focusing on the lens - Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret, and seems to be focusing on the lens.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The spots are still in the same place though (should have moved with the moving reflections) and I see what looks like the lens ring, so I am going for a compromised seal. That or something else is reflecting it.

As I said before now move the camera say 15 degrees or so and see if the spots are in the same spot - if they are then it is the seal or micro cuts on the glass.

Or it could be it looks like a camera IR off to the left and maybe it is sending IR into the lens and causing the issues?

If you turn the IR off on this camera does it go away? If so, then you know it is IR bleed or reflection.
I put black tape around the camer and it did not help, I will try to tilt like you said.
how do you stop IR bounce bleed?

1665459303452.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If it is still there in the same place when you tilt the camera and disappears when you turn the infrared off then you need to replace the seal or try non clear silicone.

I don't think tape around the camera can fix it or see if it is bleed.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If it is still there in the same place when you tilt the camera and disappears when you turn the infrared off then you need to replace the seal or try non clear silicone.

I don't think tape around the camera can fix it or see if it is bleed.
I turned off the IR, there is a full moon out tomight thats why it looks light out. The light that you see in back of the boat is acturally two other Camera with the IR on. the big pole to the right in front of the boat is a PZT Camera

1665459710479.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Spots are gone so you know it is bleed or IR bounce.

If you turn IR on and move camera and the spots are in same place then it is IR bleed from a failing seal.

If your turn IR on and move camera and the spots move ,then it is IR reflection.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

If you turn IR on and move camera and the spots are in same place then it is IR bleed from a failing seal.

If your turn IR on and move camera and the spots move ,then it is IR reflection.
Ok so I moved the cameras direction and it is still there.
I will take it apart and see what the seal looks like?

1665460373419.png

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Is there a separate seal for the IR? or is it the same as the large camera seal?
Thanks

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't remember how the 5442s are inside. Is there a black rubber ring around the lens?

The seal around the body of the cam is different and won't affect that.

ETA: Oops... was thinking 5442. I see that you said 5231. I have a dead one here. I'll look.

There is a foam ring around the lens. Make sure that's there. Might try to pull it forward a little. The IR is on a separate board below and looks like it's pretty well isolated from the lens. Check that looks right and hasn't come loose or something.

Last edited:

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Time to upgrade.....Now you can try a 5442 ZE....turret....
I would not purchase another Dahua camera. I had nothing but trouble with them. the leak over time, and I had a few die. as needed I have been switching to a different brand which has better IR night vision and is the clearest video I have seen yet of any camera. both day and night. however, till I fully switch them all out, I am still dealing with Dahua camera problems. How can a camera under a soffit with no direct rain hitting it have water inside, I'll never know?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
The dry silicon bag expired and sometimes has wet air inside, when meet cold will have condensation, also the seal ring sometimes going bad after years using.
And condensation never can burn a camera, maybe your RJ45 port not protect well and burn the camera. We have lots of customers still use the 2016 IPC-HDW5231R-Z, and still working great. By the way, You use the latest new camera to compare to the 4-5 years old cams, that is not right and fair.

Last edited:

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The dry silicon bag expired and sometimes has wet air inside, when meet cold will have condensation, also the seal ring sometimes going bad after years using.
And condensation never can burn a camera, maybe your RJ45 port not protect well and burn the camera. We have lots of customers still use the 2016 IPC-HDW5231R-Z, and still working great. By the way, You use the latest new camera to compare to the 4-5 years old cams, that is not fair.
Andy, talking about no far, Ok here's the deal:

I had
two of these go bad. IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
two of there are now going bad. IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E
and I had one of these go bad. a IPC-T3241T-ZAS 2MP

Also when I first ordered from you I had some issues:
You shipped me some used cameras which one was DOA and one was scratched and not packaged right. the one that was scratched you asked me to send it to someone in Canada (see below conversation).

Andy:
Hey buddy, thanks for your pics, sorry for the trouble, seems the scratches happen during the shipment, we never sell any used cams out for new orders. you can check the cable easily, if it's dirty, then surely used. Next time i do some discount for you, ok?
Could you help me ship these 2 to Canada
Please help me clean the camera before shipping OK? For the cams maybe dirty by our warehouse guy, but that is not be a problem now. You just put your address on it, use Andy Wang as the sender.

OH, we ship to Canada, so maybe you help me ship?

me:
(I asked why is it going to Canada?)
Question, why would you want me to send a damages camer to someone in Canada in the first place?

Andy:
I think i better get them back the Canadian guy not come to me,
you are a guy need perfect! No problem, i will send you top brand new ones. lol.

Sorry, but you said not fair. I think the above was not fair.

here is a pic of thenew / used cameras condition.

