FI9821WV2 "missing" IP?

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I have 2 9821w V2 cameras. Both work. I can see them on my home network via a web browser, when out of the house I can see them on my Foscam app or my Live Cam app or my Control4 app. Blue Iris sees them.

That said, I've used 4 different IP Scan tools - one of them just does not want to show up in my IP Scans. Its at .104. The other is at .106 and that shows up.

I believe this may be causing an issue I have - where I am trying to feed one via RSTP to my IP Video Matrix so I can see the cameras on my TVs. The one (.104) that is not visible via network scans is not showing up on RSTP yet the other one does flawlessly.

All the apps are configured to work off .104. I have powered it down. I've done a factory reset.

I am at a loss - why will it not show up on a network IP Scan? I am assuming when I can fix that, the RSTP may resolve itself on its own.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe your router or the device you are running the scanners on has blacklisted the camera or imposed a firewall rule - presumably the camera is connected via WiFi.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe your router or the device you are running the scanners on has blacklisted the camera or imposed a firewall rule - presumably the camera is connected via WiFi.
I am running the IP Scanner on a Mac, a PC and my iPhone. Different apps on different hardware - all have the same issue. Why would the router automatically black list something? If so I'd see that in my router settings?

Just curious as to why the apps work, the camera works but the IP is blocked and the RTSP stream will not work (but it works fine with the other same model Foscam).

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so it was an unlikely possible cause.
Some routers inspect the traffic and might mistake it for a bot or some sort of compromise and block it as a protective measure.
But as you say - the logs would tell all if that was the case.
The camera also has IP blacklist facilities.

It sounds like the camera is the common factor. Presumably the firmware is the same on both?
A crude approach that would involve a bit of work might be a factory reset and reconfigure.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, so it was an unlikely possible cause.
Some routers inspect the traffic and might mistake it for a bot or some sort of compromise and block it as a protective measure.
But as you say - the logs would tell all if that was the case.

It sounds like the camera is the common factor. Presumably the firmware is the same on both?
A crude approach that would involve a bit of work might be a factory reset and reconfigure.
firmware is 2.11.2.8 on the working one v 2.11.1.10 on the odd one. That said, the odd working one could be a lower firmware because I did do a factory reset the other night and maybe at some point I updated the firmware. I guess I'll try a firmware update on it - since the factory reset did not work.

I was thinking to move it from .104 to .107 or something else to see if that made a change. I'll look into my router logs too to see if I see anything odd in there. Would those blocks by the router allow me to see the cameras on the apps outside the house yet block the RSTP feature?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you check the camera's own whitelist/blacklist just to be sure there isn't anything remaining from a forgotten old experiment?
If your router has network threat protection as a built-in feature, it will be very obvious when you inspect the logs.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you check the camera's own whitelist/blacklist just to be sure there isn't anything remaining from a forgotten old experiment?
If your router has network threat protection as a built-in feature, it will be very obvious when you inspect the logs.
So firmware update "helped". I can now see it on the IP Scan applications. But trying to reach the camera via the web browser is now near impossible using my local IP or the DDNS address Foscam provides. Prior to the updates getting access via web browser was easy. Also before I did the firmware update I did look for a blacklist or something and nothing stood out.

I guess this is just what happens with a $60 camera.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
According to the user manual, there is a specific section in the network configuration that allows you to specify addresses allowed to access, and addresses that will be blocked.
But it sounds like it's unlikely to be the cause of the problem as a setting there would create a complete block rather than variable access.

Do you have any opportunity to run a temporary LAN cable instead of using the WiFi access, to see what difference that makes?
Be aware if you do that the MAC address therefore the IP address may change on a wired connection.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
According to the user manual, there is a specific section in the network configuration that allows you to specify addresses allowed to access, and addresses that will be blocked.
But it sounds like it's unlikely to be the cause of the problem as a setting there would create a complete block rather than variable access.

Do you have any opportunity to run a temporary LAN cable instead of using the WiFi access, to see what difference that makes?
Be aware if you do that the MAC address therefore the IP address may change on a wired connection.
I could run a cable direct. Not where its located but I can move it to another room and run a direct cable to it. After doing a factory reset, I restarted it, updated the firmware and it held a noticable IP address for 2-3 days but back to square 1. The camera works, I can see it on apps inside my home network and outside my home network. But I cannot find the camera on an IP Scan, I am now having issues pulling up the camera locally on my network via web interface to make updates, etc.

I guess this is what you get when you pay for a cheap $50 "toy"?