Fed up with Nest Hello ($$!)

Reaction score
tl;dr: I bought an Amcrest AD110 and was going to replace the Nest Hello. Is the Amcrest doorbell good enough to stand up to Nest doorbell? What are the pros and cons of their stability and video quality?

A little background:
I finally "upgraded" to the new Nest Aware and realized that I am paying more for less. The history in the Nest video scrub was full of holes. Very frustrating! I should have known that would be the case, but I thought that SOME video would be local. So, I did the trial for Nest Aware "Plus".
Now I need to decide what to do before mid-January when they charge me $120.
I use Blue Iris to record all of my cameras. But I like the Nest app's video scrub. Also the object/motion/sound/person/package, and especially facial recognition. So, I am looking to replace all of that without being ripped off by Google.
I am going to use DIY AI (probably Deepstack) and Home Assitant to handle the detection and notification features I will be losing. So, those features are not things I am worried about being different between the cameras.
Before I unbox the Amcrest I want to know whether or not its video and streaming features are good enough to replace the Nest (which has phenomenal video). I have to publically host my Nest stream in order to get it into any surveillance system. So, that is obviously not ideal! But I have come to accept that.
Also, is the Amcrest connection stable? (I have several Wyze cameras and I lose them for a few seconds periodically. I don't want that.)

Should I keep the Hello and use its live stream? Or pull it and use the Amcrest?

Thanks, in advance!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
tl;dr: I bought an Amcrest AD110 and was going to replace the Nest Hello. Is the Amcrest doorbell good enough to stand up to Nest doorbell? What are the pros and cons of their stability and video quality?

A little background:
I finally "upgraded" to the new Nest Aware and realized that I am paying more for less. The history in the Nest video scrub was full of holes. Very frustrating! I should have known that would be the case, but I thought that SOME video would be local. So, I did the trial for Nest Aware "Plus".
Now I need to decide what to do before mid-January when they charge me $120.
I use Blue Iris to record all of my cameras. But I like the Nest app's video scrub. Also the object/motion/sound/person/package, and especially facial recognition. So, I am looking to replace all of that without being ripped off by Google.
I am going to use DIY AI (probably Deepstack) and Home Assitant to handle the detection and notification features I will be losing. So, those features are not things I am worried about being different between the cameras.
Before I unbox the Amcrest I want to know whether or not its video and streaming features are good enough to replace the Nest (which has phenomenal video). I have to publically host my Nest stream in order to get it into any surveillance system. So, that is obviously not ideal! But I have come to accept that.
Also, is the Amcrest connection stable? (I have several Wyze cameras and I lose them for a few seconds periodically. I don't want that.)

Should I keep the Hello and use its live stream? Or pull it and use the Amcrest?

Thanks, in advance!
Welcome @mickjacobsen

1st decide what you want in a video doorbell.

In general WiFi = unreliable for 24x7 availability needs.
In general cloud depend = unreliable for 24x7 availability needs.

In general wired ( data and power ) is more reliable, but requires setup work for most of us. Once you invest in that, you typically get a much better setup.

Last edited:

oneeyeopen

n3wb
Reaction score
on a real computer, please study the wiki and the cliff notes. In general using Wi-Fi for surveillance camera is going to cause you heartburn and frustration, don't do it. Use wired cameras with Ethernet. Inexpensive cameras like the wyze cameras are going to cause you grief.
I 100% agree with lonney2ns here.
Based on my personal experience: go read the wiki and study up on the cliff notes.
3 years ago I needed indoor cams to watch my cats while away on a long trip. I went with 3 Reolink cameras ($50usd/ea). Long story short, the Reolink cameras/account got hacked. My cameras would PTZ on there own, cam alarms would be set off, etc, etc. I was being lazy and didn't want to tackle the big project at the time of running cable and going all out with a security plan so I then bought Wyze. Well that ended badly. Then I went with RING...lots of RING. well the Ring gear/app is for the moms and pops that do not need real security. I will never recommend it or use wifi security gear again.

Moral of my story is, save yourself the time, frustration and anxiety and just do it right the 1st time. Hard wire your cable x2, firewall w/ proper rules.

/rant sorry

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have two Nest Hello doorbells and I like them for what they are. TBT I bought them before local AI integration using AI Tool and BI. My setup is the same as yours, I am pulling the public stream for my doorbells into BI. If I had to do it again though I would go with the Amcrest doorbell or something similar non cloud based camera. The biggest reason is because you can adjust camera settings to optimize captures for day/night which Nest, and others, are lacking. On top of that, you’ll get a much better image with Amcrest than Nest as Nest compresses the video stream to optimize upload to Google’s servers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk