FW 5.2.0 RTSP doesn't work

deltix

n3wb
Reaction score
I have few cameras. Some of them came with 5.2.0, some of them with 5.1.2 and 5.1.6. I upgraded all to 5.2.0 just to find out that RTSP (554) doesn't work anymore. No video. I still have one left on 5.1.6 and that one is OK. They are all US models, purchased from authorized distributor. I used 5.2.0 firmware form Hikvision USA web site.

No stream using VLC, no stream using PCNVR 2.3.0 web server when trying to view cameras with 5.2.0. Camera with 5.1.6 works just fine. Everything else seems to be OK.

VLC is connecting and showing that is streaming, but no video.

Using client and streaming on port 8000 is OK.

Did something change between 5.1.6 and 5.2.0 that caused this? Do I need to configure something differently to accommodate eventual change?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...it should work just fine...make sure you are using the correct user name and password...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Check out the cameras with the very good Windows open-source tool 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net
The 'Live video' page uses the RTSP URI from the ONVIF dialogues, and is seen at the bottom of the page, to be confirmed when pasted into such as VLC.

deltix

n3wb
Reaction score
Already done, no problems there. The same URI works with 5.1.6 but not with 5.2.0. Again, if we can just focus on PCNVR web server that should be working almost out of the box. Not even web server can pull stream out of 5.2.0, but it plays 5.1.6 just fine. Everything running on the same computer, firewall disabled just in case. I will do another setup, different computer, verify that everything works with 5.1.6 and then upgrade to 5.2.0. If it breaks it then it's for sure FW. I used before Hikvision cameras with Milestone Xprotect and no problems, but this is first time I'm using PCNVR. I'm really not interested in streaming with VLC, I was just using it to troubleshoot problem that I have with PCNVR web server. However, problem appears to be the same.

deltix

n3wb
Reaction score
It looks like problem is not with firmware after all. I narrowed down problem to stream media server. The reason why I couldn't connect directly to camera is becuase I was utilizing both streams already. Main stream for recording and sub-stream for viewing/client. That makes sense. VLC had no available stream to connect to.

Now other problem is stream media server. I'm working on that now to see if something will make sense.

riri7707

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Deltix,
I'm not sure your conclusion is correct.
This is not because you have only 2 stream available with Hikvison cams, that you cannot have many users at same time per stream.
So you can use your main Stream for recording + multi-users live view at same time.
Personnaly, I never use the 2nd stream
I do not have the exact limitation values per stream in my mind, but for sure more than 5 at same time.
Your issue is more to provide the right string to VLC to works.

And as "alastairstevenson" wrote, use "Onvif device manager" who will display the right RTSP sentence, automaticly.
Just copy it and paste it Under VLC.
Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator: