Garage camera with relay to open/close garage door

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I am looking for a decent quality camera to be installed in the garage that has the relay or sorts to trigger garage door open/close.
There are some specific cameras on the market but they are all cloud based and don't work with my Dahua DVR not have rtsp stream for remove view in the tinyCam and the likes. I do have one but the image quality is so bad, that I only use it as a visual indication if the garage door is open or closed and it does not have night mode =(

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Consider the Amcrest IP2M-841, a re-branded Dahua. It is ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p, IR, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, record to micro SD card, wired or wireless and has alarm in/out ( like for you door), great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Comes with wall/ceiling mount, 1/4"-20 tripod mount female insert on bottom. Available in black, white or silver for under $40 !

As far as browsers, it works with Pale Moon (32bit), SeaMonkey, IE, Safari 11, Firefox 49.0 and Chrome with Amcrest Web View Extension.

I've installed 4 of the V2 versions and 3 of it's lower-res (720p) cousins in the last 4 years and all have functioned with no hiccups.

I currently use 3 of them with Blue Iris; 1 on front porch to look at deliveries, 1 in garage and 1 in sunroom to watch the dogs; two of the 3 is operating on Wi-Fi. I have also set one up with Tinycam Pro on a Sony smart TV (Android).

VERY hard to beat for $40, IMO

EDIT: It goes without saying, the cam's alarm output should interface to an outboard, higher current-capable relay to trigger the garage door circuit.

EDIT #2 of 4/1/21: V3 as pictured does NOT provide relay I/O nor jacks for an external mic and speaker. :(

IP2M-841W_front_rear.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
great price!
Anything for the outside? Cannot easily find the models that have alarm output onboard in the Dahua range

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
limited spec sheets. looks like another garage door cam with limited functionality

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a switch connected on the garage door connected to my NVR, just for notifications on open/close position.

I would like using a relay to open it, but I'm conscious about using a security system to open a door. Not just for the fear of a false alert opening it, but more if anything were to be network compromised.

Use caution when connecting a access device to the internet, there's plenty of articles here about network safety. I just don't want to worry about it.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here have used hardwired sensors and a button to the security panel for a few years now (20). One magnetic contact switch for the garage door down position and one wired contact switch for the garage door up position. I also have in place a contact switch buried in the exit door for the garage. I used to use a PIR sensor. It doesn't work well though with temperature changes in the garage. Wiring to the Leviton Omni Pro panel is a bit of a long run.

Testing a wireless cloudless approach to garage door functions. Modded a Sonoff Basic with Tasmota. Wired 2 contact switches (open / close positions for garage door), 1-wire temperature sensor and a relay connected to a digital garage door button. All of this talks MQTT and has it's own web interface which you can access locally or remotely plus it is integrated to Homeseer / Home Assistant software automation. This triggers TTS to Microsoft SAPI or Alexa, CCTV or whatever events you want to run.

Original GDO is a Liftmaster. The cloud myQ system was removed and no longer utilized.

GDO-Sonoff.jpg

Originally had a garage inside camera, driveway camera and mailbox to garage driveway camera. Outdoor driveway camera was an Optex combo camera / PIR. Not sure if it was ever sold in the US and mostly used in the EU.

Each automobile has a unique RFID tag which is utilized for announcements and or triggers and tells you which owned automobile (s) are in the garage or driveway.

BTW response times are similar to the wired to the alarm panel zone triggers.

You can get to the web gui above and Homeseer and Home Assistant locally or via a remote VPN connection.

Last edited:

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use the camera to determine which cars are present in the garage. I have an esp8266 to operate relays to open/close the garage doors. For position, I use z-wave tilt sensors on each garage door. The doors open when we arrive and close after we depart.

I’d keep the camera alarm outputs separate from the home automation.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use opengarage at the moment and it works well. But I would love to see the door on a video in the same app that controls the garage process

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Consider the Amcrest IP2M-841, a re-branded Dahua. It is ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p, IR, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, record to micro SD card, wired or wireless and has alarm in/out ( like for you door), great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Comes with wall/ceiling mount, 1/4"-20 tripod mount female insert on bottom. Available in black, white or silver for under $40 !

