Dome vs. Bullet

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
there are no sd card slots in the hikvision/lts turrets..all cams are supported by mobile apps.
Thanks. That clears that up.

How does the smartphone app access the camera? There has to be some sort of communication protocol. Wifi? Cellular? Ethernet? That's what I don't understand.

Can I plug an ethernet cable from the camera into my router and view it that way? Or does it have to be plugged in to an NVR? These are questions I've been searching for answers on for the past several days. There seems to be a dearth of information for what I had hoped to do. If I bought an NVR, I could find boatloads of info on setup, troubleshooting, etc., etc.

Is what I want to do even possible? I want one camera, with decent optics so the video is not fuzzy, that I can access with a smartphone to configure and view. I don't want to buy an NVR, because I have no plans to add a second camera. I thought that would require wifi.

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dahua sells a turret with mic plus sd card slot.i believe ir distance basically means how far away the cam will show in night vision.i have 64gb micro sd cards on two cams(hik plus huisun cam)they record about 3 days of footage.720p medium settings.the micro sd cards are about $21.

Look what I found on AliExpress
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cAuCmP6u

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Distance isn't an issue for me. It's less than 10 meters from my garage to the curb on the opposite side of the alley. And my security lights are two LEDs that are 120W equivalents, so I may not even need to use night vision. They are triggered by any motion in the alley.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...Does anyone make a turret cam that has wifi? I'm not finding that, which may make this whole project moot.
Why settle for a half-ass solution when -- with just a little more time and effort -- you can have a rock solid solution. Forget WiFi and pluggable memory cards. Run cat5e cable out to the camera location and plus the camera into your router/switch for the most reliable solution.

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why settle for a half-ass solution when -- with just a little more time and effort -- you can have a rock solid solution. Forget WiFi and pluggable memory cards. Run cat5e cable out to the camera location and plus the camera into your router/switch for the most reliable solution.
So I CAN plug it in to the router rather than requiring an NVR? Can I access the cam directly? Or do I need to install software to view it? Would that allow me to access it with my smartphone?

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I CAN plug it in to the router rather than requiring an NVR? Can I access the cam directly? Or do I need to install software to view it? Would that allow me to access it with my smartphone?
You can do that, but without an NVR or SD Card installed, nothing will record. U can watch things real time (few second delay) but otherwise if anything happens in your neighborhood or at your residence, there will be no record of it.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tinycam pro does motion detection with pics to Dropbox and google drive.mobile apps allow recording too with the press of a button or motion detection with tinycam pro(android)