Heavy delays, artificating on just one 4Mp POE camera

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have an i3 processor with 32G of Ram on a standalone computer. My goal is to get to 4 camera running; (2) Amcrest 4Mp bullet POE cam, (2) Alptop 3Mp POE cameras. I currently only have one installed (The Amcrest 4Mp). I am recording direct to disc, I have set the FPS all the way down to 10 FPS. My CPU usage while running just one camera never goes above 20%, but most of the time stays at 1%.

I constantly get heavy delays, freezes, as well as artifacting on recorded files. Is this due to my processor being an i3? I have read system requirements and I see it is popular for an i5. However since I am only running one camera, I'd figure I'd try this computer to learn the software before building a dedicated, higher power machine capable of running more cameras. However, I'd like to confirm it is my computer rather than another issue I would find myself chasing later.

I see in other threads, the I-Frame rate has to match the FPS, however, I dont see an I-frame rate setting.. Is this is the "interval frame"? on the video tab? If not, where is this "i-frame setting"?

I dont feel I am running low-power networking hardware-- Linksys smart router with a gig-a-bit switch and a 8 port POE switch. I can kill all of my other devices, do a speed test and get 150 down, set up the camera and it still freezes and has pixelated video files... So, I know my netowrk is capable of handling the traffic. Any ideas is much appreciated- this is kicking my ass and causing me to spend lots of time spinning my wheels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My guess a cable or connection issue bad crimp and are cables CCA copper clad ? I run 7 cameras off a older system no issues.

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am looking at the wire I have run. It is blue ethernet wire. I no longer have the box, but the wire reads:

"COMMSCOPE D DATATIPE 5EN5 4/24 CAT5E C<ETL>US CMR CMG MADE IN USA WEBTRAK TM AYD1022 TN224... footages, etc" I cant tell by the info on the wire if it is copper, however looking at it, the wire is copper.

I stapled the wires with a cable stapler and tested them afterwards, however I cannot safely say the staples are not pressing on the wires at the staples, but the application is no different than the rest of the cat 5 run in my house. Should I be concerned about this? If so, what staples are used successfully for wire running?

All of the connections were tested out as t568A wiring terminations.

Any info on this elusive "I-frame rate"?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am looking at the wire I have run. It is blue ethernet wire. I no longer have the box, but the wire reads:

"COMMSCOPE D DATATIPE 5EN5 4/24 CAT5E C<ETL>US CMR CMG MADE IN USA WEBTRAK TM AYD1022 TN224... footages, etc" I cant tell by the info on the wire if it is copper, however looking at it, the wire is copper.

I stapled the wires with a cable stapler and tested them afterwards, however I cannot safely say the staples are not pressing on the wires at the staples, but the application is no different than the rest of the cat 5 run in my house. Should I be concerned about this? If so, what staples are used successfully for wire running?

All of the connections were tested out as t568A wiring terminations.

Any info on this elusive "I-frame rate"?
match the inverval frame. what is the cpu usage percentage?

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In my first post I mentioned I am looking for where the Iframe rate setting is. CPU usage is close to zero.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In my first post I mentioned I am looking for where the Iframe rate setting is. CPU usage is close to zero.
yes and i said its the "interval frame" that you mentioned. IF your cpu usage is low then a new pc wont help. There have been issues with amcrest and blue iris. Search the forum.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Copper Clad means it looks like copper, but you cut it it has a silver core of aluminum.

put everything on a bench test and see if it works better to rule out cabling issues... it sounds like your getting packetloss, and a tcp based speed test might not really show the problem because your video stream is likely UDP, and unlike the other UDP does not re-transmit on packet loss, so when you drop an iframe.. the video tears

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need to log directly into the camera(s) like your Amcrest by using its IP address. Then go into the Camera -> Video section and match the Frame rate (fps) to Frame interval (I-frame). See attached pictures.

Attachments

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. This is proving to be pretty frustrating.:) I have two Alptops and two Amcrests. I have done bench tests on all them with store-bought cat 5 cables 18" long for every run. They have all been set to match the interval framerate and the FPS, all been set to record direct to disc. I have nearly zero CPU usage and 32G of ram. Every single camera does it. Every single time.

I am running a [100Mbps POE switch](https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010QXCIRS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), thru a [Netgear switch](https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-GS105NA-Prosafe-5-Port-Gigabit/dp/B0000BVYT3/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1465616717&sr=8-3&keywords=netgear+gigabit+switch), into a [Linksys EA6400 router](https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-Dual-Band-Anywhere-EA6400/dp/B00D9S36CE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465616863&sr=8-1&keywords=linksys+ea6400), with Speed test.JPG130 down on a a wifi connection. The cameras are the [Amcrest 4mp bullets](https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Outdoor-Megapixel-Bullet-Security/dp/B01BN1FFF4) and [Alptop 4mp domes](https://www.amazon.com/Alptop®-AT-LIR400-Network-Security-Vandalproof/dp/B0156KN2M6/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1465617078&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=apltop+3mp+dome). However I currently only have one installed and am currently switching them out to narrow down the problem. They all do it. They do it in the default viewing software when I log into them and they do it in Blue Iris.

