DS-7608NI-K2/8P Abnormal network error on all IP camera

watts21

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a DS-7608NI-K2 / 8P (firmware V3.4.103 build 181226 ) running for about 1 year then on august 15, the device no longer saw any of my 5 hikvision IP camera. which are :
2 x DS-2CD2732F
3 x DS-2CD2155FWD-I

On the camera status page, all 5 camera had the status of offline in the NVR interface.

I wiped the NVR and reset to all default settings. From the NVR setup wizard I re-configured the device, using the default internal IP of 192.168.254.1.

I entered a different Admin password for the NVR and the camera configuration. I used the same custom password I was already using on each camera.

Although the NVR does not detect the IP cameras, it show the network in unavailable it does see the POE connections and consumption.

Poe status for each camera.

I plugged in each camera directly a POE power injector connected to a laptop running SADP tool. On its down each camera is detected at the IP address set by the NVR. So this is really strange the NVR is able to change IP address on the camera but not access them after.

Is the POE switch defective ?

I have re-flashed the DS-7608NI-K2 twice now. I don't want to purchase a separate POE switch, thinking of getting a replacement DS-7608NI-K2 but a bit worried that the switch appears to be very fragile. Wondering if a power event, storm surge or something knocked it out.

Just for a variation. I changed the internal POE IP to 192.168.253.1. Only had 1 camera plugged in on port 2. Saw the NVR configure its port IP, for a few seconds camera show up as online. then the network error occurred

I am I missing any steps in the troubleshooting before I order a new NVR ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I am I missing any steps in the troubleshooting before I order a new NVR ?
Suggestion:
In the NVR web GUI, check that the network configuration is as required.

Connect the PC to an unused NVR PoE port and confirm that the camera shows up at the expected IP address.
Change the PC IP address to one in the same range that the camera is in, and see if you can log in to the camera normally.

I don't know if Hikvision have changed this - but it used to be possible to log in to the NVR web GUI at the 'Internal NIC' address, default of 192.168.254.1

watts21

n3wb
Reaction score
Good idea, I did something similar yesterday.

Had a laptop plugged in the NVR port 8, set an IP on the 192.168.254.20. Ran the SADP V3.1.0.8 tool it showed both the NVR the IP camera. Ping the IP camera on the detected IP would work for a few seconds then fail. As if the PoE swith works for a short detay then starts to fail. Logon to the IP camera would fail via web brower when connected through the POE switch.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Ping the IP camera on the detected IP would work for a few seconds then fail. As if the PoE swith works for a short detay then starts to fail.
That does suggest there is a network malfunction of some sort with the NVR PoE ports.

Despite that you've re-flashed the firmware and reset to defaults, it may be worth flashing the next version down, in the (most unlikely) chance that some unusual bug has appeared after all that time.

Are you able to check the power supply voltages?
The 12V and 5V are available on the HDD connector.
And on that topic, see if disconnecting the HDD makes any difference.

Just clutching at straws here ...

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've seen single ports fail on hikvision nvrs (and poe switches) before.

I've never seen an entire hik poe switch fail but it can happen, I've had to replace plenty of poe switches before that have just given up the ghost.

You can get poe switches fairly cheaply these days, and multi port poe injectors even more cheaply.

If you're happy the actual switching portion of the nvr is still OK (sounds like it if your laptop was OK - you could confirm by connecting the laptop and opening a command prompt and running "ping -n 500 192.168.254.1" and make sure no packets are dropped, then you could just buy a poe injector to power the cameras.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you're happy the actual switching portion of the nvr is still OK (sounds like it if your laptop was OK - you could confirm by connecting the laptop and opening a command prompt and running "ping -n 500 192.168.254.1" and make sure no packets are dropped, then you could just buy a poe injector to power the cameras.
Ping the IP camera on the detected IP would work for a few seconds then fail.
It does sound like the switching side of the PoE ports is the crux of the problem.
PoE power seems to be being drawn normally.

On the assumption that the cameras are going to have to be connected to a separate PoE switch on the LAN - @watts21 be aware that you can reconfigure the NVR PoE channels to disable the PoE ports and instead use the same channels to connect to cameras on IP addresses on the same LAN as the NVR LAN interface.
To do this, in the NVR web GUI, put the channel into 'Manual' mode and configure the IP address to match that of the camera that's on the new LAN-connected PoE switch.
That way, you don't lose the use of the apparently faulty PoE channels of the NVR.

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, I missed the part of the first post where he said the nvr was still showing a load so the poe supply actually seems to be OK. New switch it is unfortunately.

It may be worth trying changing the channels to manual anyway and just leaving the ip address as it is (hik nvrs will usually address them in the order of the ports but it should show in the camera settings screen).
Very unlikely to make any difference, but it'll only take 2 minutes to try.

watts21

n3wb
Reaction score
I ordered a new DS-7608NI-I2/8P.
Did a few more test on the DS-7608NI-K2. I reinstalled NVR 4.0. I know a NI-K2 is not supposed to run NVR 4 but I had had it running for a few months, I re-installed the latest version I could find, V4.21.008 build 190625. No changes.

Other test I did, on two ports I removed the POE binding in NVR GUI , I connected two different laptops each one on 192.168.254.20 and 192.168.254.23 each with a gateway of 192.168.254.1. Had each device try to ping the other. I only got a few packets reply when the switch was booting. Later this setup was left powered on, I had the NVR GUI on live few and for a few seconds I actually saw a live Feed for the only camera now plugged in the system before the feed doing back to No link.

I opened on the unit, look at board a ds-80242 rev 1.1 I could not see any signs of damage. Whats makes this all very confusing is at the physical port switch on the NVR yellow and green led of the nic ports flash.

As the NIC led where flashing I started a Wireshark tracing session on one of the laptops, And surprise I see some traffic, UDP and ARP traffic from the connect camera and some UDP from the NVR on 192.168.254.1

here is a sample of the traffic :

Not what had expected, UDP and ARP traffic on a defective switch.

bryanscams

n3wb
Reaction score
Have the same thing happen to my system, what did you do to fix this, or did you.