DS-7608NI-E2 SE/8P and POE Switch Diagram?

BBQ Ribs

n3wb
Reaction score
I am a bit confused on the POE switches and connecting cameras to NVR.

Can I use a POE Switch instead of running all wires to the built-in 8 ports of the NVR?
I have a detached garage where I want to install 3 camera's however I would like to just run 1 wire, is this possible?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The one thing you will bump into when trying to 'Add' LAN-connected cameras to an 8 channel NVR with 8 PoE ports is that it appears not to be possible, as all 8 channels are already configured for the PoE ports.
The NVR will complain that all 8 channels are in use, and will not allow you to 'Add' or 'Delete' one of them.

The way to connect the LAN-connected cameras is to pick one of the unused PoE ports in camera configuration, and use 'Modify' to change it to Manual mode instead of Plug&Play, change the IP address to that you have set on the LAN-connected camera, and apply the login credentials and other details of the camera as needed.

BBQ Ribs

n3wb
Reaction score
The one thing you will bump into when trying to 'Add' LAN-connected cameras to an 8 channel NVR with 8 PoE ports is that it appears not to be possible, as all 8 channels are already configured for the PoE ports.
The NVR will complain that all 8 channels are in use, and will not allow you to 'Add' or 'Delete' one of them.

The way to connect the LAN-connected cameras is to pick one of the unused PoE ports in camera configuration, and use 'Modify' to change it to Manual mode instead of Plug&Play, change the IP address to that you have set on the LAN-connected camera, and apply the login credentials and other details of the camera as needed.
Great, thanks guys
Yes this was exactly the issue I was running into as it says I was unable to add anymore camera's.
My initial thought was if I added a camera it would automatically get assigned an unused internal port.
Thanks for the clarification

BBQ Ribs

n3wb
Reaction score
ok, heres a final update and a few other issues I was running into.

I selected 2 random unused internal ports on the nvr (Ports 7 and 8), Still nothing worked although I was able to view camera's through a browser (Firefox, OSX)
Finally switched from ports 7 and 8 to ports 1 and 2 and everything showed up as expected.

Also I had 3 camera's installed 2 were working and one had no power due to a bad ethernet connection (needed to re-crimp wires)
When the non working camera was connected to the Netgear switch it caused very unstable connection issues as my other non poe ports were very finicky and could not keep a connection
removing that camera from the switch cleared everything up and everything worked as normal.

Either way it's up and running, thanks again