ds-7204 wireless issue

smilybri

n3wb
Reaction score
hi i am new to the forum i have a ds-7204 dvr it works great to any machines on my home network that are connected via cat5 (hardwired not wireless) via the web browser inteface on the internal home network but if say i want to adjust a camera outside i take a wireless laptop out and use it to see what view the camera has, then the problem is that the reaction time is very slow (say something comes into the field of view, on the internal hardwired machines its instantly displayed but on any wirelessly connected machine the delay is probably in the region of ten-fifteen seconds, i dont have wireless issues with any other streaming or devices on my wireless network and i dont have a lot of wireless devices also when i am trying to use the wireless to view the dvr i make sure all other wireless devices are turned off just in case one is hogging the bandwidth, however it makes no difference i was wondering have i missed a setting in the dvr to cause this issue and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to try to improve the wireless speed for the dvr
thanks in advance

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
hi i am new to the forum i have a ds-7204 dvr it works great to any machines on my home network that are connected via cat5 (hardwired not wireless) via the web browser inteface on the internal home network but if say i want to adjust a camera outside i take a wireless laptop out and use it to see what view the camera has, then the problem is that the reaction time is very slow (say something comes into the field of view, on the internal hardwired machines its instantly displayed but on any wirelessly connected machine the delay is probably in the region of ten-fifteen seconds, i dont have wireless issues with any other streaming or devices on my wireless network and i dont have a lot of wireless devices also when i am trying to use the wireless to view the dvr i make sure all other wireless devices are turned off just in case one is hogging the bandwidth, however it makes no difference i was wondering have i missed a setting in the dvr to cause this issue and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to try to improve the wireless speed for the dvr
thanks in advance
Its not a DVR issue..the dvr does not know if you are connected wireless or not. Its simply an issue with wireless in general and that the signal outside is likely weak.

smilybri

n3wb
Reaction score
Its not a DVR issue..the dvr does not know if you are connected wireless or not. Its simply an issue with wireless in general and that the signal outside is likely weak.
first thanks for replying but sorry to disagree i should have said in op that the router is situated about 20 feet away from where i am trying to use the wireless laptop (when outside i mean) the signal strength is full and on testing ping and internet speeds and local network speeds outside in the same location its fine the wireless connection to the dvr is what seems to be the issue not the wireless in general as i said in the op i dont have any wireless issues with any other devices on this network i am wondering if its a setting to do with frame rates / bandwidth in the dvr that could be causing this problem? what do you think?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
first thanks for replying but sorry to disagree i should have said in op that the router is situated about 20 feet away from where i am trying to use the wireless laptop (when outside i mean) the signal strength is full and on testing ping and internet speeds and local network speeds outside in the same location its fine the wireless connection to the dvr is what seems to be the issue not the wireless in general as i said in the op i dont have any wireless issues with any other devices on this network i am wondering if its a setting to do with frame rates / bandwidth in the dvr that could be causing this problem? what do you think?
Its a wireless issue. Proof is in the pudding, it works wired. The amount of bars your laptop displays is not indicative of the quality of the signal. The DVR has no idea whether you are wired or wireless. You may get less latency if you lower the bitrate. If the latency bothers you, just use a long ethernet cord..

smilybri

n3wb
Reaction score
Its a wireless issue. Proof is in the pudding, it works wired. The amount of bars your laptop displays is not indicative of the quality of the signal. The DVR has no idea whether you are wired or wireless. You may get less latency if you lower the bitrate. If the latency bothers you, just use a long ethernet cord..
i agree its a wireless issue however i said in the first reply i have got full wireless when outside i can ping at the same rates inside or out also i have tested network data transfare speeds of a large file and it does not differ in any way inside or out this indicates that the wireless system is working as normal so having said that i was hoping to see if anyone knew what could make the dvr data that is sent via cat5 to the router slow down when being accessed via wireless yet as i have just said the wireless is showing no issues on data transfare when moving large files or pinging both local and external addresses (google.com etc) i thought perhaps it may be some setting or other

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i agree its a wireless issue however i said in the first reply i have got full wireless when outside i can ping at the same rates inside or out also i have tested network data transfare speeds of a large file and it does not differ in any way inside or out this indicates that the wireless system is working as normal so having said that i was hoping to see if anyone knew what could make the dvr data that is sent via cat5 to the router slow down when being accessed via wireless yet as i have just said the wireless is showing no issues on data transfare when moving large files or pinging both local and external addresses (google.com etc) i thought perhaps it may be some setting or other
There is absolutely no setting that can help, except for maybe lowering the bitrate to compensate for the poor signal or poor wireless transfer rate. There is no setting in the DVR that would specifically control the wireless signal. Have you tested the laptop itself when its connected wired? is there a delay?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
As @fenderman has stated - and has been seen many times by users of this forum - it's common to get jerky motion on HD video streams over a wireless connection, even if the signal strength is very good and the transfer rate apparently well exceeds the bit rate of the camera.
The real-time aspects of a video stream are handled quite differently from how data flows in a file transfer, the way the video frames flow doesn't always interact well with how the network packets are windowed, fragmented and buffered.
You will get a small improvement if you set the camera live view to UDP instead of TCP, though you are likely to get missing frames.

Last edited by a moderator:

smilybri

n3wb
Reaction score
i knew there is no way you can tweak any wireless settings in the dvr as it simply is not a wireless device full stop but i thought perhaps i had missed a network / video setting that could have helped anyway yes tried with two different makes of laptops both with same results wireless = best side of useless wired = ok i will just not worry about it too much as i only need the laptop for tweaking camera positions / focus anyway and i dont see this being a major issue once i have them all set up as i want them thanks for the help and advise

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe different in the 7204, but in 7816 it's under " 'Local configuration'" not '"network settings"
*edit* sorry - meant the camera. But it's in the same place there.

smilybri

n3wb
Reaction score
sorry cant find it looked in both local and camera dont see anything for UDP to be honest its a bit of a pain as i wanted to use a laptop in the living room to monitor the system but the wireless speed issue wont allow it i have two 1080p cameras (analogue) on the system and both work very well via cat5 i also have a ip camera on the network but it does not connect to the dvr as it simply does not see it even if i manually add it using its ip address or by camera name it never has seen it its a foscam but its not on the supported list so i wouldnt really expect it to connect anyway but the foscam is connect to the router via cat5 and works well on any wireless devices on the system

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, it looks like the 7204 DVR is quite different from the NVRs, I sent you on a 'wild goose chase' looking for UDP!