as I don’t really have anyone who could hook up new cameras outside again.
someone asked about how comfortable I am with windows of.. I do not have a computer I have a laptop chrome book and they’re about as useless as they come when it comes to anything (guess Ishould save up for a computer as well?) but I am comfortable with them to an extent. I have a desk job so am sitting in front of one all day long.

Attachments

Reaction score
Also, still open to any and all suggestions on either a simple (and blonde) friendly dvr system or camera system.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI -

1) Individual cameras:
right now the most affordable IP PoE camera I would buy is the Amcrest 5MP turret, with a coupon you can at times get it for less than $50 ( search for threads on that here ).

As it is easy to move the eyeball around, I'd get a minimum of 2 and have their views crossed over to watch each other.

You'd need a small PoE switch.. and a place to save the recorded video, I'd look for a used i5-6xxx / i7-6xxx business class PC for that..

2) kits:
Not been able to find very affordable kits that I like right now... and not certain how much you are willing to spend

The most affordable IP PoE kit that I have found with 1/1.8" sensors is a Lorex 16 channel NVR + 8x 8MP 1/1.8" cameras for about .. $900 ...

Due to the pandemic and supply chain issues not seeing a lot of deals right now..

If you're tight on budget and willing to DIY learn I'd go option #1

Last edited:

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ok, I own both kinds of setups. I have 19 IP cams (and 2 USB cams for when I have my 3D Printer working) all on Blue Iris. I also have 8 analog cams on 2 DVRs similar to what you have. Honestly, to me, analog is ancient technology. I don't care though because all of my analog cams are simply for live viewing all of the critters out my way.

So, my advice (and it's worth the full cost that you've paid to get it [zero]) is... since you've found the problem and have corrected it, it's currently working as good as it's going to (and that has been good enough for you). If that's the case and money is an issue, just stick with it knowing it's limitations...

Last edited: