HARD DRIVE UPGRADE SSD?

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I purchased a Dell OptiPlex 7040 SFF and it has a 500Gb hard drive. I would like to upgrade it to a SSD and this is where I get confused. Below shows what is available in the computer but I dont quite know what it means. The western Digital SSD from Amazon. Pretty much what I’m asking is what should I buy to make the best of what I have. Combo SSD AND HHD? Or all SSD’s if that’s possible. I need nothing more than 2tb for storage. I havent yet received the computer. Thanks

M.2 slotsM.2 2280 M-key (PCIe 3.0 x4, NVMe)

Western Digital 1TB WD Blue SN570 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive SSD - Gen3 x4 PCIe 8Gb/s, M.2 2280, Up to 3,500 MB/s - WDS100T3B0C

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That's not an "SSD." It's an NVMe drive that plugs into a slot for it on the motherboard of the computer. Which the 7040 having is a good thing. That will be a little faster and saves space in the drive cage. So that's the better way to go. You'd install the OS and VMS on that and then replace the 500Gb HD with a 2Tb or whatever you want for video storage.

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Technically, is IS a SSD, it's just not a 2.5" (laptop) 7mm thick form factor that many, if not most, people associate as being a SSD but instead is a "M.2 2280" form factor, a card that plugs into a NVMe slot. It looks like this==>> Western Digital 1TB WD Blue SN570 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive SSD

View attachment 150864
Ok then this computer has

PCI slotsPCIe 3.0 x16; PCIe 3.0 x4;

i could then buy a M.2 NVMe PCIe Adapter,Dual M2 SATA B Key and NVMe M 1673650528624.jpegKey to PCI-e x4 Adapter Card add several WD NVMe SSD like the one you if I chose vs adding a mechanical HD?

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you're using Blue Iris, put ONLY Windows, BI and BI's "db" folder on the NVMe SSD; put BI video clips on a surveillance-rated, SATA-interface, spinning HDD like a WD Purple.

I personally would have no need for multiple SSD's on a BI server, not even for RAID.
I understand but would an SSD 1tb drive be better than a 1tb SATA drive. There are about the same price. Seems the SSD would be a better choice regardless of tb size, discounting price difference for larger capacity drives.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes an SSD is better than a HDD. But all you will have on it is Windows, BI, and the BI database, so 250GB is more than enough.

But if you have the spot for the NVMe, that is the best choice for Windows, BI and the BI database.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seems the SSD would be a better choice regardless of tb size, discounting price difference for larger capacity drives.
Yes, BUT, insure you follow my suggestion is my post #5:

"....put ONLY Windows, BI and BI's "db" folder on the [NVMe] SSD; put BI video clips on a surveillance-rated, SATA-interface, spinning HDD like a WD Purple."

Surveillance-rated HDD's are purpose-built for constant write operations and seldom read operations. There are surveillance-rated SSD's but they are pricey.
I'd just go with what works and is proven to be reliable setup.

Reaction score
I understand but would an SSD 1tb drive be better than a 1tb SATA drive. There are about the same price. Seems the SSD would be a better choice regardless of tb size, discounting price difference for larger capacity drives.
I think there is some confusion here.

What experienced IP Cam folks here would say is that for a BI server, you want two, separate storage devices:

1. An SSD/NVMe device for loading Windows Operating System, the BlueIris executable files, and the BlueIris database files. Typically a 250GB unit will suffice. That is what I have on my server and it is only 60% full.
2. A surveillance rated HDD device in the muti-terabyte size range for storing video. Typically Western Digital and Seagate offer those drives and are now quite affordable. I have three WD 10TB drives on my server. Buy more than you 'think' you need. I thought I only needed 10 TB based on the few cams I 'thought' would be my total. Now I have 30TB and a lot more cams and really wish I had room for more drives.

Realize that while SSD technology is considerably faster than HDD technology, the proper surveillance drives are way fast enough. Getting faster drives just is not needed and is a waste. SSD technology drives are not optimized for continuous writes and can wear out faster, though some folks use them and have not reported problems.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Optiplex may not or probably wont boot from the PCI Bus.....'Last I heard anyway..
Things change,,,,,you could google dell support. but yeah
just put Windows on a small SSD
and you can put the video on the PCI bus card with SSD's if you want.
Just know there is talk about the limit of rewrites an SSD can handle.
But certainly it would work for awhile. maybe even over a year...

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Get the NVMe drive if the desktop has a slot for it, in terms of size 250gb is enough but if you want 1tb get that if you think you will make use of the extra space.

Then use any or all available space within the desktop for full fat surveillance hard drive(s) for your recordings.

In my desktop I have a 250gb SSD that I use as the boot, program and BI DB drive then have a 6Tb and a 8Tb 3.5” hard drives for recordings.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
250GB is more than enough. Remember you are only using this for BI. The camera video and operating systems should be on two drives.

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
250GB is more than enough. Remember you are only using this for BI. The camera video and operating systems should be on two drives.
thanks, so on the ssd 250gb is windows 10 and BI software. On a second drive, sata large capacity, is storage/ video? Also this computer doesn’t have wifi or blue tooth and it appears it at least needs Wifi to update software correct? What should I get for that? The computer comes with a 500gb hard drive with windows 10 installed. Do I transfer windows from there to the new ssd Drive or go the other way that was explained to me using MS creation tool?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks, so on the ssd 250gb is windows 10 and BI software. On a second drive, sata large capacity, is storage/ video? Also this computer doesn’t have wifi or blue tooth and it appears it at least needs Wifi to update software correct? What should I get for that? The computer comes with a 500gb hard drive with windows 10 installed. Do I transfer windows from there to the new ssd Drive or go the other way that was explained to me using MS creation tool?
you dont want or need wifi. The pc should be connected to the same switch as the cameras via ETHERNET. DO NOT TRANSFER OR CLONE. Reinstall windows with the tool

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
you dont want or need wifi. The pc should be connected to the same switch as the cameras via ETHERNET. DO NOT TRANSFER OR CLONE. Reinstall windows with the tool
How do I get BI installed on my computer without internet/wifi? Use Ethernet cable attached directly to my router?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How do I get BI installed on my computer without internet/wifi? Use Ethernet cable attached directly to my router?
Yes ethernet cable... It should be plugged into the same switch as your cameras and then that switch should be plugged into the router.

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks will this work? I dont have my PC yet And don’t own one presently. I only use wifi from my router To my iPad. The router is tethered to a cell phone hotspot which gives me my wifi for my home. Is this going to work this way?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks will this work? I dont have my PC yet And don’t own one presently. I only use wifi from my router To my iPad. The router is tethered to a cell phone hotspot which gives me my wifi for my home. Is this going to work this way?
Well you're going to need the PC... And the POE switch to power the cameras

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well you're going to need the PC... And the POE switch to power the cameras
I have the Poe switch, cable tools, cable ends. Just waiting for computer and trying to buy the other parts for the computer before it arrives, Sid’s, BI, cameras etc.
I will be getting the computer before all the cable is run and I want BI installed before hand so I can play with the one camera I’m going to buy first before others.

So back to my setup will I be able the load BI into my new computer with the setup I have now? Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the Poe switch, cable tools, cable ends. Just waiting for computer and trying to buy the other parts for the computer before it arrives, Sid’s, BI, cameras etc.
I will be getting the computer before all the cable is run and I want BI installed before hand so I can play with the one camera I’m going to buy first before others.

So back to my setup will I be able the load BI into my new computer with the setup I have now? Thanks
yes. You will need a usb thumb drive to install the media creation tool