Fanless PoE Switch

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We currently have a Trendnet TPE-S160 PoE switch which has a fan that is always running. I considered replacing the fan with a quieter model but I would prefer the replace it with no fan at all. I did quite a big of research but couldn't find anything great. It will go into a rack so it should have a 1U dimension. I will also add more cams so ideally it has 24 PoE ports (I also use it for other stuff than just PoE cams). Ideally it would be managed but it doesn't have to be and I would like to keep cost below $200. Here are some options I found though they are over $200.

Trendnet:

Unknown brands to me:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I think talk to @looney2ns
there was thread about this...he has some Netgears along with some other guys.
I believe they were Fanless

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
although at 24 ports of 802.3af Poe, the Power brick must be substantial or its gonna need ventilation.
my Cisco 24 port 802.3At switch uses 3 fans....So you'd hate that.
Maybe 2 12's :idk:

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I looked at fans before and I think those were Noctua as @tangent suggested. It's not exactly easy to find a replacement fan, though. Size is the easiest part (45mm from screw to screw) but there is voltage (probably 12V), required cfm, 2/3/4 pin connector, connector style, etc. Google isn't much help. Maybe I just need to open it...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I looked at fans before and I think those were Noctua as @tangent suggested. It's not exactly easy to find a replacement fan, though. Size is the easiest part (45mm from screw to screw) but there is voltage (probably 12V), required cfm, 2/3/4 pin connector, connector style, etc. Google isn't much help. Maybe I just need to open it...
Yep, just open it and take some measurements and pictures.

Reactions: rfj

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve got an HP switch with fans, pretty quiet most of the time except for the few days in the UK where it goes over 25C. Thought of replacing the fans but the current ones are 4 wire jobbies with RPM sense and when I last looked I couldn’t really find anything suitable.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Received a Dahau DH-PFS3226-24ET-240 unmanaged 24 port POE network switch this last week from Andy more or less in your price range.

Have not had a chance to add more than one cameras yet, but with one camera the fan was much quieter then the Dahua 16 port NVR which has two fans (DHI-NVR5216-16P-I/L). Maybe when fully loaded it will be a different scenario.

Check with Andy for availability and current cost.

Network-Switch.png

Attachments

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I’ve got an HP switch with fans, pretty quiet most of the time except for the few days in the UK where it goes over 25C. Thought of replacing the fans but the current ones are 4 wire jobbies with RPM sense and when I last looked I couldn’t really find anything suitable.
If it goes below 20C I turn on the heater and the "equipment room" (tiny, just below the stairs) is some 5-8 degrees Celsius hotter so 25 to 28 (about 77 to 82). That is were the switch is located. My wife used to go to the "equipment room" to warm up... She calls it the sauna. Maybe that is why the switch is so loud... Not to mention when it gets 40+ degrees Celsius (100+ F).

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If it goes below 20C I turn on the heater and the "equipment room" (tiny, just below the stairs) is some 5-8 degrees Celsius hotter so 25 to 28 (about 77 to 82). That is were the switch is located. My wife used to go to the "equipment room" to warm up... She calls it the sauna. Maybe that is why the switch is so loud... Not to mention when it gets 40+ degrees Celsius (100+ F).
Why would you turn the heater on? Most electronic equipment works best when cooled.

Reaction score
I put two of these 'type' of Noctua fans in my Dahua NVR (pull/push) and they have been great. Zero problems with them and they are quiet.

tbaygents

n3wb
Reaction score
Be careful with the Noctua fans, most of them are significantly lower static pressure and CFM rating. This also will void any warranty you have. I bought a TP-LINK switch that has two pretty loud fans as well, and looked at the Noctua's as well but they are 50% lower CFM and static pressure than the stock fans (by the way the stock fans have glue on the connectors to dissuade people from doing this). They also were not pinned the same way (even though they would run, it throws fan codes). YMMV.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Why would you turn the heater on? Most electronic equipment works best when cooled.
Well, I don't turn on the heater for the equipment room but for the house. But then the equipment room also gets some of that heat. And if I close the door it gets even hotter as the hot air (from the stuff inside) can't escape. I have a couple of outlets in the door but it doesn't help much.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Be careful with the Noctua fans, most of them are significantly lower static pressure and CFM rating. This also will void any warranty you have. I bought a TP-LINK switch that has two pretty loud fans as well, and looked at the Noctua's as well but they are 50% lower CFM and static pressure than the stock fans (by the way the stock fans have glue on the connectors to dissuade people from doing this). They also were not pinned the same way (even though they would run, it throws fan codes). YMMV.
That is one of my concerns because I don't know the specs of the original fan. My concern isn't really about the cost of the Trendnet TPE-S160 breaking down (I was thinking of replacing it anyways). The bigger issue is the downtime and having to buy a new switch in a hurry (and pay extra). I mostly have security cameras on the switch (plus some other devices) so I think I am willing to take the risk of putting a fan that has a somewhat lower CFM.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Ask the manufacturer. Explain you have an application that requires low noise so you need to soruce a replacement. They probably won't tell you, but if you don't ask....

Also be aware mods will void your warranty.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Personally I'd just replace the fan(s) with some nice noctua fans.

Don't buy chinesium switches like "Sodola" or "YuLinca". Just don't.
Are there any particular issues with those switches or is it mainly a security concern? If it is security could I just put them on a VLAN (routed through my other switch). I do have them integrated into a HomeSeer home automation system, though so I am not sure how this would work if I have a separate VLAN.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are there any particular issues with those switches or is it mainly a security concern? If it is security could I just put them on a VLAN (routed through my other switch). I do have them integrated into a HomeSeer home automation system, though so I am not sure how this would work if I have a separate VLAN.
I wouldn't trust them for security. However, I just wouldn't trust the basic reliability. Unreliable network gear can be incredibly frustrating.

Aim for something that at cares enough about their reputation that they bother building and maintaining a brand. I realize the Dahua switch someone linked above is probably actually made by some other OEM, but they care enough about their reputation to pick a decent one. The challenge is figuring out which chinese oem makes decent network gear. By the time you have you've likely paid the difference in price compared to something more reputable.

You also could have challenges trying to deal with managing a managed switch from a chinese oem (if it isn't running hacked / stolen code from a company you'd recognize). If you want to buy a yinglin, longdong, other wish special switch at a minimum I'd go unmanaged unless you really need management.

Last edited: