DS-2CD2032-I upgeading firmware stuck at Min-System

zillah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
[Tutorial] How to update the firmware on a Hikvision camera.

Hi All

I tried to upgrade one ( I have 3) of my DS-2CD2032-I (192.168.10.84) in the snapshot attached :

I used below URL to download the firmware (And I followed the Firmware instruction Scenario one as origin firmware was 5.2.0 build ,,,,,)

DS-2CD2032-I-Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.

As advised by Hikvision waited from one minute to more than 10 minutes still SADP showing Min-System!!!

I restarted (plug and unplug) the ip camera still no joy

Can you please advise how can I rectify the issue ?

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The symptoms (despite the 'RR' in the serial number) are typical of a grey-market camera bricked by applying the stock EN/ML firmware.
But it could also be due to going straight to the 5.4.5 version - Hikvision recommend not skipping intermediate versions.
A good selection of firmware versions here : DOWNLOAD PORTAL

Your other cameras are China-region cameras, judging from the CCCH in the serial number, so would need the 'enhanced mtd hack' to be able to be upgraded.
For reviving the bricked camera, and for upgrading the other cameras, a suggestion:

Try the brickfixV2 method here :
Unbrick and fully upgrade your R0 / DS-2CD2x32 IP cameras -
R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

zillah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks alastair

I tried your instructions to un-birck it ,although I reset camera twice still ip of it is : 192.168.10.84 (means can rest camera to its default settings)
My computer and camera on the switch no other devices are connected to the switch ,,,set the ip for my desktop to be : 192.168.10.100.
I can ping camera no issue
But when I run ( so far 4 times) the tftp program (I used one by Hikvision v1.0 2007),,,,it stuck on " initialized " but no progress
Regards

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
But when I run ( so far 4 times) the tftp program (I used one by Hikvision v1.0 2007),,,,it stuck on " initialized " but no progress
set the ip for my desktop to be : 192.168.10.100
The Hikvision tftp program requires that the PC IP address=192.0.0.128
The IP address shows in the tftp updater window when it starts.

zillah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes but ip address for the camera can't be changed if PC IP address=192.0.0.128 won't be connectivity between PC and camera

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes but ip address for the camera can't be changed if PC IP address=192.0.0.128 won't be connectivity between PC and camera
When the camera starts up it temporarily uses the IP address 192.0.0.64 to 'probe' for the tftp updater on 192.0.0.128
That's fixed in the bootloader - it's not the same as the IP address configured when the camera is fully running.

zillah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay I will try your advice now and I get back to you
although still I can ping 192.168.10.84 (camera ip)
And SADP showing me the the camera as well with ip address 192.168.10.84

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Hikvision tftp program requires that the PC IP address=192.0.0.128
The IP address shows in the tftp updater window when it starts.
Do they not realize that's a public ip or was it a typo on your part?

Last edited:

zillah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No luck when I changed the ip address for the desktop to 192.0.0.x/24

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
although still I can ping 192.168.10.84 (camera ip)
And SADP showing me the the camera as well with ip address 192.168.10.84
You are confusing the IP address configured in the camera for normal, full, operation with other IP addresses it may use during maintenance modes.

After power on, the camera enables the ethernet interface and sets an IP address of 192.0.0.64
It uses this address to send a 'probe' packet to IP address 192.0.0.128 to determine if the Hikvision tftp updater tool is active.
If it is - they do a handshake and enter a firmware update process.
This is an entirely separate operation to the normal operation of the camera.

If it does not find a tftp updater at 192.0.0.128 the bootloader loads the kernel and bootup proceeds.
Near bootup completion, the kernel enables the ethernet interface, and sets an IP address that it reads from the camera configuration file.

zillah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Noted
Yes actually I got confused.
Now it is working probably

zillah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I followed the instruction and i am at stage where it says :

" When it will drop the payload , fix up mtdblcok1, and reboot into min-system mode for telnet access" I didn't get that ?

"Start the tftp server. If it's the jouinin.net,,,," do I need to use a different tftp server program if initially I used Hikvision TFTP ?

Thx

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What, the 192.0.0.128? Not a typo, not public either.
Oops sorry I forgot the whole 192 block is reserved for various private things, though generally using things outside of 192.168 is frowned upon. 172 is the one that can trip people up.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I followed the instruction and i am at stage where it says :

" When it will drop the payload , fix up mtdblcok1, and reboot into min-system mode for telnet access" I didn't get that ?

"Start the tftp server. If it's the jouinin.net,,,," do I need to use a different tftp server program if initially I used Hikvision TFTP ?
The Hikvision tftp updater is not a normal tftp server. It's possible to 'get' files from it, but not to 'put' files to it.
So yes, there is a need to use a real tftp server.

Suggestion:
Read the first post here : R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.
Read the 'resource list' in the attachment here : R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.
Read the 'step by step guide' in the attachment here, and in conjunction with the guide watch the video here : R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.
Check out the worked example 'telnet transcript' attachment here : R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

zillah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks alastais

Video helped me a lot

I had completed all the steps except one thing I couldn't find anything in mtd6ro_mod file to be replaced

But the problem I can't access the web interface of the camera (by the way the ip address in the attached snapshot is the default one ,,,I did not modify it yet),,,,firmware upgraded to the latest one

Please your help ?

Thanks

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I had completed all the steps except one thing I couldn't find anything in mtd6ro_mod file to be replaced
You have not changed the language byte at location 10 - it is still at '02' which means Chinese, so it's likely that the web access is not working due to a 'language mismatch'. The language byte needs to be 01 if you are using the EN/ML firmware.
Now that you are familiar with the steps, you will need to repeat the process and change the language byte to 01, and also change the checksum value to 0C21 instead of 0C22

zillah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for that will try it now
You have not changed the language byte at location 10 - it is still at '02' which means Chinese, . The language byte needs to be 01 if you are using the EN/ML firmware.
is it in the instruction and I overlooked it ?

so it's likely that the web access is not working due to a 'language mismatch'
Yes one the error message when I tried to access web interface was language mismatch

Now that you are familiar with the steps, you will need to repeat the process and change the language byte to 01, and also change the checksum value to 0C21 instead of 0C22
Will do

zillah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks alastair

issued fixed and everything working fine ,,,,without your help I couldn't do it.

The other two (first one and second one ) in snapshot below if I want to update firmware,,,,,,what would be the recommended procedure to do them ?

Regards