HARD DRIVE UPGRADE SSD?

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
yes. You will need a usb thumb drive to install the media creation tool
thanks I’ll add that to my list. I’ll start a new post about installing windows if I dont find what I need to know. Thanks again.

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anyone have a quality manufacture/brand recommendation for a 256gb or thereabouts M.2 2280 SSD?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
@Teeling, you ideally want a SURVEILLANCE drive for video storage. See what others have said above for an SSD / NVME - this for OS and BI + Surveillance Hard drive for video storage. The reason an SSD isn't suitable for use for video storage along with most Hard Drives also (although they last longer than flash devices), is video storage of CCTV footage incluides constant writing to the drive. SSD / NVME use flash and flash memory has a finite number of writes possible to each cell before it fails. That generally results in a shorter life than a hard drive, although modern SSD's do pretty well with intermitttent use which is why most people now use them for a PC main drive. Hard drives are more durable for video storage, but non surveillance drives aren't rated for constant writing either and so will most likely fail faster than a dedicated surveillance drive. Hence why people buy the surveillance versions of traditional hard drives - these are specifically designed for long life under constant data writing.

What you want your system drive map to look like therefore is 2 drives:

SSD / NVME = Windows + BI App

Surveillance Rated Hard Drive = Video Storage

Obviously if you complicate storage with RAID the total number of drives may exceed 2, however, the assignement between flash and hard drives should stay the same.

Last edited:

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Optiplex may not or probably wont boot from the PCI Bus.....'Last I heard anyway..
Things change,,,,,you could google dell support. but yeah
just put Windows on a small SSD
and you can put the video on the PCI bus card with SSD's if you want.
Just know there is talk about the limit of rewrites an SSD can handle.
But certainly it would work for awhile. maybe even over a year...
I started checking about if an Optiplex 7040 would boot from and SSD on the motherboard if the computer also has a sata drive installed. This is the description of my M.2 connector, M.2 2280 M-key (PCIe 3.0 x4, NVMe). The computer only has one so I’m assuming it supports NVMe? This article Windows 10 install with NVMe SSD and SATA drives. This article they might be a problem with this but shows a workaround,

Workaround

The current workaround is to disable all the SATA Storage device (HDD/SSD) controllers in the computer Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) before performing the Windows 10 install to the NVMe SSD from Dell media.

After disabling the SATA Storage Device, you also have to ensure that the BIOS is set up correctly by following these Steps:

1. Enter the BIOS by pressing F2 multiple times while the Dell Logo is shown.
  2. Go to Boot Sequence and set Boot List Option to UEFI
  3. Go to SATA Operation and choose AHCI
  4. In Advanced Boot Option, you click Enable Legacy Option ROMs
  5. Set Secure Boot to Disable
Once the Windows installation is completed, the SATA Storage Device controllers can be reenabled without any issues and both the NVMe drive and one or more SATA drives will function normally. No further changes are necessary.

This is now getting very complicated for me. My first question is does the M.2 connector on this computer also support NVMe. If I buy a 256gb m.2 2280 ssd can I install windows 10 on it and will it boot? I could then add my sata drive? Hope this makes sense to someone!

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I think @Flintstone61 was talking about something a little different there - booting from NVMe on the PCI card that you posted earlier.

I don't recall having to do all that when adding the NVMe to my 7040. May have had to change something in BIOS but, if so, no memorable struggle. Pulled the old drive, plugged it in, set it up as the boot drive, then added the storage drive after. I guess might differ depending on how the 7040 comes set up. In any case, definitely can boot from NVMe on the motherboard.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah your fine.
Some BIOS do not support PCI-e boot.
just use Nvme m.2 SSD for Windows.
the Dell system BIOS seems to Allow X amount of SATA Bus connections. for example if it has 3 SATA ports on board, in some cases 1 will be "given up" by the system IF the Nvme slot is used as a SATA device.
So if you have a DVD-rw, and a Surveilance drive AND an NVME on board, you're good.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Very little difference between NVME and SSD in pratice. If you have somewhere to mount the drive, it might be easier for you to use an SSD via SATA. It will probably remove any boot complications as you'll still be using the same connector as the system drive came connected to.

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Thanks purchased one of each. And thanks for all the help and that of others.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Heres the mother Board on ebay, for your reference. m.2 drive goes in yellow rectangle,
Like CCTV said sometimes its less hassle to go 2.5" SSD on the SATA port 0( for Windows) and a Surveilance drive on the other SATA port 1.
in a SFF though, you can manage space in the case nicely with the onboard m.2 drive.
1673837135803.png

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If your mobo has a m.2 slot then my advice would be to absolutely go with an m.2 drive as any spare space you can keep for other drives will be useful. Well it would be in my case, pardon the pun.
Yes. A lot depends on how many connectors you have, whether there is anywhere to mount an SSD cage, and how many other drives you need / intend to connect.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes. A lot depends on how many connectors you have, whether there is anywhere to mount an SSD cage, and how many other drives you need / intend to connect.
Yes That does become an issue.

For example with the home Dell desktop, it has no m.2 slot so I replaced the boot drive with an SSD but also wanted another large storage drive but there is no additional SATA power connector so I ended up grafting/soldering one to the existing cabling. Looks quite professional as I finished it all off with heat shrink

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
That's one of the reasons I built. More expensive, but Dell are not great PC's in my opinion, (I'm not the only one who thinks that: Dell is rated "Bad" with 1.4 / 5 on Trustpilot). There have been articles slatting them recently as well for quality. But what I hate about them more than anything is the proprietory nature. Everything seems cut down, custom and often cannot be replaced with conventional parts plus connectors etc are at a premium. To self build is poor value. My BI pc cost a bit over £500 in the end (no gpu but including a 2nd network card) compared to a refurb Dell of lower spec which is about £300 in the UK or 1/2 that in the US. But what I have is a pc that's got top class if middle end hierarchy components throughout and lots of connectors and modularity. I can swap out anything in there anytime for something newer or better or simply to repair something failed. To me that's worth the extra but I appreciate in the US especially, where new Dells can be had for less than $200, why many may simply choose to buy off the shelf.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
My HP 600 G2 with an i5-6500 cost me I think £110 3 or so years ago, added some RAM which cost me around a tenner. So just added a multi port network card which I already had and SSD and storage drives.

Gotta agree, professional range of desktops do seem to be built to a price but the G2 is serving me well.

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My HP 600 G2 with an i5-6500 cost me I think £110 3 or so years ago, added some RAM which cost me around a tenner. So just added a multi port network card which I already had and SSD and storage drives.

Gotta agree, professional range of desktops do seem to be built to a price but the G2 is serving me well.
thanks the one I got was an i7-6700 for $150, 16gm Ram, its on the higher end but it came with a clean install of windows ten pro. I purchased it from the Blind Center of Nevada Electronics. From there write up it looks like a great organization for the blind.

what cameras do you use if I may ask? Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would still do a media creation tool clean install of Win10. Their clean install could have been from the manufacturer with their bloatware.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
thanks the one I got was an i7-6700 for $150, 16gm Ram, its on the higher end but it came with a clean install of windows ten pro. I purchased it from the Blind Center of Nevada Electronics. From there write up it looks like a great organization for the blind.

what cameras do you use if I may ask? Thanks
Thankfully I did a lot of reading and also found this site so all my cams are Dahua either 2Mp starlight or 4Mp low light cams.