Elder Wanting to try a POE Camera

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I installed the CD/software and have the Config Tool installed on desktop.
What is the IP address range of your network?
It sounds like it's in a different range than the default IP address of the camera, which I believe is 192.168.1.108
On the Config tool - under Settings, you can add another address range to search.
Try adding 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254 and hit Search and see if the camera is found.

nemoz2

n3wb
Reaction score
Usually I just live view my camera via a browser (PaleMoon), or Amcrest proview that lets me see all 4 wifi cams at once.

I read page 29 of the great notes, was overwhelmed probably because of my old age and lack of camera experience. Deleting your gateway...cutting off your internet...don't have a clue. I did click on the "Settings" tool under the Config tool and it was IP start set to 171.35.0.0 and stop IP at 171.35.0.255. Yes the instructions say that the default address of the camera is .108 that I can read say I clicked on add and inserted my IP range which is 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254.
And then clicked refresh...it then found 3 (of 4) of my old Amcrest wi-fi cams. It didn't add .88 Amcrest nor the new Dahau cam. I still can't find my new Dahau. What else can an old inexperienced camera guy try? I thought I had a GB POE Switch, but it isn't. It is the 100/10?. And I notice when I plugged in the ethernet cable from the new Dahau into the 4 port POE switch, that port turned "Orange." Does that mean anything?
Thanks to all of you for your help. Any more advice I would be grateful for.
Nemoz2

nemoz2

n3wb
Reaction score
I checked my Dahau poe ethernet cable with a cable tester. It is used when you cut a cat 5 cable and need to attach another header (connector). I plugged one end into one port on the tester, and one connector into the other side of the tester, and turned it on. The lights lit in sequence from 1-8 on both connections. Shouldn't that verify that my ethernet cable is good from camera to POE switch?
The orange light in the POE network switch port in which the ethernet cable is connected has me puzzled. Is it really providing power to the Dahau? And why can't I log into the default Dahau 192.168.1.108 as listed in the manual? Still get site not available.

Will go back to page 29 and read of the set-up notes, but that is just to deep for me.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I checked my Dahau poe ethernet cable with a cable tester. It is used when you cut a cat 5 cable and need to attach another header (connector). I plugged one end into one port on the tester, and one connector into the other side of the tester, and turned it on. The lights lit in sequence from 1-8 on both connections. Shouldn't that verify that my ethernet cable is good from camera to POE switch?
I've used a simple one like this for years and it tells me if I have the right order (I terminate to the T-568B standard, BTW) including the shield when it's being provided and used. It is cheap, will sustain falls from 10 ft. ladders and won't break the bank if you lose it. But all it will do is let you know you have the correct order and no opens or shorts.

tester1.jpg

nemoz2

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you TonyR. That is exactly what I used to test the cable. And both tested in numerical sequence. However, I removed the camera from that ethernet cable, and plugged an 8' cable into the camera and poe switch, clicked "Refresh" and the camera shows up. I can't figure it.

But I am such a dummy. When I went to the web and entered the default IP address it asked me to change my password. Which I did. I must have made a typo as now the password has me locked out. Do you know how to change the password on this camera? And Avast moved the plug-in into the quarantine chest as it classified it as malware. Geez, I can not win. First I need to change the password. Making a little progress, but I really don't know what. Thanks for your advice and suggestions.

nemoz2

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, have finally sorted out the password problem, the plug-in being defined as a malware. But now I need to change the default IP address of the camera.
Double clicking on IP4 or IP6 on the IPConfigTool does not react giving option to change the IP address. Being an old dummy is tough. I know there must be several ways to change the default IP address of the camera. Will someone please teach me?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you able to access the camera with the default ip address from your browser? If so, it won't be too difficult to change the ip address there. Since you seem to have successfully changed your password you should be able to get to the camera in your Pale Moon browser with 192.168.1.108 address and go to the settings, network, tcp/ip.

