G4 Doorbell Pro. Anyone gonna test it?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
They do but it's ultimately pointless as you still need their protect nvr device so you would end up with two NVRs.
If it was compatible with Blueiris, I could just record it there.
I already have the unifi app for several other Ubiquity systems we have built. Love the Wifi, don't care for the preparatory protocol.

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was under the impression their cameras aren't compatible with BI..

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
They do but it's ultimately pointless as you still need their protect nvr device so you would end up with two NVRs.
I don't see anywhere in the user / technical manual that indicates this device is ONVIF compliant nor supports RTSP - Link?!?! :thumbdown: In 2022, Ubiquiti continues to fail to offer H.264+, H.265, H.265+ compression. They don't offer any real specifications about the lens size, lux rating, WDR, or shutter speed. :facepalm:

The operating range of -10 to 40º C (14 to 104º F) is just brutal . . . :banghead:

Regardless of the above this door bell offers some of the best in class features yet to appear in the market. Dual camera's one for primary and another for the parcel pick up area - Incredible! :thumb: A little spot light, programmable display, true POE, 24 VDC, and USB-C - Outstanding!

Really wish this device had some colored skins besides coming in jet black . . . :puke:

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't see anywhere in the user / technical manual that indicates this device is ONVIF compliant nor supports RTSP - Link?!?! :thumbdown: In 2022, Ubiquiti continues to fail to offer H.264+, H.265, H.265+ compression. They don't offer any real specifications about the lens size, lux rating, WDR, or shutter speed. :facepalm:

The operating range of -10 to 40º C (14 to 104º F) is just brutal . . . :banghead:

Regardless of the above this door bell offers some of the best in class features yet to appear in the market. Dual camera's one for primary and another for the parcel pick up area - Incredible! :thumb: A little spot light, programmable display, true POE, 24 VDC, and USB-C - Outstanding!

Really wish this device had some colored skins besides coming in jet black . . . :puke:
It doesn't support them directly, RTSP is produced by their protect product. . Being said you need protect to use it, also using blue iris is pretty dumb as you would just end up with two nvrs.

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As I have a UDM Pro already it has the NVR built in. I have the non pro version and some other cameras I expose over rtsp to my surveilance systems with no issues. Wish it could be in standalone, but it works well since I have the NVR there anyways. Btw they usually have three streams of different size

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've also got a UDM Pro and I have the G4 Doorbell working with BI. Looking forward to the Pro when it's released. The multiple RTSP streams works great for main and sub streams in BI.

I had used the RCA and Ezviz doorbells previously, but I found that they weren't very reliable, losing wifi or delayed phone alerts.

The Unifi doorbell has been very stable and reliable. It also has built-in AI which does people detection with great accuracy. Not cloud based, so I get immediate alerts on my phone.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Gaunlet thrown down to Dahua / Hik.

Was about time someone forced change in the dorr bell market from low quality products to something on a par with main camera systems.

Don't know what sensor they're using but Dahua / Hik need to get a main camera out there on a 1/1.8" so we can have crystal clear full colour at night at least for the person.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A 1/1.8" sensor is kind of big for a doorbell and would make it way too wide for most residential installations. I'm happy with 1/2.7" or 1/2.8" and even those are fairly large. High res, 4MP, isn't that important because the subject is so close to the camera. I just want one that has a doorbell button AND PoE capability. WiFi is crap and always will be. Heck, my VTO2202-F-2 give good enough captures at 720P. Just wish it had an output for the button push. I may get brave and have a look at the innards to see if I can pick off that switch closure, either physically or with current/voltage sensing.

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just wish you didn't need to run their NVR... Just to run that Doorbell its $299 for a NVR plus the doorbell right? I think the majority of the doorbells on the market don't even need an NVR.. But this IS a better doorbell..

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
At the end of the day more competition in the door bell realm is a win for the consumer. Sadly, Ubiquiti's management is holding back their R&D and their market share by the fact they refuse to adopt and follow industry standards of ONVIF / local RTSP access! :facepalm:

You've got to be 10 kinds of stupid to cut yourself off from 99% of the market place! :banghead:

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
At the end of the day more competition in the door bell realm is a win for the consumer. Sadly, Ubiquiti's management is holding back their R&D and their market share by the fact they refuse to adopt and follow industry standards of ONVIF / local RTSP access! :facepalm:

You've got to be 10 kinds of stupid to cut yourself off from 99% of the market place! :banghead:
I agree competition is good for innovation.. I think Ubiquiti is trying to be like Apple with their hardware. If they opened up these cameras with Onvif and RTSP then they would sell less NVR's but a lot more cameras!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
A 1/1.8" sensor is kind of big for a doorbell and would make it way too wide for most residential installations. I'm happy with 1/2.7" or 1/2.8" and even those are fairly large. High res, 4MP, isn't that important because the subject is so close to the camera. I just want one that has a doorbell button AND PoE capability. WiFi is crap and always will be. Heck, my VTO2202-F-2 give good enough captures at 720P. Just wish it had an output for the button push. I may get brave and have a look at the innards to see if I can pick off that switch closure, either physically or with current/voltage sensing.
Yeah I just want to see something that's good in low light in full colour. Maybe a 2.7K on a slightly smaller sensor? Who knows.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree competition is good for innovation.. I think Ubiquiti is trying to be like Apple with their hardware. If they opened up these cameras with Onvif and RTSP then they would sell less NVR's but a lot more cameras!
^

This, I 100% agree it seems they are emulating Apple in a closed wall garden.

Offering more features and options has never hurt a company that offered the same in software / hardware. Less anyone ever forget it was Crapple that led the charge in pushing stupid to a whole new level as it relates to cell / computers.

Where basic hardware and consumables could not be upgraded and replaced - think:

Battery, memory, hard drive, video, CPU.

The rest of the iSheep have simply just followed this idiotic approach and it’s now the trend like Cloud First in almost all products?!?!

cdoublejj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i'm seeing conflicting information. some claim to be getting rtsp fomr the G4 non pro or they are using the NVR and not stating so. i can't imagine the pro would be much different EDIT: ok people have the UDM with built in nvr

can the controller and wifi be disabled in the UDM? i host unifi off the home server and have a USG. maybe wait another 5 years for another product i guess. almost makes more sense to make an dang open source doorbell with PCB designs and 3d file for 3d printing.

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
i'm seeing conflicting information. some claim to be getting rtsp fomr the G4 non pro or they are using the NVR and not stating so. i can't imagine the pro would be much different EDIT: ok people have the UDM with built in nvr
Yes assuming you have a UI environment you can utilize the RTSP stream. A benefit of doing this is integration into a smart home platform, for example using Hoobs or Homebridge to have this integrate with HomeKit where you can set as a doorbell for notifications and other HomeKit functionality including scenes/automation triggered at that point. Also integrates with Apple TV for popups on screen.

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes assuming you have a UI environment you can utilize the RTSP stream. A benefit of doing this is integration into a smart home platform, for example using Hoobs or Homebridge to have this integrate with HomeKit where you can set as a doorbell for notifications and other HomeKit functionality including scenes/automation triggered at that point. Also integrates with Apple TV for popups on screen.
The home assistant integration is why I am considering one even at the crazy pricing. It exposes a media player that you can use home assistant to send any audio that you want to the device. I posted a video a while back of someone using the g4 doorbell to do this. He had facial rec running so personalized messages. He had it linked to a stream deck to send messages about deliveries or other guests.