DS-7608N-E2/8P with new cameras and long passwords

BigCaddy

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm setting up an older DS-7608N-E2/8P. When I get to the password screen it only allows numbers. All new cameras require a letter and numbers. Is there a setting or firmware that will allow the letters and numbers?

Thank you.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
In the NVR web GUI?
I don't recall such a restriction, even on firmware a couple of years old.
What version of firmware is the NVR running?

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm setting up an older DS-7608N-E2/8P. When I get to the password screen it only allows numbers. All new cameras require a letter and numbers. Is there a setting or firmware that will allow the letters and numbers?
Working from the NVR with monitor+mouse? Even on older firmwares you could use letters. Post a picture where you get stuck.

BigCaddy

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I'll try to clarify.
I've set the Gui web password on the NVR fine.
I can access the cameras normally from the gui of the NVR
I can access the cameras from the web via ip address with the longer required password.
SADP allows for longer passwords.

If I go to the NVR and "add IP Camera" and choose "manual" to have an IP on the LAN I am required to enter a password. It doesn't allow for letters or special characters.

DS-7608N-E2/8P
V3.0.10 Build 141126
V5 Build 140816

Attached picture.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That is pretty old firmware.
On the newer firmware, eg 3.4.90, the button to switch modes between numeric and alpha and special characters is on the on-screen keyboard itself.
What does the '123' button at the right of the password field do?

I presume you know that you can also plug a USB keyboard in?

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Click on the yellow box at the end of the password field, the one with the "123" in it. The keyboard will change to allow letters, numbers & special symbols.

Last edited:

BigCaddy

n3wb
Reaction score
oh boy do I feel dumb. haha. the 123 button worked. duh

Should I upgrade that firmware? if so, could anyone supply a link to the right one?

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One word of caution: Long passwords on older systems (firmware) may not work nicely. I think the limit is 8 characters. In otherwords, the system may allow you to create a password longer than 8 characters, but won't accept it when you try to add cameras or login. I had this happen on an old SWANN NVR8-7300. Check your users manual to confirm.

BigCaddy

n3wb
Reaction score
that seems to be what is happening. I add the camera to the NVR at the screen above but it never connects.
The NVR has the yellow triangle (Unknown Error)
The Gui on the NVR states (Offline Parameter Error)

BigCaddy

n3wb
Reaction score
Were is a good place to start to find firmware that will work with the 7608N? I am able to find it for the NI but I'm afraid I'll mess it up.