Experience with 2CD2142FWD ?

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Mother in law wants to set up a security camera system at her beach-house. No NAS. I want to avoid bullet cameras due to spiderwebs and height (inability to remove spiderwebs if they collect). Was considering these given the price-point. While low-light Dahua's may be preferred, they're way outside her budget. The 2142's with POE and onboard SDcard would seem to provide a reasonable compromise: storage to sdcard in event of an issue which requires review of video, with no NAS or need to run external power lines (w/ POE).

Anyone using these cameras? Wondering what their performance is like.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You will have spider problems with these domes in addition to IR reflection.... If they get wet and there are water spots you will have issues as well.... The fixed-lens Starlight cameras are 130.... Well worth the slight premium

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got two DS-2CD2142F-IS (same model just with audio & alarm inputs) along with six other Hikvision cameras. I've been happy with the 2142 preformance. But I would look at the new Hikvision 8MP (3840 × 2160 @ 20fps) DS-2CD2385FWD-I camera. Easy to keep clean and a flat lens so you'll get a better picture than a dome camera. I paid $154usd delived for mine. Aliexpress.com : Buy Hikvision 8MP IP Camera DS 2CD2385FWD I Network Turret Camera H.265 Updatable CCTV Security Camera With SD Card Slot from Reliable turret camera suppliers on XinRay Store

DS2CD2385FWDI-page-001.jpg DS2CD2385FWDI-page-002.jpg DS2CD2385FWDI-page-003.jpg DS2CD2385FWDI-page-004.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
60-day delivery timeframe is a bit of a stretch though.
I got mine with standard shipping within 10 days.

The DS-2CD2385FWD-I picture quality is way better than 2142 or the thing you linked to. God only knows what you will get with that no name brand camera link you have provided.

The other thing you could do to reduce the likelihood of spiders being attracted to the camera is to install seperate IR lights. You would need to mount them about 1 to 1.5m away from the camera. The bugs are attacted to the IR lights which in turn the spiders turn up for. Also spray round the camera with a insecticide.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i dont understand why you would pay 125 for a dome and not 130 for a starlight turret with audio.....delivery via dhl in a few days...
I'm having a difficult time determining the model number so I can review the specs. Are you referring to a HDW4431, or some other model?

Audio is unneeded since this installation would be in a 2-party consent state

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm having a difficult time determining the model number so I can review the specs. Are you referring to a HDW4431, or some other model?

Audio is unneeded since this installation would be in a 2-party consent state
no, see the dahua starlight thread..this is a fixed turret with audio and sd card..

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HikVision also do a low light camera, which can be found in this thread.
There are lots of options out there but do yourself a favour, unless the beach house is brightly lit 24*7, get yourself a lowlight capabile camera.

Either Hik or Dahua.

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why would you not just go with the highest resolution camera (Like the DS-2CD2385FWD-I) and if you need to improve the night time performance add some IR lighting like these.
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/MfMFIMb
and one of these to power them
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/6EUz37E
I find the combination of a high resolution camera and good IR lighting work substantially better than just a low light model camera.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why would you not just go with the highest resolution camera (Like the DS-2CD2385FWD-I) and if you need to improve the night time performance add some IR lighting like these.
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/MfMFIMb
and one of these to power them
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/6EUz37E
I find the combination of a high resolution camera and good IR lighting work substantially better than just a low light model camera.
That is simply not the case...The low light camera will perform better...not to mention IR washout on a close subject....

C0m4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
But why going with IP for such simple system while on budget?

You could get much better AHD cams for the same price.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
But why going with IP for such simple system while on budget?

You could get much better AHD cams for the same price.

Because there are many benefits to ip...if you would read the op he wants to use an SD card in the camera....its 2017 not 2004...

C0m4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Because there are many benefits to ip...if you would read the op he wants to use an SD card in the camera....its 2017 not 2004...
SD cards inside cameras = camera stolen with all recordings

What are the benefits of IP for simple domestic installations?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

What are the benefits of IP for simple domestic installations?

