Front door ID camera IPC-HDBW4231F?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, you already have it on the junction box, not much else to do there.
I tested a Dahua dashcam once, that the focus was off just tick, it took very little movement of the lens to correct it.
Good luck.

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to install a camera at the front door at 5' height. I noticed on bright days when a person walks on the porch, the face gets dark. I turned on WDR and that seems to help if the person is moving slowly. I noticed that the camera attempts to locate the dark spot by using a bright circle that follows the person's face. If the person is moving slow enough the circle will brighten the face, if the person is moving fast, the circle doesn't seem to keep up. Does anyone have any additional suggestions for camera settings to help keep the face bright when the person is moving quickly? Video and camera setting screenshot attached.

Attachments

Last edited:

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to install a camera at the front door at 5' height. I noticed on bright days when a person walks on the porch, the face gets dark. I turned on WDR and that seems to help if the person is moving slowly. I noticed that the camera attempts to locate the dark spot by using a bright circle that follows the person's face. If the person is moving slow enough the circle will brighten the face, if the person is moving fast, the circle doesn't seem to keep up. Does anyone have any additional suggestions for camera settings to help keep the face bright when the person is moving quickly? Video and camera setting screenshot attached.
Have you tried setting the exposure to shutter priority and set the value to 0 - 5? I'm not sure if this will help with WDR, but I've seen a benefit with helping to catch a good snapshot of a person moving quickly by changing this setting (I have all of my cameras set this way in the day profile). I also have one of my cameras set to use BLC because people's faces were too dark to ID since the background was too bright. It will likely be a trade off between a good ID while on the sidewalk or a good ID on the porch.

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you tried setting the exposure to shutter priority and set the value to 0 - 5? I'm not sure if this will help with WDR, but I've seen a benefit with helping to catch a good snapshot of a person moving quickly by changing this setting (I have all of my cameras set this way in the day profile). I also have one of my cameras set to use BLC because people's faces were too dark to ID since the background was too bright. It will likely be a trade off between a good ID while on the sidewalk or a good ID on the porch.
I had not tried changing the exposure yet. I will try that out and see what happens, thanks for the tip. I did just test changing from WDR to BLC and with BLC the front does look brighter but as you mention the background gets washed out a bit. I'll have to test that out later as well. Out of curiosity, do you change your shutter speed on the night profile or just leave that auto?

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had not tried changing the exposure yet. I will try that out and see what happens, thanks for the tip. I did just test changing from WDR to BLC and with BLC the front does look brighter but as you mention the background gets washed out a bit. I'll have to test that out later as well. Out of curiosity, do you change your shutter speed on the night profile or just leave that auto?
I set my night profile differently. I normally set the shutter to 1/30 as it lets more light in and produces a better image IMO.

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wanted to follow up and thank you again for your help. The shutter priority setting plus BLC seems to be a great combination for capturing a snapshot of a face on my porch. As you noted, BLC is not as good if the person is further out in the light but the purpose of this camera is for a good ID shot if a person is close up.

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wanted to follow up and thank you again for your help. The shutter priority setting plus BLC seems to be a great combination for capturing a snapshot of a face on my porch. As you noted, BLC is not as good if the person is further out in the light but the purpose of this camera is for a good ID shot if a person is close up.
That is awesome news, I'm glad to hear that you're getting better images now. I have to give credit to @bigredfish as well as others here that helped me tune my cameras with the settings that you are using now.