Harddrive storage in NVR

monaro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a ds-7608ni-12/8p NVR that has a 3TB drive running 8 camera's. I believe I can run 2x6TB drives in the NVR. Can I ask what, besides keeping older logs before they get over written, does increasing hard drive capacity do. Does it take the load off one drive and shares it between two?
Thanks in advance for replies.

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The only real world difference is the additional recording capabilities.. Maybe if you had 16 cams all writing 10Mbps streams it might help, but I doubt it.
Not sure how an average NVR use two drives, whether they just use the storage as one blob or some sort or interleaving to write to each one in sequence.

Maybe someone else can confirm.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Can I ask what, besides keeping older logs before they get over written, does increasing hard drive capacity do. Does it take the load off one drive and shares it between two?
In my 7816N-E2/8P with 2 HDDs each set to 'R/W' mode, and with 'Enable HDD sleeping' and 'Enable Overwriting' ticked -
One drive is sleeping while recordings are stored on the other drive, overwriting the oldest files.
When the drive in use becomes full, recording moves to the previously sleeping drive and the full drive sleeps.
And the process repeats, with each drive being used alternately.

monaro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In my 7816N-E2/8P with 2 HDDs each set to 'R/W' mode, and with 'Enable HDD sleeping' and 'Enable Overwriting' ticked -
One drive is sleeping while recordings are stored on the other drive, overwriting the oldest files.
When the drive in use becomes full, recording moves to the previously sleeping drive and the full drive sleeps.
And the process repeats, with each drive being used alternately.
After the good advice here I have received, I have put in another drive. I have "enable Overwriting" ticked, but I'm unable to find the HDD sleep or R/W mode. Couldn't point me in the direction of these 2 could you alastair. I'm thinking it may due to different firmware versions that I'm unable to find them?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm unable to find the HDD sleep or R/W mode.
In the web GUI - R/W mode is chosen when the HDD is formatted.
'Enable overwrite' and 'Enable HDD Sleeping' is under Storage | Advanced Settings | Other in my 7816N-E2 with 3.4.91 firmware.