HDMI to BNC to HDMI

Pedro123

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, first post.

I have been using a CCTV outdoor camera for years and now want to convert to an IP Camera. The existing outdoor camera is BNC for which I have a cable running from the camera to a DVR in my office. The new IP camera can run on WIFI with an option of an HDMI cable, but I wanted to connect with the existing BNC cable to a LAN and view the video on my computer.

Seems I'll need to go from HDMI cable on the IP camera to BNC cable and back to HDMI cable to connect with my network. Goggle search shows converters for this purpose.

Needing some advice on how to make this work. For instance, will I need two converters - HDMI to BNC then BNC to HDMI?

Thanks in advance.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What IP camera outputs HDMI video? I think you have the camera's RJ-45 connector for Ethernet confused.
What is the make and model of that camera?

I also assume by the term "BNC" your cable is coaxial, RG-59 or RG-6.

If so the below device can provide Ethernet and POE (Power Over Ethernet) over coax to power a camera that is 802.3af/at POE compliant ==>> LINOVISION POE Over Coax EOC Converter IP Over Coax Max 3000ft Power and Data Transmission Over Regular RG59 Coaxial Cable for Upgrading Analog Surveillance System to IP Surveillance System

Linovision-EOC.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BTW, Welcome to IPCT ! :wave:

If that camera is an IP camera with Ethernet, you'll need a way to view it, either with a PC, smartphone or tablet, possibly a smart TV or a NVR so we'll await more info (like the IP camera make/model).

Last edited:

Pedro123

n3wb
Reaction score
What IP camera outputs HDMI video? I think you have the camera's RJ-45 connector for Ethernet confused.
What is the make and model of that camera?

I also assume by the term "BNC" your cable is coaxial, RG-59 or RG-6.
Sorry, yes the cable is COAX RG-6 with BNC connectors.

The IP camera's "Network Cable" is "Cat5E 4 pairs TIA /EIA-568-B.2 ISO/IEC 11801 Patch Cord"

Pedro123

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, yes the cable is COAX RG-6 with BNC connectors.

The IP camera's "Network Cable" is "Cat5E 4 pairs TIA /EIA-568-B.2 ISO/IEC 11801 Patch Cord"
The IP camera has a 256GB Micro SD, so I assume I don't need to connect with my DVR and can connect the directly to my router with the RG-45?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The IP camera has a 256GB Micro SD, so I assume I don't need to connect with my DVR and can connect the directly to my router with the RG-45?
How do you intend to view the contents of the SD card?
Acculenz model BP5 3K/5MP QHD
Is this the camera?

Pedro123

n3wb
Reaction score
How do you intend to view the contents of the SD card?
There is no need to constantly monitor the camera feed. I will only need to access the SD if there is a security issue and figure I can remove it and play on my computer. Probably once in a while I'll want to observe the camera's live view from my computer network.

Is this the camera?
Yes

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is no need to constantly monitor the camera feed. I will only need to access the SD if there is a security issue and figure I can remove it and play on my computer. Probably once in a while I'll want to observe the camera's live view from my computer network.

Yes
Most of these cameras put the file in certain format that your computer will not be able to read. In most cases the computer won't even recognize it and ask you if you want to format the SD card prior to using.

Pedro123

n3wb
Reaction score
Most of these cameras put the file in certain format that your computer will not be able to read. In most cases the computer won't even recognize it and ask you if you want to format the SD card prior to using.
The camera manual states format SD card to FAT32 or exFAT

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera manual states format SD card to FAT32 or exFAT
Yes that is what it formats in, but Windows won't read what is on the card as the camera doesn't have windows, it has a different operating system. If you have a Linux box sitting around, you can probably read it.

Pedro123

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes that is what it formats in, but Windows won't read what is on the card as the camera doesn't have windows, it has a different operating system. If you have a Linux box sitting around, you can probably read it.
There is a phone APP to download that will allow camera settings. I don't know if that will work on Win11 computer.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A phone app or web browser on PC pulling the video from the SD card while still in the camera is much different than physically pulling the SD card and inserting it in a Windows computer.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Yes
The specs on that cam are not provided so there's some unknowns but I'm fairly certain it's not POE-powered, meaning it likely has a 12VDC wall wart you'll have to plug in to 120VAC somewhere.

Pedro123

n3wb
Reaction score
A phone app or web browser on PC pulling the video from the SD card while still in the camera is much different than physically pulling the SD card and inserting it in a Windows computer.
So maybe I don't need to pull the SD. Manual instructions are very sparse. That part I can figure out after installation.

Pedro123

n3wb
Reaction score
I went to Amazon questions on the camera and saw this:
"…IMPORTANT TO KNOW:
When using SD card, this camera will not retain the recording and will wipe everything clean the next day if you don't schedule,One would think it would just automatically retain the recordings on the SD card, but NO.…"

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So maybe I don't need to pull the SD. Manual instructions are very sparse. That part I can figure out after installation.
I went to Amazon questions on the camera and saw this:
"…IMPORTANT TO KNOW:
When using SD card, this camera will not retain the recording and will wipe everything clean the next day if you don't schedule,One would think it would just automatically retain the recordings on the SD card, but NO.…"
Those types of cams are pretty much dependent on the app with a phone and they want you to pay for a subscription. :headbang:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You would be amazed at some of the silliness that goes along with no-name cameras.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd return it and get this ==>> 1080p (2MP) Bullet IP POE Security Camera W/ 2.8mm Lens, IP66 Weatherproof, 100' Night Vision, M2B

You can use an app to view remotely or a Windows program to view and record. It's POE powered (no outdoor wall wart) and is ONVIF-compliant and can stream to Blue Iris, VLC, etc. It even has a built-in microphone. It is NOT a Wi-Fi camera. You'd need a 802.3af/at compliant POE injector or POE switch to power it and you's still need the Ethernet over Coax adapter I mentioned in post #2.

It's only $56, I installed 4 of them in March '23, streaming to a Blue Iris PC.