As far as browsers, it works with Pale Moon (32bit), SeaMonkey, IE, Safari 11, Firefox 49.0 and Chrome with Amcrest Web View Extension.

I've installed 4 of the V2 versions and 3 of it's lower-res (720p) cousins in the last 4 years and all have functioned with no hiccups.

I currently use 3 of them with Blue Iris; 1 on front porch to look at deliveries, 1 in garage and 1 in sunroom to watch the dogs; two of the 3 is operating on Wi-Fi. I have also set one up with Tinycam Pro on a Sony smart TV (Android).

VERY hard to beat for $40, IMO

EDIT: It goes without saying, the cam's alarm output should interface to an outboard, higher current-capable relay to trigger the garage door circuit.

View attachment 81925
Just received the camera.... Where is the alarm output on it? I cannot even see it on the picture you posted

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just received the camera.... Where is the alarm output on it? I cannot even see it on the picture you posted
I looked at one last week a client purchased and you're right...no alarm I/O and no external jacks for mic and speaker......it's a V3 (version 3) so they have dropped those features that were on V1 and V2. :confused:

Sorry to have mislead you but I was not aware of that myself until recently. Regarding the recommendation (it's still a great cam, just minus those items) I will edit my above post, future ones and will attempt to edit past ones as well (there's MANY).

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I looked at one last week a client purchased and you're right...no alarm I/O and no external jacks for mic and speaker......it's a V3 (version 3) so they have dropped those features that were on V1 and V2. :confused:

Sorry to have mislead you but I was not aware of that myself until recently. Regarding the recommendation (it's still a great cam, just minus those items) I will edit my above post, future ones and will attempt to edit past ones as well (there's MANY).
no probs. I am still glad I got it. Will use with my open garage and blank- can add video feed into it

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
wow! amazing picture quality for the price! And I am talking night time! Why did I buy all the expensive Dahua gear for the front? =)

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you may try the Imou Cube (Dahua sister products). It includes a digital in/out, in which you may add a contact closure. I am currently using an Imou Turret, added to my Dahua NVR through ONVIF (Imou is cloud based platform, but you may disable to include only the camera IP in your local network). My Imou only includes a siren and spot light, which I may activate from the DMSS app. In your case, it should be the same, to activate the contact within the app (open the garage)

jordan907

n3wb
Reaction score
we use NETCAM SC and their I/O Output to control a NO or NC endpoint. For external we mount them in a exterior housing to protect camera.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Personally here in the 1990's connected my garage door opener to the alarm panel utilized at that time. I ran a script that would automaticallly shut the garage door if the alarm was not disarmed in xx minutes.

One day wife wife drove in to the garage while on a conference call on her cell. She remained on the call and the garage door automatically closed.

I disabled the event from happening afterwards.

Today the alarm panel is connected to the garage door, sensors and button. I do not utilize automation these days because of the above. The automation is tied to Alexa and Home Assistant and Homeseer.

That said the automobiles have RFTags such that their presence is the garage / driveway is known to the automation system.

I would recommend not to by pass the built in safety features of the garage door opener and would not recommend automation of the garage door.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure of your exact situation with regards to the need to open/close the garage door remotely.

For better or for worse my simple cheap solution to be able to open/close the garage door remotely and see the garage door was simply to use the MyQ Smart Device since I already had a Chamberlain garage door opener PLUS install a cheap $50 Dahua cam. I have the MyQ integrated with my SmartThing Hub but the MyQ app works fine too. It gives me an alert when the garage door opens or closes and I can see who entered or exited the garage plus I like to verify the garage door is closed remotely just to get the warm fuzzies.

It was only $18 for the MyQ during an Amazon special so what the hell. They have a newer model and they also have a companion camera.

1661901927986.png

Last edited: