H.265 won't play, how do I change the export type?

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have some new Dahua cameras that record in H.265 to my Dahua NVR.
When I export the video via Smart PSS as an MP4, AVI or ASF the video codec is still H.265.

Windows wants to charge money for buying another codec plugin and most programs do not work with the video codec (Video editors).
1644700258105.png1644700279476.png

Is there some setting in Smart PSS to download as 'recognisable' format?

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of video I export from the NVR to share with others gets sent through a video editor first to blur out personal information watermarked on.
OK, so you've changed the ground rules now.

Windows wants to charge money for buying another codec plugin
$0.99 doesn't seem so bad to fix your problem.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Any modern video editor will support 265. You may need to pay the dollar for it to work. Your only other option would be to change the codec in the camera itself and accept the consequences.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I save the file I want to play in .dav format, then convert it to .mp4 with Handbrake. Slow process, but plays ok on windows.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any modern video editor will support 265.
I get the reasoning behind 'change your software to accept H265'.
But one change in the export process could fix this issue instead of wiggling around for every bit of software.

Surely Blue Iris has something built in that reencodes the H265 video as you export, so there's bound to be something for NVR export software.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I get the reasoning behind 'change your software to accept H265'.
But one change in the export process could fix this issue instead of wiggling around for every bit of software.

Surely Blue Iris has something built in that reencodes the H265 video as you export, so there's bound to be something for NVR export software.
This is untrue. Its not simply change the export process. You are confusing containers with codecs. If you want to change the codec, from 265 video to 264 video the software must reencode the entire file and alter it. That capability requires time and resources to implement. Dahua assumes if you record at 265 you have the capability of viewing same. They dont care about your video editing needs. The
You dont need to change your video editing software, any package that is not many years old would support it, and it may require you to shell out an entire dollar.
While blue iris can export 265 video to 264, there are a few hundred features blue iris has that a basic package like pss will never have.

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm tight and don't have much cash, but even I'd spend $1 to get it fixed.

The alternative is to download a codec pack, but the issue then is you don't always know what your downloading. $1 vs possible virus and the choice isn't hard. Bitethe bullet, pay your dollar once and enjoy .265 for ever.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm tight and don't have much cash, but even I'd spend $1 to get it fixed.
The alternative is to download a codec pack, but the issue then is you don't always know what your downloading. $1 vs possible virus and the choice isn't hard. Bitethe bullet, pay your dollar once and enjoy .265 for ever.
VLC will do for me on this. $1 will just goes towards Window's built in video player.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is untrue. Its not simply change the export process.
If you want to change the codec, from 265 video to 264 video the software must reencode the entire file and alter it. That capability requires time and resources to implement.
Hmm,
Yeah it's what I was presuming about H265 vs H264, reencoding software is literally going over the source video frame-by-frame and saving again as the new codec.

I suppose that leaves the question about what is the most efficient reencoding software. :confused:
Handbrake estimates 2+ hours for 3 hours of H265 video.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Why don’t you just change the format to h264 in the cams themselves?

Also don’t forget that although you may pay the charge for the codec you’ll have to convert the clip if you ever want to give it to somebody as there’s no guarantee that they’ll have the hardware/software to reliably play h265.

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
K lite codec pack for Windows should help. Just make sure you download from a legitimate site

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also don’t forget that although you may pay the charge for the codec you’ll have to convert the clip if you ever want to give it to somebody as there’s no guarantee that they’ll have the hardware/software to reliably play h265.
Yes, that's the main reason I'm seeking other options than the codec pack.
I see the codec pack as myself getting around the issue now, but will run into it again later.