get mail notifications back to work - they do not work anymore since yesterday

rotation

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have 2 Hikvision cameras DS-2CD2142FWD-I which worked fine until today.
I have line crossing detection where a mail should be sent.
I received the mails for years, but since yesterday they stopped.

I tried a few mail servers but always get back a "failed to connect to the test server".
There has been no change to my system so I do not know why this happens.

I tried deactivating all firewall blocks for both 465 and 587 ports and tried different combinations of login and smtp servers with different providers but nothing.
I tried gmx, riseup, mail.ru since these are the ones I used in the past and riseup worked until yesterday.
I tried restarting everyhting and entering DNS servers in the cam directly but no change :(

I constantly get a failed to connect, could you help me get the mail notifications back?
I honestly do not know why since nothing was changed.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is called all email and text providers are strengthening their spam algorithms and they blocked it because coding wise they can tell it wasn't initiated by a person but rather an object. You may find another like gmail or something that works for awhile, and then it stops and may start up again or may not.

That or since you apparently have your cameras connected to the internet, the cameras were hacked and was sending out DDoS and your ISP blocked it from sending stuff.

OR the email has to go thru Hik server and it down.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried a few mail servers but always get back a "failed to connect to the test server".
There has been no change to my system so I do not know why this happens.
This might be a networking problem as opposed to a mailserver problem, especially as you tried so many with no success.

A simple test to prove out basic networking is working can be done if you are using an internet FQDN (ie an external site address by name) for the time server, for example time.windows.com
Assuming there is a 'test' button against the NTP server setting under System Settings | Time Settings click the button and check the result.
This will test both name resolution, via the DNS that's configured, and connectivity to the internet via the configured gateway.

rotation

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for the answers,

the test NTP server button is a good suggestion.
When clicking the button the cam waits for a bit and then I get a white screen, no confirmation.
I tried the camera on a unfirewalled network and it is the same.

Which leads me to the assumption Hikvision somehow changed something.
I now added the mails to my synology NAS and this sends mail perfectly with the settings Hikvision does not do anymore.