FAQ > Do's & Don'ts > Flashing Hikvision Firmware

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
( or Firmware Flashing For Dummies :) )

With so may folks bricking their Hikvision cameras I thought it might be helpful to provide a topic -- an FAQ if you will -- on the do's and don'ts of how to download Hikvision firmware for your Hikvision camera. Please be advised that Ol' Q™ is no expert by any stretch of the imagination, so what I initially write in this post (I hope) will be corrected and made better as the experts weigh in and provide better information. So here we go!

1) What is "firmware?" Firmware is the program which runs inside your camera by which all of your camera features operate. Think of your camera as a computer; "firmware" is the operating system software which runs your camera. Camera manufactures often update their product firmware to fix camera bugs and to provide additional or enhanced camera features.

2) What does "bricking" a camera mean? If you've done some reading you've come across a lot of forum posts which speak of "bricking the camera," which means that the cameras owner "flashed" (applied) the wrong firmware when they attempted to upgrade ("flash") their camera and, as a result, the camera no longer operates properly. In fact, the camera most often ceases to operate. Opps! Once you brick your camera, making it operable again is often very -- VERY -- difficult.

3) How do I know I have the correct firmware version? When you flash your firmware you must make certain that you have selected the correct firmware for your particular camera! Back in the early 90's Q ruined a Ambra 486 by applying an incorrect firmware update to the computer. One would think that the BIOS (computer firmware) developer would have provided a test to make certain that the BIOS being flashed was compatible with the machine it was being applied to. Nope. Moral of the story: do good research and make certain that the firmware you have selected to apply to your camera is the correct firmware for your particular camera. In addition, understand that simply because someone else TOLD YOU that this is the correct firmware for your camera does not make it necessarily so. Be careful! Do thorough research and deliberate carefully before you push the firmware upgrade button. In addition, note that there is often a PDF or text file inside the firmware archive (.zip file) which specifies which camera the firmware was designed for.

4) Do you REALLY need to flash your cameras firmware? This is a very good question which you must ask yourself before you flash. Perhaps you are one of those persons who (even though your camera is functioning fine) simply can't leave well enough alone. I know I'm that way sometimes! The fact is many of my cameras are running fine with the firmware which they originally came with...and there is no need for me to upgrade their firmware. Because these cameras are providing the precise images I require there is no need to upgrade their firmware. Alternatively, your camera may be exhibiting a defect, or abnormality, which a firmware upgrade may correct...or newer firmware may include enhanced or new features which you need. The PDF inside the firmware archive (which I previously mentioned) may provide a list of bug fixes, feature enhancements and/or new features which are a part of the firmware version release.

5) What is the biggest danger? Presently, a lot of folks have purchased Hikvision cameras on Amazon, eBay and AliExpress; these cameras are advertised a "English Language" cameras. What you haven't been told is that most of these cameras are also "Chinese Region" cameras, and if you attempt to flash "Chinese Region" cameras with "Western Region" firmware you will brick your camera. To determine which region your Hikvision camera is take a look at your camera's "Serial No." text string. "Chinese Region" cameras contain "CCCH" in the camera's serial number string, whereas "Western Region" cameras have "CCWR" in the serial number string.

6) Why do firmware releases have different numbers? Because firmware is a computer program and like most computer programs a version number is assigned to keep track of the software release history. For instance: Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. But the newest version may not always be the best version. For example, many folks preferred the Windows 7 functionality and feature set over Windows 8.1 functionality and feature set. And it's the same for cameras, because cameras are really little computers...computers that see!

7) Where can I find firmware for my Hikvision Western Region camera?

8) Where can I learn more? Right here on IpCamTalk.com of course! Use the IpCamTalk Advanced Search feature to research your camera model number and learn more about the best firmware practices for your camera.

As I stated up front, Q™ doesn't know all that much, so let's hope that all the experts here at IpCamTalk.com speak up with corrections, additions and suggestions to make certain that your Excellent Firmware Adventure doesn't turn into a Horrid Firmware Disaster!

FLASHING DISASTER SMILEY: rant.gif

FLASHING SUCCESS SMILEY: smiley17.gif

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

normel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Big thanks for your time and help!

dealpapa

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
can I flash chinese firmware to "Western Region" cameras have "CCWR" in the serial number string