Help needed! HFW5241E-Z12E Zoom & Focus screen has no video display

esoteric

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been lurking/learning for the past year. I've had a HFW5241E-Z12E for license plate capture (no LPR software) and two turrets monitoring my front and back yard. After countless settings-configurations on the Z12E only producing "meh" nighttime images I saw this post and decided to grab a HFW5242H-Z6E-MF (the last one Andy had in stock, sorry folks). I installed it today and I'm blown away by the difference a 1/1.8” sensor makes. Color mode under a street light looks like broad daylight. I'm looking forward to dialing in the settings.

However, the Z12E web interface is suddenly acting screwy ever since I temporarily disconnected it today when I repositioned it. I'd upgraded the firmware to V2.800.0000000.20.R, Build Date: 2020-09-03 three weeks ago with no issues, and I re-installed this same firmware an hour ago with no change to the problem after reinstallation and reboot. So here's the problem. Settings/Zoom And Focus on the Z12E web interface won't display a live video image. This is on the Edge browser I've been using consistently for the past year.

1618199031305.png

For comparison, this is Settings/Conditions for the same Z12E. The live preview is displayed as expected. Mode is set to Auto just so we're not looking at a pitch black image. And yes the same Auto setting is applied and saved when switching to Zoom and Focus. This is the same image that should be displaying on the Zoom and Focus tab.
1618198695446.png

For further comparison, here are the Zoom and Focus web interfaces for my other three cameras , each showing the live view as expected.

Edge - RDP BI server. T2831.
1618201572937.png

Chrome - RDP BI Server. T2231
1618203077977.png

Chrome - Laptop. HFW5242H-Z6E-MF
1618201868009.png

To confirm the problem, back to the Z12E: Chrome - Laptop
1618202041591.png

Firmware on Z12E:
1618202090770.png

Any ideas about how to fix this?

Attachments

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
That is a bug, use this firmware for the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E can solve the problem.
1618210621665.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes these things get wonky like that. Others have reported that screen not working.

You could factory reset the camera and see if that gets it going.

You could use IE as that seems to be the browser these things were developed around.

Not use the zoom/focus from that screen under conditions, but rather from the main LIVE screen. One of the icons on the lower left will pull up a zoom and focus window in the main live view. I have always done mine this way as I can see the image larger than from within the conditions screen.

esoteric

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply @EMPIRETECANDY. I'm pretty sure that's the same post from which I grabbed the new firmware update 3 weeks ago. Worked fine until yesterday. I'll verify if it's the same version/build /release when I get home.
That is a bug, use this firmware for the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E can solve the problem.

@wittaj, I can't believe I didn't know about the zoom/focus pop-up on the live view window. That's 100 times better than the laggy "almost live" view in the zoom/focus settings tab. Thank you!
Sometimes these things get wonky like that. Others have reported that screen not working.

You could factory reset the camera and see if that gets it going.

You could use IE as that seems to be the browser these things were developed around.

Not use the zoom/focus from that screen under conditions, but rather from the main LIVE screen. One of the icons on the lower left will pull up a zoom and focus window in the main live view. I have always done mine this way as I can see the image larger than from within the conditions screen.

esoteric

n3wb
Reaction score
Update/resolved:
@EMPIRETECANDY, I updated the firmware last night using the link you posted. It didn't fix the problem on the browsers I'd been using and I ended up trying IE as recommended by @wittaj with the browser plug-in (which I'd never used before) . All the features worked. Then as if this morning the Zoom & Focus screen has a video display again when using Chrome. @samplenhold FTR this is the version Andy linked above. Thank you all for your input. Screenshot_20210413-164600_Microsoft Remote Desktop.jpg