I am not 100% convinced all of these cameras are piles of shit, and since they all do it in both softwares, I am suspicious of the computer. If anyone has any ideas on where to look, I am very gratefull-

A littlefurther info on my setup: My 2 video cards are [NVIDIA GEforce 8800 GTS 512's](https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-GeForce-8800-Graphics-Upgrade/dp/B0012YZGQ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465617431&sr=8-1&keywords=NVIDIA+GEforce+8800+GTS+512). Both drivers are up to date, however I am only using one card to output to my monitor. Hard drive is [Samsung SSD 850 Evo](https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E1T0B-AM/dp/B00OBRFFAS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465617584&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+ssd+850+evo+1tb)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to use the process of elimination. Try connecting the camera direct to the pc. Then try another pc.

Reaction score
Hey, I am having this same problem with a Amcrest 3mp POE camera. In fact I bought two 3mp Amcrest cameras and both suffered from terrible artifacting/ghosting when being viewed from the surveillance pro software as well footage recorded on the NVR. I called Amcrest many times and each time they insisted it was a settings issue, which I knew was unlikely because I had spent hours changing virtually every setting every which way with no success. Anyways, I talked to them the other day and they admitted to me that many others had experienced this same problem and that the camera was defective and there was nothing they could do but replace it.

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anyways, I talked to them the other day and they admitted to me that many others had experienced this same problem and that the camera was defective and there was nothing they could do but replace it.
Wow.. So, let ask this question-- what cameras are worth a shit? It seems like such a gamble- the hikvisions are all a risk since half wont work, it seems like Amcrest and Foscam have problems. My Apltops turn off in the heat and freeze-- are any cameras worth a damn? If so, what are they?

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wow.. So, let ask this question-- what cameras are worth a shit? It seems like such a gamble- the hikvisions are all a risk since half wont work, it seems like Amcrest and Foscam have problems. My Apltops turn off in the heat and freeze-- are any cameras worth a damn? If so, what are they?
after 11 posts you prove to be a dick ! go to troll channel and get some advice have a nice life.

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
after 11 posts you prove to be a dick ! go to troll channel and get some advice have a nice life.
wait.. what? I have concluded my camera choice is / was wrong and asking which cameras are worth what you pay for.. Amcrest gives the run around on what they know is a problem.. Am I missing something? A dick? Im just asking whats a good buy.. Troll? dude.. what are you talking about?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hikvision works perfectly ..not sure where you get half won't work .. buy us region hikvision.

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hikvision works perfectly ..not sure where you get half won't work .. buy us region hikvision.
Thanks. Any way to confirm us region? I was just referring to the Chinese version firmware being a problem for many amazon reviewers.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. Any way to confirm us region? I was just referring to the Chinese version firmware being a problem for many amazon reviewers.
That is because they foolishly tried to upgrade firmware on hacked chinese region cameras. It will always brick and fail as per design.
Buy from a US supplier like nellys or LTS (see milkisbad thread).

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is because they foolishly tried to upgrade firmware on hacked chinese region cameras. It will always brick and fail as per design.
Buy from a US supplier like nellys or LTS (see milkisbad thread).
THianks for the reply. One quick question before I spend hundreds of dollars more on new cameras. I have switched out computers. Although this new computer doesnt have 32g of ram, it does have 16G of ram and my usage typically doesnt spike over 30%. I am still getting the freezing on this computer exactly like the other computer- On both sets of cameras as well as an ACTi camera my friend let me borrow last night. They all do it on all computers. However, I do have one common thread with both comptuers-- They both have identical video cards which do not allow for hardware acceleration. Could this be the cause for this? I dont have CCA wires- they are solid copper cat 5 cables. all of my settings are matched in the camera as well as BI. My bench tests produce the problem and they do it on the camera viewing software as well as the BI software on both computers. I understand Amcrest has some problems with BI, but it doesnt make sense to me they have identical problems as 2 others brands running on different platforms. Any feedback is appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
THianks for the reply. One quick question before I spend hundreds of dollars more on new cameras. I have switched out computers. Although this new computer doesnt have 32g of ram, it does have 16G of ram and my usage typically doesnt spike over 30%. I am still getting the freezing on this computer exactly like the other computer- On both sets of cameras as well as an ACTi camera my friend let me borrow last night. They all do it on all computers. However, I do have one common thread with both comptuers-- They both have identical video cards which do not allow for hardware acceleration. Could this be the cause for this? I dont have CCA wires- they are solid copper cat 5 cables. all of my settings are matched in the camera as well as BI. My bench tests produce the problem and they do it on the camera viewing software as well as the BI software on both computers. I understand Amcrest has some problems with BI, but it doesnt make sense to me they have identical problems as 2 others brands running on different platforms. Any feedback is appreciated.
My guess is that you have a problem on your network. connect the camera directly to a pc and test. Or pull the video card and use integrated graphics and test.

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My guess is that you have a problem on your network. connect the camera directly to a pc and test. Or pull the video card and use integrated graphics and test.
Man... So, I took your advice and I am 99% sure I fixed it. I had cabled back to my router after the POE switch. When I hooked the cameras directly into the computer, they didn't do it. I have a passive switch behind my router, but I was wiring my post POE signal back to the router instead of into the switch. When I reconfigured the cables to go into the passive switch instead of the router, it stopped. I thought i had it wired the other way to begin with, but I didn't. Thank you for answering my questions and thanks for the tip on connecting it directly into the PC. What a relief-- I feel like I have chased this issue for 20+ hours.