DS-2CD2132F-IS sharpness issue

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
About 90% sure that it needs a focal adjustment...The only other thing that came to mind is that the bright light in the windows may have been causing the shutter speed to go too fast for lighting conditions on the rest of the scene. That will cause noise and blurring and was probably causing some of the problem...Still I feel pretty sure that the lens isn't focused correctly as well.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
About 90% sure that it needs a focal adjustment...The only other thing that came to mind is that the bright light in the windows may have been causing the shutter speed to go too fast for lighting conditions on the rest of the scene. That will cause noise and blurring and was probably causing some of the problem...Still I feel pretty sure that the lens isn't focused correctly as well.
Agreed, but wonder how that can be adjusted.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Never tried it myself, but apparently (based on posts from other members here) it isn't exactly an easy task.
I'm going to take the camera down this weekend, and mount is elsewhere to see if it's merely a result the environment it's currently installed in.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alright, I have an update for everyone. After all the suggestions above, I still was not happy with the sharpness of the 2132. Up close, it's incredibly sharp. But objects roughly 10+ feet away are simply not. So, after work yesterday, I swapped the 2032 with the 2132. As you know, I have both. So now, the 2132 is mounted where the 2032 was and vice versa. I'm much happier now. The 2032 handles the brightness of the sun coming through the rear window effortlessly. The 2132 now looks inside, but it being a 2.8mm lens, means it captures the inside of the garage much better than the 2032 did.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up. Glad to see it worked out for you.
I won't say it's completely worked out, as it's obvious my 2132 is NOWHERE as sharp all throughout the picture compared to my 2032. It's very noticeable...

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's the back light trying to over compensate, this is what always will happens with different light levels, you would have better results looking across the windows rather than at them.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's the back light trying to over compensate, this is what always will happens with different light levels, you would have better results looking across the windows rather than at them.
I have the 2032 mounted in the EXACT same position the 2132 was mounted previously. The 2032 handles the back light absolutely perfectly. Razor sharp all over the entire picture. The 2132 start becoming fuzzy after 9 or 10 feet.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Still not happy with this thing. Will probably sell it, and get the new 4MP turret instead. Image quality is worse than my old system, and faces are not even recognizable half the time. Maybe I got a dud that wasn't calibrated right from the factory.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is not the norm for that camera..it could be a bad lens or the focus...all the basic 2cd hiks use the same lenses and none that ive had exhibit this issue...the pinhole hikvision i purchased also arrived out of focus, I broke the glue and fixed it.
Might as well mess with it as you cannot sell it as is for any decent value.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is not the norm for that camera..it could be a bad lens or the focus...all the basic 2cd hiks use the same lenses and none that ive had exhibit this issue...the pinhole hikvision i purchased also arrived out of focus, I broke the glue and fixed it.
Might as well mess with it as you cannot sell it as is for any decent value.
I took a look at a capture from today, but this time with the garage door open. See how it's improved? Does this camera just not like low light?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
its hard to tell with that lighting...you can print out a siemens focus star and see if you can see changes based on light...
None of the 3mp hikvisions like low light, but your first image was not really low light.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
its hard to tell with that lighting...you can print out a siemens focus star and see if you can see changes based on light...
None of the 3mp hikvisions like low light, but your first image was not really low light.
I swear the camera was super sharp when I set it up inside my office first. It's like it lost some sharpness when I mounted it in the garage. I cannot figure it out. But you can tell a difference in sharpness between the two captures I posted, right? Nothing changed settings wise, but it's blatantly obvious something messing with the way the focus is perceived. Look at the left tail light of my X5 for example.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I swear the camera was super sharp when I set it up inside my office first. It's like it lost some sharpness when I mounted it in the garage. I cannot figure it out. But you can tell a difference in sharpness between the two captures I posted, right? Nothing changed settings wise, but it's blatantly obvious something messing with the way the focus is perceived. Look at the left tail light of my X5 for example.
its hard to tell with that floor...you need something there to be able to discern the focus.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The new image still looks a little fuzzy to me in the area you've mentioned.
As @fenderman says - normally you get super-sharp images from these.
My bet is still that the lens focus is just set a bit off. It's only a tiny adjustment - but you will need to deal with the spot of glue that holds the lens on position, as per the post link above.

Last edited by a moderator:

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FWIW I loosened a lens last night on a Hik using a cotton swab dipped in PVC cleaner.
By the time I put the swab down the glue was ready to pull.
I'm trying to get it adjusted out now but I may end up picking up a different lens from the 2.8 here:
http://www.m12lenses.com/category-s/64.htm

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are the apertures different between the 2.8mm and 4.0mm lenses? You also have some algorithms contributing to image quality with the dynamic range needed pointed at the outside lighting.