Giving up: Just want a true PoE DB Cam...

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
see if IPCT member @devastator can send you a Node-Red flow he created for his "when someone at this driveway gate, a picture is sent to smartphone". He is the one encouraged me to go with Home Assistant instead of Homeseer :)
This is what I have: whenever my gate is openend, my alarm is activated/deactivated or the alarm goes off, it takes a picture of all my cameras and posts them to telegram. In case the alarm goes off, it also sends the pictures to my family members and neighbours, otherwise only to me and my wife. In case we are home, some of the messages will be muted.
I created this so that somebody e.g. steals my PC, I still have the images on telegram. Also, it allows my family members to be notified when something is going on. Whenever the alarm goes off, it will keep sending pictures every 5 seconds untill the alarm is deactivated (or somebody sends /stop to the telegram bot).

I can also easily request snapshots via telegram (e.g. /camera gate)

As soon as I receive my Coral USB Accelerator, I will have it send messages when people are detected when we're not home. This could then be used e.g. for a doorbell.

1591095327453.png

Attachments

Reaction score
Thanks Devastator! This is BEAUTIFUL. As an old enterprise architecture guy, I have an appreciation for what you've done here.

I'm not familiar with Telegram but a very quick google search and some assumptions leads me to believe you are using the Telegram App for notifications.

You and Holbs have restored my belief that a cost-effective solution can actually be implemented. Looking forward to getting this job done.

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @John Kochanowski

Yes, I use it for notifications, but it is much more. It's a messaging platform, much like WhatsApp, but with extra features. You can create a Bot, and using the APi you can have that bot send messages. Your bot can also react to messages it receives (use the Authorized node to limit the ppl from which it can take messages !), like I do in the flow with the Receiver node.

The both can join channels (compare it with WhatsApp groups), but can also do one on one conversations. In case of an alarm, it will send to a group. In case of any other event, it will send messages to me and my wife only (probably should make that a separate group too).

It also has a web client (like whatsapp), and in Chrome you can receive notifications. So even when I am at work, I get camera notifications on my desktop.

Reach out to me if you have any questions.

Reaction score
Thanks Devastator! This is BEAUTIFUL. As an old enterprise architecture guy, I have an appreciation for what you've done here.

I'm not familiar with Telegram but a very quick google search and some assumptions leads me to believe you are using the Telegram App for notifications.

You and Holbs have restored my belief that a cost-effective solution can actually be implemented. Looking forward to getting this job done.
FYI: this is a flow from Node-Red and Home Assistant for DIY home automation (both are open source & free btw), not just a single app :)

Reaction score
Much appreciate the additional insights. I just started using Discord as a messaging platform and have to look into that as a consideration in addition to Telegram. I didn't realize Node-Red and Home Assistant were free. I've been out of the game for too long.

This is shaping up to be a potentially fun project after all.

Reaction score
Much appreciate the additional insights. I just started using Discord as a messaging platform and have to look into that as a consideration in addition to Telegram. I didn't realize Node-Red and Home Assistant were free. I've been out of the game for too long.

This is shaping up to be a potentially fun project after all.
I started out just wanting a couple Costco coaxial analog cameras. Through some researching, I came across this site. The world opened up for more toys :)

Reaction score
Haha! Yes...

Finding this site is what made me run almost 1000ft of Cat 6 when we did a small 8'x17' mudroom on the backside of the house. Now we need to buy a washer/dryer set so I can hook them up to the network... along with new PoE wall/ceiling speakers and pet food dispenser. :)

Reaction score
Haha! Yes...

Finding this site is what made me run almost 1000ft of Cat 6 when we did a small 8'x17' mudroom on the backside of the house. Now we need to buy a washer/dryer set so I can hook them up to the network... along with new PoE wall/ceiling speakers and pet food dispenser. :)
Yeah once the bug gets you it's hard to stop, i started with just 4 cameras i have 13 now and i need to get two more. Don't tell my better half about the two more needed!

danyhat

n3wb
Reaction score
A little above the budget (200) you have the gds3710 (around 289e) which is a SIP video doorbell. Reviews seem to be mixed, but GS is improving the software.

EDIT:
Got one. Great device! RTSP (3 streams), ONVIF, SIP, Motion Detection with automatic upload to server, no dependencies.

Last edited:

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I too wanted a POE option and ended up going with the Ring Elite. I like that it firs in a single gang outlet and I like that its POE, but thats about it.

20200627_113513.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
It really is a great design and is exactly what I would hope for in a db cam from an appearance perspective. But the cloud and subscription service thing... I just can't. I still find it hard to wrap my head around why no other company has taken this on and produced one that can be used without the subscription service. Well, aside from a company's cost-benefit analysis making it a less than ideal pursuit. I guess.

Thanks for sharing the pic. Love the install you did and how it looks.