G4 Doorbell Pro. Anyone gonna test it?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
The home assistant integration is why I am considering one even at the crazy pricing. It exposes a media player that you can use home assistant to send any audio that you want to the device. I posted a video a while back of someone using the g4 doorbell to do this. He had facial rec running so personalized messages. He had it linked to a stream deck to send messages about deliveries or other guests.
Agreed and thats why I'm looking at picking one up too, integration potential.

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Agreed and thats why I'm looking at picking one up too, integration potential.
I went digging and the amcrest integration used in home assistant amcrest-python does have the ability to send audio files to the doorbell and other amcrest cameras but it hasn't been added into home assistant yet. not as good but something if someone smarter then me could figure that out.

cdoublejj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They do but it's ultimately pointless as you still need their protect nvr device so you would end up with two NVRs.
I've also got a UDM Pro and I have the G4 Doorbell working with BI. Looking forward to the Pro when it's released. The multiple RTSP streams works great for main and sub streams in BI.

I had used the RCA and Ezviz doorbells previously, but I found that they weren't very reliable, losing wifi or delayed phone alerts.

The Unifi doorbell has been very stable and reliable. It also has built-in AI which does people detection with great accuracy. Not cloud based, so I get immediate alerts on my phone.
I just wish you didn't need to run their NVR... Just to run that Doorbell its $299 for a NVR plus the doorbell right? I think the majority of the doorbells on the market don't even need an NVR.. But this IS a better doorbell..
Yes assuming you have a UI environment you can utilize the RTSP stream. A benefit of doing this is integration into a smart home platform, for example using Hoobs or Homebridge to have this integrate with HomeKit where you can set as a doorbell for notifications and other HomeKit functionality including scenes/automation triggered at that point. Also integrates with Apple TV for popups on screen.
i do not have an NVR i have my own more better NVR

cdoublejj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
previous comments state that unifi NVR is required to get RTSP to work. another said only during initial setup. i do not have unifi NVR i have a NON unifi NVR and that i prefer over unifi NVR. i also do not have a unifi Dream machine but, only the lowly non nvr USG.
IF i purchase a Unifi G4 Doorbell PRO i will not be able to receive rtsp form it my Blue Iris NVR. (i also do not physically have room for a Dream machine pro just enough for the little USG)

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Cloud Key Gen 2 Plus should be able to work with the G4 Pro, It has protect... I've been contemplating the G4 Pro and a Cloud Key Gen2 +. My whole network runs on Unifi with the exception of pfSense+ firewall appliance. But I've been hosting my Unifi controller on a Raspberry Pi.

cdoublejj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i host unifi off a windows server that i use to host home assistant and blue iris. You can see how they really lock you in. i could see geting a UDM if i can get short depth 3u rack not rack thingy majig but, even at 300 mbps and no IDS/IPS i can't see waht benefit there would be over the USB and the con of taking up 4 times the space?

i'm wondering if i can set it up on a freinds UDM pro then plug it on my old school unifi network once RTSP is enabled?

ryan99alero

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i'm seeing conflicting information. some claim to be getting rtsp fomr the G4 non pro or they are using the NVR and not stating so. i can't imagine the pro would be much different EDIT: ok people have the UDM with built in nvr

can the controller and wifi be disabled in the UDM? i host unifi off the home server and have a USG. maybe wait another 5 years for another product i guess. almost makes more sense to make an dang open source doorbell with PCB designs and 3d file for 3d printing.
I've setup several Ubiquiti Camera's for customers to stream over RTSP without buying any of their hardware NVR or Software NVR. If I recall you can hit the devices web page and set it up as a "Standalone" device and enable RTSP via a checkbox.

cdoublejj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've setup several Ubiquiti Camera's for customers to stream over RTSP without buying any of their hardware NVR or Software NVR. If I recall you can hit the devices web page and set it up as a "Standalone" device and enable RTSP via a checkbox.
this is awesome and makes a bit more sense just like how you can use thier APs as standalone, everyone has been saying you must have an NVR. Glad someone who has used the cameras has chimed in, might be worth buying/trying one of these.

