Hello from Florida

dsam

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, new member here.
I am moving into a new house (new for me, old construction) and have been planning to install a camera system on the outside of the house... this has led me to this forum.

My goal is to eventually set up Blue Iris on my home-server and use it with the cameras that I will buy.
Due to the popularity of some Youtube reviews, I was tempted to build the system with Reolink cameras BUT reached this forum before pulling the trigger.
So currently I am trying to figure out what cameras would fit my needs best, before I buy anything.

Cheers!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome!

See this thread! It is complete with examples on why not to chase MP, getting the correct focal length for the area you are trying to cover, and camera recommendations based on distance to IDENTIFY.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Be glad you didn't make the Reolink mistake and they're not the only one with problems. Most of the consumer level cameras all suffer from the same problems that Reolink has.

Compiled by mat200 -

A collection of various consumer grade failures -

Most of us here use Dahua or Hikvision cameras. They're prosumer grade cameras that can be adjusted to provide the best video possible under the worst conditions. Cameras normally need to work well at night and that's where Reolink, and the others, fail pretty badly.

To go with the focal length, mounting height is very important. It's best to keep cameras below eight feet above ground to make sure you get a useable identification shot. Mounted higher results in top of head shots which are useless.

A good source for cameras is Andy, a forum member, who is a Dahua/Hikvision OEM dealer. His cameras are International version which means their firmware can be upgraded safely when improvements come along. His relationship with Dahua in particular is very good and he works with members here and Dahua engineers to improve the firmware, eliminate bugs. Often, we get firmware updates that never make it to the Dahua site that improve camera performance significantly. His pricing is excellent and he supports what he sells. Keep in mind that both Dahua and Hikvision do not sell directly to the end user and will not provide support to you directly.

Andy
IPCT Thread

Andy's Store

King Security/EmpireTech Store

Email
Andy Wang kingsecurity2014@163.com

The three basic rules of video surveillance cameras-

Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

Quick guide -

The smaller the lux number the better the low light performance. 0.002 is better than 0.02
The smaller the "F" of the lens the better the low light performance. F1.4 is better than F1.8
The larger the sensor the better the low light performance. 1/1.8" is better (bigger) than 1/2.7"
The higher the megapixels for the same size sensor the worse the low light performance. A 4MP camera with a 1/1.8" sensor will perform better than a 8MP camera with that same 1/1.8" sensor.

Disclaimer - These sizes are the sizes advertised by manufacturers and may not actually reflect the real physical sensor size -
720P - 1/3" = .333"
2MP - 1/2.8" = .357" (think a .38 caliber bullet)
4MP - 1/1.8" = .555" (bigger than a .50 caliber bullet or ball)
8MP - 1/1.2" = .833" (bigger than a 20mm chain gun round)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.