Giving up: Just want a true PoE DB Cam...

Reaction score
... for under $200US.

After a couple of years of looking/waiting for a DB cam I'm seriously on the verge of giving up.

We had an extension put on to the back of the house and I pre-wired Cat6 for security cams and even ran a line specifically for a DB cam. Granted, I didn't do the due diligence prior (I had a much bigger project to deal with) and assumed I could find a decently priced PoE DB cam that didn't require a PoE injector.

I was apparently wrong.

I may have to just go with a wireless DB cam until something comes along. I'm no expert in the security camera game but I am perplexed why a quality residential, true PoE DB cam costs come in around the 400-800 range. I would have thought by now the gap would have been identified and leveraged!

It may be that my ignorance is limiting my understanding or I'm completely missing out on one that already exists. I've poked around on this site and the consensus seems to be that one still does not exist.

Please, if anyone knows of a quality true PoE DB cam (doesn't require a PoE injector) for around $200US, I'd love to hear about it. My wife is starting to yell at me because there is a green Cat6 cable hanging outside of our new brick wall.

Reaction score
I feel your pain. But at same time, I understand that camera manufactures realize that 98% of residential folks in need of a doorbell+camera seek a wireless option, not hardwired. The higher priced doorbell+camera models are more geared towards a business (think backdoor of a warehouse) or a secured civil govt setting (think police station). There are rare folks who actually hardwire their cameras in an existing home (like myself) or totally pre-wire a house in new construction. I do not think (in a business sense) that justifies the R&D into a cheaper residential hardwire doorbell+camera model so that is why you only see wireless options. In my opinion, of course :)
Granted, I do not see the business financial challenge of easily converting a wireless model into one with a NIC port. Maybe it's the compact design.
I notice you bring up a true POE camera that doesn't require a POE injector. Well, all POE cameras either work of a POE switch or a POE injector. Not sure what you mean by all cams require a injector.
In the end, I just put a Dahua boobie cam a couple inches above my existing doorbell.
* sidenote * In my opinion...Dahua / HikVision / Lorex type of enterprise classed cameras are just that...meant for businesses and govt. Us homeowners just happen to use them for residential.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks, Holbs.

I totally agree with you on the R&D thing and a company tackling the low hanging fruit. The wireless approach for the majority is where the easy money is found.

Regarding my use of "true PoE". That's just my ignorance of networking and PoE. I'm just starting to tread into learning PoE, PoE+, PoE++. I do have a 28-port switch that is running in my current configuration. Right now the only real device running over PoE is my Unifi Access Point.

I had really hoped I would just be able to go out and purchase a decent DB cam to that wire hanging outside the front door and the other end into my PoE switch... do a little configuration and... be done. Man, nothing seems to be easy :)

I JUST saw someone posted Ubiquiti Unifi has a G4 db cam coming in at $199... but of course, it is sold out and it doesn't currently show on their webpage at all. I'm going to do a little more poking around to see if it can be run "true PoE" :)

Really appreciate the feedback.

Reaction score
Unless I change my criteria to include anything over $400. Ugh. I guess I need to cut that line hanging out of the wall. :(

Reaction score
For time being, slap in the dual-boobie-cam HDBW4231FP-E2-M like I did. It's no doorbell, but it does the camera side of things wonderfully. And then get into Home Assistant / Node-Red (like I am trying to) for the automation notification to smartphone thing.

Reaction score
For time being, slap in the dual-boobie-cam HDBW4231FP-E2-M like I did. It's no doorbell, but it does the camera side of things wonderfully. And then get into Home Assistant / Node-Red (like I am trying to) for the automation notification to smartphone thing.
Hey @Holbs please point me to how you eventually wind up doing it! I’ve got my doorbell camera picture showing in Home Assistant, but never went past that into HA automation or NodeRed. Thanks!!

Reaction score
Looks like a great option! I'll look in to it. I Just need to know how it's powered.

I have the light switch on the interior next to the back door... near (but not too close) where the camera would be mounted outside.

To be honest, I don't care too much about having the chimes and the ability to communicate. Those would be awesome but for now, I just want to be able to capture what's going on right there at the door.

Will be doing the research on this one shortly.

THANK YOU!

Reaction score
Hey @Holbs please point me to how you eventually wind up doing it! I’ve got my doorbell camera picture showing in Home Assistant, but never went past that into HA automation or NodeRed. Thanks!!
see if IPCT member @devastator can send you a Node-Red flow he created for his "when someone at this driveway gate, a picture is sent to smartphone". He is the one encouraged me to go with Home Assistant instead of Homeseer :)

Reaction score
Looks like a great option! I'll look in to it. I Just need to know how it's powered.

I have the light switch on the interior next to the back door... near (but not too close) where the camera would be mounted outside.

To be honest, I don't care too much about having the chimes and the ability to communicate. Those would be awesome but for now, I just want to be able to capture what's going on right there at the door.

Will be doing the research on this one shortly.

THANK YOU!
you have 28 port POE switch already running your Unifi AP? Or is that running off a single power injector? If you are considering going IP cameras in the future, best now to look into getting 4 or 8 or 12 or 24 port POE switch.

Reaction score
you have 28 port POE switch already running your Unifi AP? Or is that running off a single power injector? If you are considering going IP cameras in the future, best now to look into getting 4 or 8 or 12 or 24 port POE switch.
Yeah... have a PoE switch where I'm running a few lines around the house plus my Unifi AP. I need to do more research but I am hoping I can use my existing PoE switch when I start setting up camera's around the exterior.

Reaction score
And there ya go. Just plug in any IP camera into your POE switch, magic happens! No power injectors needed. Well...handy to have around JUST IN CASE you come close to overloading your POE switch or for troubleshooting purposes.
I suggest you read the IPCT Cliff Notes too.

Reaction score
And there ya go. Just plug in any IP camera into your POE switch, magic happens! No power injectors needed. Well...handy to have around JUST IN CASE you come close to overloading your POE switch or for troubleshooting purposes.
I suggest you read the IPCT Cliff Notes too.
So what are the chances I could just run this dual-boobie-cam straight into my PoE switch?

Reaction score
100%. It is what I'm doing. Every IP camera I have is running to my POE switch for their power requirements.
After that thought... now ask if it is wise to have a IP camera on same network as your PC? Haha...that's a whole different can of worms.

Reaction score
100%. It is what I'm doing. Every IP camera I have is running to my POE switch for their power requirements.
Outstanding! All this makes sense... but I STILL struggle to understand why $200 PoE DB cams aren't available for us! :)

Don't respond to that! You already answered. I don't know why but it is one of those little things that just makes me nuts.

Honestly, really appreciate the insights.

Reaction score
After that thought... now ask if it is wise to have a IP camera on same network as your PC? Haha...that's a whole different can of worms.
Great... didn't think of that? Again... can nothing be easy???

Reaction score
Great... didn't think of that? Again... can nothing be easy???
IPCT forums posts explain pro's/con's of IP camera network setup, well beyond the initial scope of your power requirement forum post. I have Ubiquiti UDM router and Ubiquiti 48 port managed POE switch. So is easy for me to setup VLAN subnets and firewall rules. Not so if have non-managed switch and gaming wifi router.
You gots some researching to do.