Hello All!

Manimal

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been lurking for a while and have read through the wiki and cliff notes along with the other copious amounts of material on this site (and its still overwhelming)...

I am in the planning stages for an outdoor/indoor camera setup (mostly outdoor).

I have a QNAP NAS that I plan on running QVR Pro.

I would like to get some reccomendations on which POE (or POE+) switch you guys like, I was thinking a 24 port so I can use it for other things apart from cameras.

Also what would be a good outdoor camera to start with, I would like it to have both decent day and night picture if possible (I also like the bullet form factor over the turret).

Thank you in advance,
Manimal

Manimal

n3wb
Reaction score
I am still trying to figure out which switch I want to get, most of the cheaper switches i am finding are POE not POE+. Is POE+ really nessessary? How often are you finding the need for POE+ powers?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not necessarily the need for PoE+ but it does provide safe overhead in power capabilities as well as some future proofing as things change. The old rule of thumb that bigger is better sort of applies here.

Also the less expensive, lower power budget, switches can have problems coming back up from a power failure while under load, especially the load at night when IR lights are on in the cameras.

Manimal

n3wb
Reaction score
What are the thoughts on this Switch? Does it matter that it is not a gigabit switch?

IPCamPower Switch

I was going to plug this directly into the QNAP NAS and the QNAP to my home network.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A gig uplink is fine. Cameras won't need a gig for a long time to come. They simply don't use that much bandwidth. Even 100Mb/ps is a little bit of overkill for them to say the least.

IPCamPower uses a transformer power supply, at least mine seems to, which is way more robust than the switching supplies used in lower end switches.

Manimal

n3wb
Reaction score
Would this be a good starter set for cameras?

Ebay Camera Listing for 10 Dahua IPC-HFW2431RN-ZS-IRE6 for $400.

Should this be avoided or can I reflash them? Or should I be looking at the 5442 cameras?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Those cameras have a 1/3" sensor and are 4MP. If you need a decent low light, or no light, video they will not be good at all. Have a look in the Wiki, in the blue bar at the top of the page. The cameras mentioned in the Cliff Notes are a generation old at this point but are still far better choices, especially in low light situations. The current favorite, here, is the Dahua 5442 series. They are 4MP but have a much larger sensor, 1/1.8".

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

2231 Review
Review-OEM IPC-T2231RP-ZS 2mp Varifocal Turret Starlight Camera

3241T-ZAS Review

Less expensive models -

Manimal

n3wb
Reaction score
Those cameras have a 1/3" sensor and are 4MP. If you need a decent low light, or no light, video they will not be good at all. Have a look in the Wiki, in the blue bar at the top of the page. The cameras mentioned in the Cliff Notes are a generation old at this point but are still far better choices, especially in low light situations. The current favorite, here, is the Dahua 5442 series. They are 4MP but have a much larger sensor, 1/1.8".

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

2231 Review
Review-OEM IPC-T2231RP-ZS 2mp Varifocal Turret Starlight Camera

3241T-ZAS Review

Less expensive models -

I guess I am also going to have to go trough that list and see which cameras are compatible with QNAP QVR Pro.