Free Amcrest Cameras

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I follow Dahua, Hikvision, Lorex, Amcrest and a bunch of other camera companies on Facebook. Amcrest posted on their official Facebook yesterday that you can sign up and test one of their cameras, so I signed up and got the below email. I'm almost positive this is legit, I will try it let you guys know. I've never had a Wifi camera before and all of mine are wired so this will be fun to play with. If you are interested their email is producttesting@amcrest.com

Amcrest.PNG

Screenshot 2020-01-31 at 8.48.48 PM (473x800).jpg

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like they are trying to manipulate amazons search engine so that their camera will rise to the top when "wifi indoor camera" is searched. Shady and probably against amazon policy.

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Okay, I'm in since I was just comparing this same model today to their others with POE and tracking.
I have a similar 1080p model that has been working great for quite a while.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Absolutely right, lol :rofl: but these Amcrest indoor PTZ cameras are top-notch. I recommend this a lot as a baby-monitor

Looks like they are trying to manipulate amazons search engine so that their camera will rise to the top when "wifi indoor camera" is searched. Shady and probably against amazon policy.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm a bit wary of send us your paypal email address and we'll refund the money. Unless you can be 100% this is genuinely Amcrest from their website and support then I would neither be making payment to them or sending my Paypal email address. Both sound like potential disasters to me if it turns out it isn't really Amcrest. I'm sure if it is genuine, the offer will be on their own web page (googled not linked from facebook!).

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Better to contact Amcrest Marketing and see if they can validate this offer

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm a bit wary of send us your paypal email address and we'll refund the money. Unless you can be 100% this is genuinely Amcrest from their website and support then I would neither be making payment to them or sending my Paypal email address. Both sound like potential disasters to me if it turns out it isn't really Amcrest. I'm sure if it is genuine, the offer will be on their own web page (googled not linked from facebook!).
Nobody can take money from your account if they know your PayPal email address. That's not how it works. They can deposit money, though. Even then, you have to approve the deposit.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
If only these companies can warn consumers about poor low light performance in these higher MP cameras as a little disclaimer ("Works best in conjunction with a floodlight"), lol

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Nobody can take money from your account if they know your PayPal email address. That's not how it works. They can deposit money, though. Even then, you have to approve the deposit.
They can if they hack your password. Giving them a valid email address takes them 50% there. Also there are lists of emails vs known passwords for sale on the internet as a result of previous breaches of many websites so if you've ever used the same password elsewhere, again beware. Yet again, associating the email address with a Paypal account advances their knowledge.

This probably is a genuine offer. However, I'd contact Amcrest Support directly as Arjun says to establish this.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
They can if they hack your password. Giving them a valid email address takes them 50% there. Also there are lists of emails vs known passwords for sale on the internet as a result of previous breaches of many websites so if you've ever used the same password elsewhere, again beware. Yet again, associating the email address with a Paypal account advances their knowledge.

This probably is a genuine offer. However, I'd contact Amcrest Support directly as Arjun says to establish this.
Just set up 2-step verification for your account. Problem solved. If they have your password, they still can't get in.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Just set up 2-step verification for your account. Problem solved. If they have your password, they still can't get in.
2 step has been compromised, I believe it was reported on this forum some time ago. I believe the most sensible solution is simply to verify this is an Amcrest offer. If it is they will confirm it and worries over. If it isn't then lucky escape. I emailed Amcrest support to ask so should have an answer soon.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m sure that’s been fixed by now. Agree that you can trust everything today. 2FA is an extra layer that will keep the inexperienced script kiddies away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
2 step has been compromised, I believe it was reported on this forum some time ago. I believe the most sensible solution is simply to verify this is an Amcrest offer. If it is they will confirm it and worries over. If it isn't then lucky escape. I emailed Amcrest support to ask so should have an answer soon.
If you are that concerned about account compromise they could do that by simply using your email address without you providing it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

They cannot guess your password with paypal. It will lock the account out after a few tries. There are much easier ways of getting paypal addresses than targeting amcrest users.
If they have a list of emails with known passwords, they can simply test them. They dont need you.