anyone knoe when the pro leaves early access? waht is UI.com charging for a pro?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
this is awesome and makes a bit more sense just like how you can use thier APs as standalone, everyone has been saying you must have an NVR. Glad someone who has used the cameras has chimed in, might be worth buying/trying one of these.

anyone knoe when the pro leaves early access? waht is UI.com charging for a pro?
$299 for the pro but it only just came out in EA therefore knowing UI, it will be a while before release. Set your expectation to at least 6 months if not longer. Also remember that this EA unit may be substantially different both in looks and internal HW if/when it see's the light of day as a released product.

ryan99alero

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A 1/1.8" sensor is kind of big for a doorbell and would make it way too wide for most residential installations. I'm happy with 1/2.7" or 1/2.8" and even those are fairly large. High res, 4MP, isn't that important because the subject is so close to the camera. I just want one that has a doorbell button AND PoE capability. WiFi is crap and always will be. Heck, my VTO2202-F-2 give good enough captures at 720P. Just wish it had an output for the button push. I may get brave and have a look at the innards to see if I can pick off that switch closure, either physically or with current/voltage sensing.
I don't like WiFi anything when it comes to security to easy to jam. I currently have a DoorBird for my Doorbell and just purchased 2 different AXIS door stations to try a A8105-E and the A8207-VE Mk II doorbell Stations to try. All of these are POE. Attached back into BlueIris and HomeKit integrations. Same with all other security Camera's are tied into homekit as well. I also did the home-brew DeepStack BI integration with BlueIris. To simplify process when a DoorBell recognizes a face I have systems in place that unlocks the door as long as security system isn't in a lockdown mode.

cdoublejj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
make sure you shore up the 2x4s in the wall those door birds aren't small you don't want the 2x4s buckling like toothpicks from all that road hugging buick sized weight . OH MAN I"M GOOGLING THOSE AXIS UNITS but if an NVR ain't needed for the G4 Pro and it's wired data with poe, then damn it really takes the cake

EDIT: the axis units aren't small either
EDIT: ok the one axis is the same size as the g4 pro

Last edited:

ryan99alero

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
make sure you shore up the 2x4s in the wall those door birds aren't small you don't want the 2x4s buckling like toothpicks from all that road hugging buick sized weight . OH MAN I"M GOOGLING THOSE AXIS UNITS but if an NVR ain't needed for the G4 Pro and it's wired data with poe, then damn it really takes the cake

EDIT: the axis units aren't small either
The AXIS A8207-VE MkII is also a monster in size and has a ton of features like micro HDMI Out for a Display at the door, relays and etc... While Ubiquiti Does sell a POE Adapter for the G4 Pro its still Wifi only for Network. Those Axis units are pricey but you can do like I did. Search the world for used / discounted equipment and upgrade when you can. I purchased the 8207 online damaged for $50 because I checked the serial number and unit was under warranty. So I got a $1500 doorbell for $50.

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't like WiFi anything when it comes to security to easy to jam. I currently have a DoorBird for my Doorbell and just purchased 2 different AXIS door stations to try a A8105-E and the A8207-VE Mk II doorbell Stations to try. All of these are POE. Attached back into BlueIris and HomeKit integrations. Same with all other security Camera's are tied into homekit as well. I also did the home-brew DeepStack BI integration with BlueIris. To simplify process when a DoorBell recognizes a face I have systems in place that unlocks the door as long as security system isn't in a lockdown mode.
We're getting a doorbird installed next week, definitely going to have to have a play with facial recognition unlocking!

cdoublejj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i think i'd rather consider dealing with the shitty wifi, plus if i buy one i could buy a jammer and post all over the net untill UI takes notice and makes the next revision ethernet (hopefully) why can't MFers just make wired. yeah i'd look at getting the Axis but, dam nthe cameras ares nice on the pro plus you can keep an eye on the packages and pets waiting by the door. someone ought to buy the Pro install it on a 6" conrete basment door wall and piss moan in a review.

