DVR and RTSP Cam - Hikivision DS-7208HGHI

TR1PL3D

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to find alternative software that will allow me to view my Hikivision DVR and also a feed from and RTSP stream.

Does such a thing exist?

I have tried to add the RTSP camera to both the Hikvision DVR and the iVMS-4200 software without success.

The Hikvision DVR is a DS-7208HGHI.

I looked at the settings on the DVR, and I cannot see any options to set a Custom Protocol despite there being a reference to these settings in the manual for the DVR.

So I need to either figure out a way to add this camera to the DVR, or the iVMS software. Or find another software that can do both.

Your help is appreciated.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Setting you are referring to allows the recorder to pull in a custom RTSP protocol/stream from a camera that does not fall into the settings of any of the preset profiles already loaded. (Each profile being a given camera manufacturer) on that note, ONVIF, for the most part, negates the need to use the custom profile. The problem is each manufacturer's implementation of ONVIF is different so feature set varies greatly. You made no mention of details on the IP camera, so I can't help you with that until you provide that info. Assuming it's an ONVIF compliant camera, you can set the profile in the recorder to ONVIF, enter the camera login credentials, and that should take care of that. Same goes for the PC software. ONVIF compliance should be your golden ace here. However, if the camera is established to the recorder, just use iVMS to connect to the recorder at that point and be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Good advice from @CoreyX64 that should help.
One more thing though if I may - the 'ONVIF port' used by cameras when conducting the ONVIF dialogues varies a lot between different firmware implementations.
Hikvision in my experience is unusual in having the ONVIF port at 80 the same as the HTTP port.
I have a collection of other brand cameras where the ONVIF port is different in each.

A good way to get details of the specific camera implementation is to query it with the very good Windows open-source tool ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net
The 'ONVIF port' can be seen in the URL at the bottom of the Identification page.
Also - the RTSP string, needed for 'Custom protocol', can be seen at the bottom of the Live Video page.

Last edited by a moderator:

TR1PL3D

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

The camera I am trying to get to work is a Samsung SNH-P6410BN.

I have determined that the ONVIF path is rtsp://IPADDRESS//onvif/profile5/media.smp

But as I mention above, there are no settings on the DVR to allow me to create Custom Protocols. Therefore I cant see how I can set the correct path.

This camera uses port 554 for ONVIF as far as I am aware.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
This camera uses port 554 for ONVIF as far as I am aware.
That would be unusual - it's usually the RTSP port.
What does ODM show in the URL at the bottom of the Identification page?

I have determined that the ONVIF path is rtsp://IPADDRESS//onvif/profile5/media.smp
Nit-picking a bit, but just to clarify - that's the 'RTSP string', which unusually is down the /onvif path.

TR1PL3D

n3wb
Reaction score
That would be unusual - it's usually the RTSP port.

Nit-picking a bit, but just to clarify - that's the 'RTSP string', which unusually is down the /onvif path.

Yes, sorry, I meant RTSP port.

I am still none the wiser. I simply do not see Custom Protocol settings while using a screen connected to the DVR itself, or by using the remote configuration option within iVMS-4200.

Is this a feature of only a select few of the Hikivision DVR's. Or do I need to do something like update my firmware to the latest version.

My current firmware version is v3.3.1 build 151106. I cannot seem to locate a newer version on the Hikvision website. If a newer version exists, could someone point me in the right direction please?

As an aside, I would like to try a different firmware as I am seeing tearing on some of my cameras, a reboot solves the problem, but I am not always on site to perform a reboot!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you manage to find what the 'ONVIF port' is to see if you can add the camera as an ONVIF model?

It may be that your specific DVR does not have the 'Custom protocol' capability.
The location for this in the web GUI would be found in a button on the 'Camera Management' configuration page.

TR1PL3D

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the screenshot.

Sadly it seems my DVR does not support Custom Protocol as the button for adding one is missing in the section shown in the screenshot above.

Not a good, cant use this camera now, not very happy about that if I am honest.

But thanks for your help.

TR1PL3D

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the firmware.

Just installed and rebooted. But sadly still no option for Custom Protocol. Seems as though I am SOL with this one!

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A for effort, at least you tried!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk