Geofencing

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Check out the new Geofencing feature introduced by Blue Iris. Automatically enable alerts or indoor cameras when you leave the house and turn them off when your get back. See the details in the what's new section.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone messed with geofencing yet? What is your experience with it?

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I read we need to be logged in for it to work. Anyone know if this is confirmed?

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, I set my perimeter to 25m for example to test this out.....I close the app and start walking.....nothing happens when I know profiles should have changed. I stop at my current location, open the app, and bam, it switches over. I used the "server location" and not "current location" in the app setup for geofencing. I sent a note to Ken on this...will update once I know more.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here's Ken's update to me regarding geofencing for Android:My Android developer may have some more testing to do ... It should be attempting to connect for notification on the WAN address only. The app should not have to be open, but then again I am not sure how Android handles that. With iOS, the app does not have to be running, the OS runs it in the background when necessary.Ken

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's Ken's update to me regarding geofencing for Android:My Android developer may have some more testing to do ... It should be attempting to connect for notification on the WAN address only. The app should not have to be open, but then again I am not sure how Android handles that. With iOS, the app does not have to be running, the OS runs it in the background when necessary.Ken

Android apps run in the background too, that is why push notification works, BI is always listening. On my phone I use greenify to hibernate everything that I don't want running all the time and listening for stuff, it saves tons of battery. I leave stuff like BI and google voice alone of course because I actually want to get text messages and push notifications from my camera system.

Reaction score
hi,
i'm trying geofencing but i don't understand one thing.
How do the BI know where is the reference position ? (to know if i'm in or out)
I ask this because it doesn't work as well.
At the moment it says me 'out' ... i'm at home since yesterday !
:cool:

for your information i'm on android with the lastest version.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When you first activated geofencing on the app, it asks you whether you want to use current location or server location. Not sure how it knows the server location...if your gps was off when you set current location then your home area is not accurate.

alitech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys

I came across this thread because I wanted to learn more about the BI geofence utility. I am not entirely sure how it works and how to set it up. Since this is a very old thread, has there been any help with this and how this actually works?

I would much appreciate a reply as I would like to have this feature enabled, as it sounds great.

I have already purchased apps on both Android and IOS and they are showing up in BI. I need to know how to set it up, and how to get this automatically arm / disarm when I enter or leave the property.

Many thanks.

Ali

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I came across this thread because I wanted to learn more about the BI geofence utility. I am not entirely sure how it works and how to set it up. Since this is a very old thread, has there been any help with this and how this actually works?

I would much appreciate a reply as I would like to have this feature enabled, as it sounds great.

I have already purchased apps on both Android and IOS and they are showing up in BI. I need to know how to set it up, and how to get this automatically arm / disarm when I enter or leave the property.

Many thanks.

Ali
Welcome to the forum. First, read the help file in both the desktop app and mobile app. This will give you most of the info you need. Let us know if you need more help. There are several other threads that discuss geofencing as well.