nemoz2

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, gwminor48. I can open the camera in Pale Moon. I have been to "Settings," TCP/IP. And I changed the Statie for DHCP. Thinking that sooner or later the default IP would change. Left clicking on the IP address box gets no reaction. I am too hesitant to click on the "Refresh" button on the bottom, yet I am curious if doing that will change everything on the page (Subnet Mask,Default Gateway, DNS, AltDNS or just the IP. I can right click on the IP address box and have the option to
"Cut,Copy, Paste" in the IP Address box. Any more advice? Thanks for your help. I am so close to getting the camera streaming and mounted as I want it.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking at mine, I have static selected and when I go to the field for ip address I can change by either highlighting the field (as if you were going to copy and paste), or clicking and backspacing or deleting. It doesn't highlight or do anything obvious, you just click where you want to change and highlight or clear the field and put whatever you want in there and then click save when you are done. Are you able to go click on the the live view and see the stream?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, gwminor48. I can open the camera in Pale Moon. I have been to "Settings," TCP/IP. And I changed the Statie for DHCP. Thinking that sooner or later the default IP would change. Left clicking on the IP address box gets no reaction. I am too hesitant to click on the "Refresh" button on the bottom, yet I am curious if doing that will change everything on the page (Subnet Mask,Default Gateway, DNS, AltDNS or just the IP. I can right click on the IP address box and have the option to
"Cut,Copy, Paste" in the IP Address box. Any more advice? Thanks for your help. I am so close to getting the camera streaming and mounted as I want it.
You need to select Static, not DHCP before it will let you change the IP address.

nemoz2

n3wb
Reaction score
What a dummy I am...thank you kind sir. Never would I have known that. I have the cam mounted and streaming thanks to a number of smart camera guys who don't mind sharing their knowledge with elders.

However now there two black bars on the side of the image taking up a lot of viewing area. Do I need to change the resolution? The image adjustment on the bottom left does little. Thank you in advance.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not sure how you are viewing but if I'm at the Dahua web page for the camera I can just double click in the middle of the live view and it will go to full screen.

nemoz2

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you again gwminor48. Yes, that is a great view full page like that. I may use that at times. But I was hoping to eliminate the vertical black bars on each side of my live stream and keep the "settings," and other tabs visible. Do you know how to adjust the live stream screen to eliminate the two black vertical bars on the sides? I really appreciate your and all of you other guys taking the time helping me. I apologize for being so slow to learn and knowing so little. But the live stream view of my street is a big thing for me and helps me pass the time. I have two monitors and I can watch my scenic street camera stream and read and surf on the other monitor.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you again gwminor48. Yes, that is a great view full page like that. I may use that at times. But I was hoping to eliminate the vertical black bars on each side of my live stream and keep the "settings," and other tabs visible. Do you know how to adjust the live stream screen to eliminate the two black vertical bars on the sides? I really appreciate your and all of you other guys taking the time helping me. I apologize for being so slow to learn and knowing so little. But the live stream view of my street is a big thing for me and helps me pass the time. I have two monitors and I can watch my scenic street camera stream and read and surf on the other monitor.
Part of this depends on the resolution of the monitor you are using.
See is any of this helps:
  • Red Arrow 1 in below picture, make sure you are using "Main Stream".
  • Press the F11 key on your keyboard to get the browser to full screen.
  • Press F11 again to exit full screen.
  • Red Arrow 2 in below picture, click on the W:H button, now just to the right of the W:H, Original & Adaptive will appear. Click Adaptive.
You can't hurt anything by clicking on the buttons to see what they do.
You can also just briefly hold your mouse over a button and a description will appear.
Let us know if that helps.

Capture.PNG

nemoz2

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh, Golly-Gee Mr. Looney2ns. Pressing the W:H and Adaptive did it. You made me a happy cam man. That magic button removed the
two vertical black stripes. Goodness do you all know lots of great camera stuff. Thank you so much. Now maybe I will be quiet and just watch my street and not trouble you guys for a while.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, Golly-Gee Mr. Looney2ns. Pressing the W:H and Adaptive did it. You made me a happy cam man. That magic button removed the
two vertical black stripes. Goodness do you all know lots of great camera stuff. Thank you so much. Now maybe I will be quiet and just watch my street and not trouble you guys for a while.
Hi Nemoz2,

Have fun playing around with it, and do try different tuning parameters and get the hang of saving video samples.

We've got a lot of experienced people here helping us all learn.

Feel free to share any interesting image / video captures you encounter here:
Camera Captures

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It was no trouble at all, Glad it worked out for you.