Happy ending: Attempted heist of neighbor's trailer

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I jumped in the car and headed up my driveway and towards their location. At 9:33:30, they can hear me hauling ass to get to them. They abort and flee in my direction. I try to wave them down, but they blow right past me. I do a 180° and chase down the slower vehicle (Frontier with the trailer). Their tag was bent upward so that it was not visible. Eventually I get around him and stop broadside so he can't get by. I arm myself, and approach their vehicle.
Yikes... glad you didn't get hurt going after them. They could have been armed? I don't think I'd have done that.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why didn't you just shoot em? No one would come looking for those human piles of :poop: and would have saved the tax payers a lot of future $$ in public atty fees and prison housing.
...and then delete the video of course. :winktongue:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Pity your neighbour can't fit a lock that requires a padlock.You could use a Kryptonite lock then rendering bolt cutters useless.

I seem to remember the lockpicking lawyer (youtube) said he uses one of the higher level Krytponite locks to secure his own possessions as they're close to as good as you can get.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just a quick update. The sheriff was able to locate both vehicles and drivers. They executed a search warrant on their properties, and found a motherlode of stolen goods. They're both in jail now. Who knows for how long.

Here's a mugshot that the county's chief investigator sent me.

1647788043350.png

Sure hope they stay there...

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Awesome work!

Curious what state/county this is because it seems most jurisdictions aren't interested in prosecuting property crimes anymore.

My '91 Kawasaki stand up jetski was taken along with trailer a few years ago from my parent's farm, which was what prompted me to join the forum and learn about surveillance cameras.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Awesome work!

Curious what state/county this is because it seems most jurisdictions aren't interested in prosecuting property crimes anymore.

My '91 Kawasaki stand up jetski was taken along with trailer a few years ago from my parent's farm, which was what prompted me to join the forum and learn about surveillance cameras.
Middle-TN... My county has less than 20k people in it. My town has less than 200. It's VERY rural, and quite frankly, I think local law enforcement is bored ;) At least that's the impression I got when THE Sheriff came to investigate. Then again, it is an election year.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Middle-TN... My county has less than 20k people in it. My town has less than 200. It's VERY rural, and quite frankly, I think local law enforcement is bored ;) At least that's the impression I got when THE Sheriff came to investigate. Then again, it is an election year.
Hey Neighbor! Obviously, you are not in Davidson or one of the surrounding counties of developing urban sprawl. I have had stray vehicles come down my farm lane back to our house on very rare occasion, also. They usually get met in the dark by a semi-nakid, hairy fat guy with a AR-15, hauling ass in a diesel gator, if I am at home. Otherwise, if it is in the daytime, as soon as they see my big O'l HikVision PTZ turret following their vehicle down the drive, they do a U-turn in the field in front of the house and haul ass.

Last edited:

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Awesome work @erkme73 ! Glad everyone is safe, you saved a neighbours property, and the scum is behind bars.

Time to dig a well thought out trench @Smilingreen , covered in a camo mesh (in the field). Couple flash bangs .. hell fire off the 15 for good measure, and watch 'em scatter. :)

I still recall the time I was running lights and sirens down the hwy on a chest pain call in a rural area. As I blasted up on an SUV, they not only whipped over to the right BUT I watched 3 men pile out and sprint (literally) for the hills, never to be seen again! It wasn't truly until I was coming back from that call, and saw the vehicle still sitting there, doors open, that it occurred to me that they were bad actors .. drug mules, thieves, or had jacked that SUV in town. And that's when the value of a light and sound show set in. That still cracks me up :rofl:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Get that in yourt facial recognition software for next time!

It's great you guys can do that. Under our Data laws the Sheriff would be in jail for sharing the photo.
I'm not sure where you are located but in the US, arrest reports (including mug shots) are public records for adults (minors are handled differently). Heck, back in the day most small town newspapers would print the arrest records with mug shots in the newspaper!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
In the UK data protection laws apply. A boss can't even show photos of thieves to employees or allow employees to view cctv. If the Pplice want CCTV of a crime, they have to submit a formal request in writing. Such is the craziness.

AvengeMyLawn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Long term trailer storage for your neighbor, might be a good idea to just put it on stands and remove the wheels. Secure them or store them offsite until they are needed to move the trailer.

Reaction score
Hey Neighbor! Obviously, you are not in Davidson or one of the surrounding counties of developing urban sprawl. I have had stray vehicles come down my farm lane back to our house on very rare occasion, also. They usually get met in the dark by a semi-nakid, hairy fat guy with a AR-15, hauling ass in a diesel gator, if I am at home. Otherwise, if it is in the daytime, as soon as they see my big O'l HikVision PTZ turret following their vehicle down the drive, they do a U-turn in the field in front of the house and haul ass.
Yes, Davidson County, where the District Attorney brags about how the number of people incarcerated has dropped since he took office.

And he's quite right. When the DA's office doesn't bother to prosecute people who are arrested for property crime, the incarceration rate does indeed drop. Fortunately, it's an election year. On the other hand, there's no indication that the people running against him will be any better.