DS-2CD3345-I vs DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS

Reaction score
Needing an IP camera to put on my house pointing towards my vehicles about 50' away illuminated by streetlight. Mainly for night surveillance but also daytime as well. Having some break-in problems. Which camera will be more effective at getting a clear picture of a thief?

I really like the IP camera function of the IWS model, but seems like h265 would be much more efficient. Are their any IP cams (POE) that are 4mp and h265? Open source required because I am viewing with a PC (and want to be able to stream to my mobile phone, tablet, etc) not using dedicated NVR. English firmware required, I don't want to mess around figuring out firmware issues. 120 dB WDR is also required... Two way audio would be nice but not a requirement, one way audio is needed at minimum. I'm guessing a 2.8mm lens would be better than a 4mm lens for a wide area.... I don't think tamper proof is important I'm putting it on my roof.

The DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS is 200 on amazon 150 on ali
The DS-2CD3345-I is 69 on Ali

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Needing an IP camera to put on my house pointing towards my vehicles about 50' away illuminated by streetlight. Mainly for night surveillance but also daytime as well. Having some break-in problems. Which camera will be more effective at getting a clear picture of a thief?

I really like the IP camera function of the IWS model, but seems like h265 would be much more efficient. Are their any IP cams (POE) that are 4mp and h265? Open source required because I am viewing with a PC (and want to be able to stream to my mobile phone, tablet, etc) not using dedicated NVR. English firmware required, I don't want to mess around figuring out firmware issues. 120 dB WDR is also required... Two way audio would be nice but not a requirement, one way audio is needed at minimum. I'm guessing a 2.8mm lens would be better than a 4mm lens for a wide area.... I don't think tamper proof is important I'm putting it on my roof.

The DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS is 200 on amazon 150 on ali
The DS-2CD3345-I is 69 on Ali
Welcome to the forum..there are tons of posts on this subject. You will not capture any thing useful at 50 feet if you use a 2.8mm or even 4mm lens.
You will need to hookup a mic for audio, and it must be an IS model. If you buy from ali your will likely not get a warranty and you cannot upgrade firmware or you will brick your camera (same goes for most of the cams sold on amazon). The is a difference between US region and english firmware. Start reading the forum before you buy or your will be sorry.
not sure what open source has to do with anything.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Take Fenderman's advice about 2.8 and 4mm lenses at 50'. With those lenses at that distance all you will see is a figure jacking with your car. Not much good to you or the police aside for determining the time of incident. Take a look at the Huisun mini PTZ mentioned a lot on this forum. Great price and you can customize the zoom to fit your exact situation. Video quality is excellent and some models even have a built in mic.

Reaction score
Yes I am reconsidering the DS line looking into the Huisun mini PTZ and also have seen the Longse S500

Reaction score
Take Fenderman's advice about 2.8 and 4mm lenses at 50'. With those lenses at that distance all you will see is a figure jacking with your car. Not much good to you or the police aside for determining the time of incident. Take a look at the Huisun mini PTZ mentioned a lot on this forum. Great price and you can customize the zoom to fit your exact situation. Video quality is excellent and some models even have a built in mic.
[h=1]Does HS-SCB405IP-V10-E have the ability to zoom in and out remotely or as it detects motion? What kind of IQ can I expect?[/h]