Having trouble with Hik (LTS) web live view under Windows 10--black video window

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Today I received my new Hik (LTS) 4k NVR, and it is pretty nice... but I am having a Windows 10 problem that's preventing me from using the Live View features in the NVR's web portal.

If I use Firefox on my Windows 7 computer, the NVR web portal works as expected and I can see the live view. All the NVR's network video settings are on their defaults.

Under Windows 10, plugin installation seems to go fine, but Live View looks like this... a big black box.

lv.PNG

If I Record or Capture, I DO get images from the camera saved to this computer, so this smells like a display driver problem... it's truly the live view that is borked, the data does seem to be flowing. I installed the latest available GPU driver, but it didn't help.

I did try this under IE as well--not Edge, but good ol' IE--but it misbehaves. Clicking Login just does nothing, it's very weird. I've turned on every "trust" thing I can find and disabled all the ad-blockers etc, but old IE just won't let me log in to the NVR.

Any ideas? FWIW I am flying a Surface 2 Pro with Win 10 64-bit.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The Win10 Edge browser does not support plugins - so Live View and Playback will not function with it.
But IE on Win10 should and does work OK in terms of the plugin.
No ideas about the login issue though, sorry.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I spent a while last night doing every thing conceivable to get IE to cooperate, with no luck at all. I probably fiddled with all the trust/compatibility settings 10 times, and made everything as liberal and unsafe as possible in an effort to get that site to run right. milkisbad even had a tip, didn't pan out. Darn peculiar. I like this gear a lot but Hik's support for modern web browsers leaves something to be desired.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I fixed my Firefox live view problem! Still not sure why I could not get IE to work, but it doesn't matter now.

Because I was getting no video display (live or playback) BUT was able to save video clips and stills, I knew the video data was flowing ... so this did not seem like a network problem. It seemed like a display driver problem.

I had updated the Intel HD Graphics driver on my laptop, but that didn't do the trick. (Surface 2 Pro, Core i5-4300U with HD 4000 graphics)

Finally I went into the driver settings and tried turning OFF every kind of video and 3d enhancement the Intel GPU control panel had to offer. I don't know if it was the anti-aliasing in the 3D section, or "movie detection" in the video section... or one of the other 3-4 things I disabled... but the problem was with Intel's GPU driver, and the solution was turning off options the Intel HD Graphics control panel.

It's worth noting that by default, Microsoft Surface computers do not expose the Intel HD Graphics control panel. Nor do they let you manually update the Intel graphics drivers and get the control panel back without some tricks. I suspect that any stock Surface user would have the same web Live View problem I did. You can force install Intel graphics drivers by downloading the .zip version and manually choosing the .inf file in the /graphics folder. A more detailed outline is at this link, but be aware that the newest versions of the driver package have changed the name (but not the location) of the .inf file.

tl;dr Intel graphics users, turn off all the "helpful" 3d/video options in the Intel control panel; manually install Intel graphics drivers if your computer doesn't show you the Intel graphics control panel.

Last edited by a moderator: