Help newb here with a messed install looking for help.

Killhippie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Glad to hear your installer is taking care of you. That was the goal of what was taken as knocking is to make sure you were not taking advantage of.
Thanks I appreciate the kind thoughts i’m quite tough I don’t let people walk over me but it’s nice to be in a forum where people think about you, that’s a rarity so to all who have given advice and has been kind which you all have and to Andy for being really helpful I thank you all and I’m really glad I’ve joined this forum hopefully. I will learn more by staying here, I’m training as a Cisco network engineer so I have a thirst for knowledge and I’m sure I can learn a lot from all of you, once again thanks for the help

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate the kind thoughts i’m quite tough I don’t let people walk over me but it’s nice to be in a forum where people think about you, that’s a rarity so to all who have given advice and has been kind which you all have and to Andy for being really helpful I thank you all and I’m really glad I’ve joined this forum hopefully. I will learn more by staying here, I’m training as a Cisco network engineer so I have a thirst for knowledge and I’m sure I can learn a lot from all of you, once again thanks for the help
Hi @Killhippie

Speaking of Cisco .. their enterprise grade hardware has good longevity .. which imho I would not expect for many of the NVRs sold.

imho Definitely put a UPS on the NVR to help protect the NVR from power issues ..

Killhippie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @Killhippie

Speaking of Cisco .. their enterprise grade hardware has good longevity .. which imho I would not expect for many of the NVRs sold.

imho Definitely put a UPS on the NVR to help protect the NVR from power issues ..
I do already have one, I have a APC 1000VA sinewave UPS for my iMac, router, printer, modem etc. It really helps with its AVR and good backup runtime.

Last edited:

Killhippie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well new NVR is out for delivery today thats three days turn around from Andy, I have ordered a Seagate Skyhawk 2TB drive for it as thats all I really need with two cameras and if needed it has another bay any way (NVR5216-16-I/L) and will set bit rate to 4096 at 25fps using H.265 as advised by Dahua. Thats to everyone who helped so far. Does that bit rate sound about right quality with quality set to 4 on the unit? The installer is paying for the NVR and coming back to reset cameras and install it Saturday which is great news too.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most here would go 8192 bitrate at a min for 4K.

Most here prefer H264 - better overall image.

Most here go with 15FPS - movies are shot at 24FPS so you don't need more than a big screen movie.

Killhippie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most here would go 8192 bitrate at a min for 4K.

Most here prefer H264 - better overall image.

Most here go with 15FPS - movies are shot at 24FPS so you don't need more than a big screen movie.
If I wanted to use H265 would 4096 be okay though?