Help needed identifying this Camera

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a IP camera here which is going to be used as the primary source of vision for a underground robot and I need help identifying the http video url for video access via a custom python/opencv program I've written.

I'm kind of going out on a limb here but I'd really appreciate any help anyone is able to provide me.

14012901_10210124853300386_283059157_o.jpg 14075221_10210124853340387_1781240627_o.jpg 14060149_10210124853380388_913815270_o.jpg 14037648_10210124853500391_1639133145_o.jpg

I've included pictures of the camera and there is no labeling anywhere else apart from what is shown in image 3.

Thanks in advance guys

Michael

Reaction score
I don't have a picture but the cables have the exact same labels as in picture 3.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If the camera is ONVIF compatible - and most are these days, you will get lots of useful information by querying it with the very good Windows open-source tool 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net
Give ODM some valid login credentials, and it should find and query the camera automatically when it's IP address is on the same segment as the PC.

Reaction score
Thanks for replying Alastair, that's a good idea and I have managed to get the rtsp url for video streaming through this method.

I'm not sure how much python coding you guys/girls do or know, but I now have an issue where I'm unable to control the camera through the python-onvif library. Apperantly the camera isn't responding to my requests even though it's claims to be onvif compliant.

Thanks for your help ladies and gents.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
ODM does have PTZ support that would allow you to test if the camera's ONVIF implementation provides that.

mkkoskin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Make sure you're using the correct port. Most cameras default their ONVIF to port 80, but I have come up with some unnamed cameras with port 8899 by default.
Also make sure you have your pc and camera times synced, some cameras require you to have it synced up for the login to work.

I believe you can use the official ONVIF Device tool to see check the conformance, but to download this tool you will need to be a member to access the forums for the link. Google might be helpful on providing download link for it, at least for an older version.

Do you have any model number or a screenshot of the camera web settings to provide? Those would probably help in identifying the camera.

Reaction score
I'm away from work at the moment, though I can provide screen shots when I get back in 12 hours. I was using port 80 but I changed it to 8899 when I realised this could be a possible reason for connection issues. The time syncing is a strong possibility and I will investigate this when I get to work.. again in 12 hours.
The only information I was supplied with via the packaging/device labeling is what is found in the pictures first posted.

Since first posting the distributor has replied to my request for information, though not very helpful. The camera is manufactured by Overstep Technology, but I can't seem to find any documentation regarding the actual camera. Additionally, the distributor has sent me links to a company known for IP camera PCB boards and firmware Xiongmai (XM). I'm not sure how helpful this is...

Here is the rtsp address I'm going to be using to grab the video stream, of course there is a difference in port number between http and rtsp;
rtsp://192.168.1.10:554/user=admin_password=tlJwpbo6_channel=1_stream=0.sdp?real_stream

Again I would like to iterate that my main issue is now the python-onvif connections problems, not the identification of the camera.

Python is producing errors which would indicate the camera either does not understand the onvif request I'm sending it(unlikely), or the camera is blocking my requests (hence my investigation into time syncing) are incorrect effectively blocking me from controlling the PTZ.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Python is producing errors which would indicate the camera either does not understand the onvif request I'm sending it(unlikely),
Are these PTZ requests, or more basic request such as capability and RTSP setup?

Reaction score
Hi again

Below is the code I use to create the PTZ service and media service/profiles, I've indicted the line where the program breaks

dahuaCamera = ONVIFCamera('192.168.1.10', '8899', 'admin', 'admin', 'C:\\Python27\\wsdl')
self.dahuaPTZService = dahuaCamera.create_ptz_service()
dahuaMediaService = dahuaCamera.create_media_service()

dahuaMediaProfile = dahuaMediaService.GetProfiles() <------ the program breaks at this line

self.request = self.dahuaPTZService.create_type('GetConfigurationOptions')
self.request.ConfigurationToken = dahuaMediaProfile.PTZConfiguration._token
ptz_configuration_options = self.dahuaPTZService.GetConfigurationOptions(self.request)

self.request = self.dahuaPTZService.create_type('ContinuousMove')
self.request.ProfileToken = dahuaMediaProfile._token

The error is ONVIDError number 10061 which states python was refused the connection.
So the request is simple me attempting to get the profiles used in the camera so I can manipulate the PTZ controls.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I saw site where they sell these cams, where I got my avatar, but can't remember now where it was.

Reaction score
The site this was purchased from was AliExpress but out of all these types of cameras sold, this particular one doesn't have any identification on it.

Reaction score
As requested, here are screenshots of the web interface, also I've synced the camera to the computer clock and the camera is still refusing connection via the python-onvif library.

Live-video Stream.png Log-in screen.png Settings.png

Is there a particular configuration I need to adjust in the web GUI to enable onvif control via python?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Is the first argument to ONVIFCamera() supposed to be an ip address, or a URL? Perhaps there needs to be a path? Maybe you should try sniffing packets sent by "Onvif Device Manager" to see what the request URLs are and what port number is being used.

Reaction score
the ONVIFCamera() syntax is as follows;

ONVIFCamera('host', 'onvif port', 'username', 'password', 'path to wsdl directory')

This essentially logs me into the camera's onvif settings and should allow me to access the various profiles or ask it for it's capabilities. I'm starting to think the code I have supplies works for my dahua Dome:2MP camera but not this particular camera.

Reaction score
That's the XiongMai XMeye firmware, so very familiar from all the HiSilicon HI3518 720p mini-cameras. FYI, the OnvifDeviceManager (ODM) program worked well enough with HI3518 720p mini-cameras. I'd wager it will talk with your camera as well. You can use Wireshark software to eavesdrop on the communications, and probably snarf enough OnVif conversation data to compare with your Python code.

Last edited by a moderator:

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Those are vehicle-mounted PTZ units...Just go to Aliexpress and type in "vehicle ptz" and a number of them will come up...Problem is, this is just a generic PTZ housing. Lots of sellers/companies use this housing; they just have different internal boards and camera modules. Even Dahua offers some with this housing.

I had a generic analog cam using this housing in which the seller included an IP board inside it to convert the analog output to digital IP. Unfortunately, it was loaded with problems and not worth a fraction of the $600 I paid for it, so I had to send it back. I like the complete 360 degree vertical and horizontal range and would like to get another one if a reputable company with lots of positive feedbacks would produce them for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, everything I find using this housing is either limited to analog modules, way overpriced and/or has little to no feedback.

Reaction score
Hi guys/girls

Sorry I've been away for a while. I do believe that this camera uses an analog camera and therefore it must use a IP board to convert to the IP cam stream and also receive and send ptz controls.

If this is the case surely I should be able to use the python-onvif commands to control the camera?

Wxman, I'm interested in the particular problems you encountered, if the issues are the same as mine this would help us find a better solution as i would hate to see this camera go because of its lack or support.

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hi Again

Is there anyway to get the identification of the PTZ controller board without opening up the camera?
I ask this as it should help me setup the Python-ONVIF interface

VorlonFrog, you were helpful with your identification of the IP board, Thanks.