DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS - Dome Camera - Factory Reset .. How?

sirius99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got this the other day and spent a bit of time getting used to it.

Im not use PoE but am using a seperate 12V power supply ...

Installed it outside and went in to test it.... zero... If i browse to it it shows me some text that looks like a telnet login screen but it does nothing..

Pulled up iVMS (using a MAC) and it sees it - i noticed the user list was empty so decided to factory reset it but it fails to do that with software ...it generates an error code....

So i have tried to hold the reset button down inside the dome , and then apply power , holding it down for another 20 seconds but it doesnt do a reset ....

So 2 questions :

1. Is that the correct process to reset to factory on this camera
2. Can i manually telnet onto it and force a firmware package into it?

Seems to me like the firmware is bricked..

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
1. Is that the correct process to reset to factory on this camera
Yes...
The reset button is located on the main board near the activity light.
Take the dome off, disconnect the camera from power, hold the reset button, apply power while you continue to hold the reset button for like 10/15 seconds. This is how to apply a factory reset to this model.

2. Can i manually telnet onto it and force a firmware package into it?
See this for TFTP info and HIK hardware: What is the de-bricking process for HIKVision camera and NVR firmware updates?

sirius99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks - So seems like it is reset (its now inactive in the tools) - activating however doesn't work - just get a bland failed error 0 message ...

Will look at the debrick process thanks...

sirius99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry , it's on a 12v power .. my bad ... edited original post ..thanks for pointing out the obvious..

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Optimistically, it seems, I thought there might be a chance the problem was linked to this ...
What do you see when pointing a browser at the camera IP address?
If it's still 'inactive' that should show, and it should be able to be activated, via the web GUI.

sirius99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok ... seems the factory reset had taken ( I wasn't sure it had as it showed an IP address of 192.168.1.64 which isnt one I saw on any of the forums) but for some reason when it went to activate it it refused . Just said it couldn't connect to the camera.

Eventually the vendor suggested (from HIKVision) that i plug it directly into my laptop and make sure it was on the same IP segment as the camera - Camera was on 192.168.1.64 - default for this camera it seems - So i did this and lo and behold it activated ..so all sorted ... but what a weird error...