ALSO i haven't seen anyone's basis for it's wiffi only deal other than it looks to ve the same exact dongle/poe adapter for G4 cameras as well.

EDIT: you know maybe we should have a 3d modeling contest to design a case for a 3d printable pi powered open source door bell.

ryan99alero

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I personally really like the whole Ubiquiti lineup for whom and what its designed for. In reference to the irritation that from a high level view it requires you to use their solutions or that its closed loop like Apple. There are vendor out there like Hikvision that sell products that are agnostic. Hikvision has multiple doorbell's for those that want an affordable option like Ubiquiti that doesn't have any of the required integrations.

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
  • The G4 Doorbell Pro PoE Adapter (UACC Adapter DBPOE) is a two-meter-long power accessory that connects the G4 Doorbell Pro to a 802.3af PoE source instead of existing electrical wiring. This adapter also provides Gigabit Ethernet connectivity to optimize the G4 Doorbell Pro's responsiveness and performance.
    Features:
    • Connects the G4 Doorbell Pro to a 802.3af PoE source
    • Gigabit Ethernet connectivity
    • Two-meter USB-C Cable length (6.5 ft)
Gigabit Ethernet connectivity sounds like a wired connection to me. What am I missing?

The only problem I see is the 6.5 ft length. Not everyone has lives in a shoe box. I'm pretty sure my ceilings are going to be too high for that and I'm not about to drill a hole straight through the wall.

Last edited:

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
i think i'd rather consider dealing with the shitty wifi, plus if i buy one i could buy a jammer and post all over the net untill UI takes notice and makes the next revision ethernet (hopefully) why can't MFers just make wired. yeah i'd look at getting the Axis but, dam nthe cameras ares nice on the pro plus you can keep an eye on the packages and pets waiting by the door. someone ought to buy the Pro install it on a 6" conrete basment door wall and piss moan in a review.

ALSO i haven't seen anyone's basis for it's wiffi only deal other than it looks to ve the same exact dongle/poe adapter for G4 cameras as well.

EDIT: you know maybe we should have a 3d modeling contest to design a case for a 3d printable pi powered open source door bell.
I've spent hours looking online at ESP and RPI DIY ideas and I don't like any of them.

cdoublejj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I personally really like the whole Ubiquiti lineup for whom and what its designed for. In reference to the irritation that from a high level view it requires you to use their solutions or that its closed loop like Apple. There are vendor out there like Hikvision that sell products that are agnostic. Hikvision has multiple doorbell's for those that want an affordable option like Ubiquiti that doesn't have any of the required integrations.
you're high on drugs! i have the hikvision doorbell it's broken piece of crap with interal glare thats make night viewing totally broken. it cant even attempt to hold a candle to the G4 pro.

• The G4 Doorbell Pro PoE Adapter (UACC Adapter DBPOE) is a two-meter-long power accessory that connects the G4 Doorbell Pro to a 802.3af PoE source instead of existing electrical wiring. This adapter also provides Gigabit Ethernet connectivity to optimize the G4 Doorbell Pro's responsiveness and performance.
    Features:
    • Connects the G4 Doorbell Pro to a 802.3af PoE source
    • Gigabit Ethernet connectivity
    • Two-meter USB-C Cable length (6.5 ft)
Gigabit Ethernet connectivity sounds like a wired connection to me. What am I missing?

The only problem I see is the 6.5 ft length. Not everyone has lives in a shoe box. I'm pretty sure my ceilings are going to be too high for that and I'm not about to drill a hole straight through the wall.

i justt saw pro sell on ebay for for like $700+ once they go live for $300 if i can snag one i'll totally try it out and report back! sounds like it has REAL PoE and and be setup for RTSP via the ubiq phone app. if this is true i'm buying like 4 of them.