DS-7108N-SN/P routing problem - Help please?

tmazid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a DS-7108-SN/P NVR which has an internal IP address 172.16.0.100 and 192.168.254.x (for the PoE Cameras), with a router IP address of 172.16.0.1. I have a camera (DS-2CD2032-I) connected to one of the PoE ports on the back of the NVR and has an IP address of 192.168.254.2. The NVR can access the internet fine and is able to resolve names and I can also access the NVR externally without any problems.

The problem..
1. I cannot connect to the Camera (192.168.254.2) from 172.16.0.x internal network? Is that normal or should I be able to?
2. I'm trying to configure the camera directly not from the NVR to send screen images when movement is detected but the camera is unable to access the internet? What should the default gateway be on the camera, should it be the router IP address or the NVR internal IP address, I'm confused? Please see diagram attached.

I have tried both (router - 172.16.0.1 and NVR - 172.16.0.100) settings without success.

3. I plugged in a laptop (with static 192.168.254.128) into a free NVR PoE port and managed to perform a telnet connection to the camera and have to tried to access various IP addresses externally, which have failed and also I'm unable to access my router (172.16.0.1)? Why does this not work? How can I get internet access to my camera? Please see route output attached for more info.

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi,

The issues you are having hear is because you have two LAN networks and the NVR has two NICs, one connected to your LAN that your router is on, and one connected to the cameras. Both of these NICs have different IP addresses. One has 172.16.0.100, the other should be 192.168.254.1. Therefore:

1) You can't... unless you have virtual host enabled which I'm not sure your NVR or firmware support.
2) Same I think but someone else will confirm 100%
3) Try 192.168.254.1

Del Boy

tmazid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Del Boy,
Thanks for your comments, I did try setting the default gateway on the camera to 192.168.254.1 but it still failed.

tmazid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Alastair,
Thanks for your feedback and I've had a quick read (all of it) and it looks very promising, so will try the suggestions first thing in the morning and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The assumption is that you don't already have the 'Virtual Host' facility (I know this won't allow you to send images externally). Though if external access from the camera still didn't work after setting the default gateway, 'Virtual Host' is probably not available. If you do have it - the 'IP forwarding' may already be enabled. And it's also likely that HTTP traffic on port 80 may not get filtered between the interfaces on the NVR, both of which would be useful.

Check that just in case with (1=active, 0=not active)
"[root@dvrdvs /] # cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
[root@dvrdvs /] #"
Also - remember that the change to enable IP forwarding does not survive a reboot, the defaults are built in to the kernel. Having said that - over about 9 months I've never had an unexpected reboot on my 7816N-E2/8P.

tmazid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Alastair,
Here's a quick update..

I checked on the NVR that port forwarding was enabled or disabled by typing cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward after a telnet connection and it was disabled. I then enabled it and ensured that the camera's default gateway was 192.168.254.1, so far so good. Oh yes, also on the NVR I had to configure the Camera to 'Manual' instead of 'Plug and Play'

Unfortunately, the existing router (Virgin SuperHub) doesn't support adding routes, i.e. to access the 192.168.254.x subnet, so I replaced the router with one that did support the addition of static routes on the router and hey presto, everything started to work.

Which is..
1. I was able to access the camera ( which is on 192.168.254.x network) from my local LAN (172.16.0.x network) which I couldn't before.
2. I was now able to access the internet from the Camera, so it could now be configured for email alerts, NTP sync, etc..
3. I've configured motion alerts on the camera, not the NVR and it appears to work sending me images aswell, which is great!

Questions:
1. The motion detection settings on the NVR for the camera, does that overwrite whats on the Camera? What takes precedence?
2. Do I have to configure each camera manually, when I add additional camera's to make sure that it sends email alerts with pictures?
3. How does Notify Surveillance Center work from the Camera, as I can't see a way to configure it and it doesn't appear to work when ticked?

Thanks, as always, for help and guidance.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
1. The motion detection settings on the NVR for the camera, does that overwrite whats on the Camera? What takes precedence?
That's one of those thorny questions that gets aired on the forum here - and I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm not sure. Others may chip in ... I've always set these events up on the camera, and the actions on the NVR, and I've got 2 NVRs and QNAP Surveillance Station talking to each camera and I've not seen any problems.

2. Do I have to configure each camera manually, when I add additional camera's to make sure that it sends email alerts with pictures?
Yes I believe so.

3. How does Notify Surveillance Center work from the Camera, as I can't see a way to configure it and it doesn't appear to work when ticked?
I have this on cameras and NVRs under 'Linkage method' but I've not explored if it works differently from the camera or NVR. Others may chip in ...
From the NVR Help:
Task 2: Set the Arming Schedule for Motion Detection. Steps:

1. Click Edit to edit the arming schedule.
  2. Choose the day you want to set the arming schedule.
  3. (Optional) After you set the arming schedule, you can copy the schedule to other days.
  4. Click OK to save the settings.Note: The time of each period can not be overlapped. Up to 8 periods can be configured for each day.
Task 3: Set the Linkage Method for Motion Detection.
Check the checkbox to select the linkage method. Audio warning, notify surveillance center, send email,full screen monitoring, trigger channel and trigger alarm output are selectable. You can specify the linkage method when an event occurs.
Audible Warning: Trigger the audible warning locally. And it only supported by the device have the audio output.
Notify Surveillance Center: Send an exception or alarm signal to remote management software when an event occurs.
Send Email: Send an email with alarm information to a user or users when an event occurs.
Full Screen Monitoring: Switch to the full screen playing mode when an event occurs.
Trigger Channel:The video will be recorded when the motion is detected. You have to set the recording schedule first.
Trigger Alarm Output: Trigger one or more external alarm outputs when an event occurs.

tmazid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your response Alastair, I'll paly around with my settings to find the best configuration.