1665478357429.png

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I just offered you solutions when you meet problems, send to Canada, because that client ask me for refurbished with scratches also ok. I am not selling it as new things.
Those scractches was bad quality control by the factory, and I told to replace for you.
Cams also need maintainence every year, its exposed to the rain/dust/hot/cold, as you said troubles i am sorry for that, but you always can contact us for help anytime, all life support when you still use our device.
By the way, right now we have very strict inspecting for all cams before ship out. DOA when open box i think can control at 0.0001, 1000pcs 1 fail.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just offered you solutions when you meet problems, send to Canada, because that client ask me for refurbished with scratches also ok. I am not selling it as new things.
Those scractches was bad quality control by the factory, and I told to replace for you.
Cams also need maintainence every year, its exposed to the rain/dust/hot/cold, as you said troubles i am sorry for that, but you always can contact us for help anytime, all life support when you still use our device.
By the way, right now we have very strict inspecting for all cams before ship out. DOA when open box i think can control at 0.0001, 1000pcs 1 fail.
I'm not going to go back and forth on this, as I know you have been on this forum for a long time. but your comment does not make any sense.
Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Andy's comment made sense.

According to you, a couple years ago you bought cameras from him but it was clear they were used (if bought thru Amazon or Ali that is beyond Andy's control or any vendor and they will simply take a return and resell as new unless the returner marked it as defective - I have bought many items (not from Andy) that were clearly returns that i would exchange).

So you emailed Andy about this and he offered to replace them for you and you send the used ones to someone in Canada instead of back to Andy - did you take him up on this offer or did you keep the used ones?

Andy maintains a refurbished list of returned cameras that many of us are willing to purchase from and we get great deals on great cameras that may or may not have cosmetic damage, so him asking you to send to someone in Canada instead of returning to him makes sense from a business standpoint as it would be cheaper to send to Canada than back to Hong Kong.

Before he published the refurbished list, many us would tell Andy that if XXXX camera was ever returned we would be interested in it.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Andy's comment made sense.

According to you, a couple years ago you bought cameras from him but it was clear they were used (if bought thru Amazon or Ali that is beyond Andy's control or any vendor and they will simply take a return and resell as new unless the returner marked it as defective - I have bought many items (not from Andy) that were clearly returns that i would exchange).

So you emailed Andy about this and he offered to replace them for you and you send the used ones to someone in Canada instead of back to Andy - did you take him up on this offer or did you keep the used ones?

Andy maintains a refurbished list of returned cameras that many of us are willing to purchase from and we get great deals on great cameras that may or may not have cosmetic damage, so him asking you to send to someone in Canada instead of returning to him makes sense from a business standpoint as it would be cheaper to send to Canada than back to Hong Kong.

Before he published the refurbished list, many us would tell Andy that if XXXX camera was ever returned we would be interested in it.
I disagree. it is what it is, you can think what you may, but the fact is that Andy wanted me to clean it up and make it look like new and send it to a buyer, he did not say it was used, he did not say it was refurbished he did not say the buyer wanted a used or refurbished camera, he blamed it on shipping, but is was wrapped good, and the damage was from the previous usage. not sure where you got it was refurbished from, he never said it was refurbished, and it was sold as new. it was only after I asked (why is it going to Canada?) that Andy decided that he better get them back.

it was not my intention to start a controversy on here. just responded to Andys coment.
Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe you haven't bought anything from Amazon that was fulfilled by a 3rd party, but many items I have purchased from Amazon that is actually thru a 3rd party seller on Amazon, whether that be headphones, batteries, light bulbs, etc. have had a little note in the package telling me if I am not satisfied to reach out to them directly instead of returning to Amazon because they get dinged for too many returns.

In some instances they let me keep the item that was clearly a return that Amazon shipped out as NEW and they sent me another one, and sometimes they have me send it somewhere else. I could care less where I sent it to as long as they took care of me.

Maybe it was a language barrier/translation issue in your past purchase with Andy, but what I explained is clearly his business model now with refurbished units and is a successful operation, but regardless, you had an issue and he offered to send you new replacements, what difference does it make where he had you send the return?

And the question is still unanswered, did you accept his offer to have replacements sent, or did you keep the items that were damaged?

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I've seen a similar effect with a 5231Z-12 used fir LPR. unfortunately I dont have a pic. But had the IR ring very similar to that
Discovered that my buddy had moved the camera about 1/2" back into the recess of the birdhouse and the IR was reflecting off the edges of the opening, It doesnt take much.
IMG_0642.JPG

Has that camera, I assume under soffit, been moved a smidge? Can you manually bring it out from the soffit 6 inches just to test for a minute?