Cameras are never stolen, i have never seen a camera removed. Most use it as a backup to the NVR...
here are just some benefits of ip.
1) SD Card storage
2) POE without baluns on both ends..
3) Not required to home run the cables back to the NVR...since you are so paranoid about cameras being stolen this is a big one because it allows you to hide the nvr anywhere..
4) being able to record to two devices at once without tons of extra cable and attenuation issues using splitters..
5) being able to choose from many different vms options without relying on a dvr as an endocder which presents its own issues.
Anyone installing new coax in 2017 (unless there is a special circumstance) is being silly.

C0m4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an installer I honestly see no reason to use IP for simple jobs on budget.
A while ago I've done a dental clinic on very tight budget so I went for local TVT brand AHD cams and DVR. The customer is satisfied for about two years now and doesn't even want to hear about replacing the system.

Few days ago I've done another clinic, with 4mp Milesight IP cams. The customer is satisfied as well and will remain satisfied for at least 3-5 years.

AHD cams available can cover all basic needs.

Futureproofing = cat7

Ease of use? How? Analog systems require MUCH less settings and have fewer fail points.

Installation is easier as well, be it crimping BNC or installing baluns.

What kind of flexibility is required for a beach house? Seriously.

What features all AHD DVRs lack but all IP cams have?
Relays? I'd anyway prefer installing controller inside protected and concealed location. Microphones? Ok. For all? Hardly, probably one or two - go hybrid than.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all pro advancing technologies, I just see no benefit from installing IP cams in this particular case.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an installer I honestly see no reason to use IP for simple jobs on budget.
A while ago I've done a dental clinic on very tight budget so I went for local TVT brand AHD cams and DVR. The customer is satisfied for about two years now and doesn't even want to hear about replacing the system.

Few days ago I've done another clinic, with 4mp Milesight IP cams. The customer is satisfied as well and will remain satisfied for at least 3-5 years.

AHD cams available can cover all basic needs.

Futureproofing = cat7

Ease of use? How? Analog systems require MUCH less settings and have fewer fail points.

Installation is easier as well, be it crimping BNC or installing baluns.

What kind of flexibility is required for a beach house? Seriously.

What features all AHD DVRs lack but all IP cams have?
Relays? I'd anyway prefer installing controller inside protected and concealed location. Microphones? Ok. For all? Hardly, probably one or two - go hybrid than.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all pro advancing technologies, I just see no benefit from installing IP cams in this particular case.

Who said anything about cat7?? only a retard would install cat7..
installation is not easier, if you have a hard time crimping rj45 ends then get out of the business.
Flexiblity in his case is to use an sd card and NOT have to run any other DVR/NVR....
have you never used a software based vms? try it, your customers with thank you...NVR's are toys compared to the options available with VMS.
"much less settings" are exactly the problem with basic systems...all the are good for is 24 hour recording..

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
no, see the dahua starlight thread..this is a fixed turret with audio and sd card..
Thanks. I have read through several in the Dahua forum. I'm just not familiar with that company's product line as much. It seems at the moment the starlights are limited to 2mp?

Seriously... what smash-n-grab thief carries a ladder around with them to steal IP cameras? It's far more likely they'd grab the NAS inside the house, especially if it resembles a small computer. (if someone wants to steal my Dell R710 NAS and run off with it at my house, they can have it lol must weigh 80 pounds)

Unfortunately, my wife had a bit of an "incident" at the beach-house a few weeks back which is precipitating this install. One day while she was working there, she walked outside to find a strapping young man (no doubt a fine citizen of the community) wandering around the back yard looking at the house, who, when my wife emerged, took off running. This was a weekday when folks normally are not around (my wife's car was parked in the garage, so the house looked otherwise unoccupied), so it seems like a sensible precaution to mount some cameras in areas to capture video (the house is alarmed, but, when seconds count, the local constabulary is 10's of minutes away).

Since my wife is thrilled with the system I have set up at my house, I've been tasked with this responsibility now for her mother.